JG 3 REF: KURA/CS/HRMA/21/5
An officer at this level will be deployed to head the HRM & Administration and will be responsible to the Director (Corporate Services). He/she will be in charge of the strategic and professional leadership of the Authority’s HRM and administration functions in order to attract, motivate and retain a competent workforce for the achievement of the Authority’s overall goals and objectives.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Forecast and plan human resource needs in line with the strategic goals of the Authority;
- Sign the Annual Departmental Performance Contract with the Director (Corporate Services), cascade and oversee implementation of agreed targets;
- Manage the recruitment, selection, placement and induction of staff in the Authority;
- Spearhead training and development initiatives based on clearly identified needs and gaps and evaluate the effectiveness of such training;
- Oversee the development of the HRM Department Annual Budget and Procurement Plan;
- Establish initiatives towards a corporate culture that facilitates achievement of Authority’s mission and vision;
- Advice on the development, review and implementation of human resource management policies to facilitate attraction, motivation and retention of staff;
- Provide expert advice to the Board of Directors and Management on all matters relating to human resource management;
- Oversee implementation of Management and Board resolutions;
- Ensure compliance to legislation, rules, regulations and policy frameworks on human resource management matters;
- Oversee development of workload analysis to minimize duplication of tasks, activities and re-design jobs;
- Establish internal monitoring and control systems to ensure Departmental objectives are effectively and efficiently achieved;
- Coordinate succession planning initiatives in the Authority;
- Oversee the management of service contracts and service level agreements for outsourced services;
- Oversee the process of acquiring new service providers related to all outsourced services falling under administration section; enumerate
- Oversee administration services including acquisition and maintenance of assets transport, security, records management, cleaning, space allocation, among others;
- Review and submit periodic reports on human resource management & administration issues to relevant stakeholders;
- Oversee the development of staff welfare and wellness programs;
- Spearhead and promote change management programmes in the Authority;
- Spearhead the formulation and implementation of Performance Management Systems for the Authority;
- Manage departmental risks; and
- Serve as a link between management and employees in grievance and dispute resolution.
Qualifications and Experience
For appointment to this grade, a candidate must;-
- Minimum ten (10) years relevant work experience and at least five (5) years in a supervisory role in comparable and relevant position in the Public Service or Private Sector;
- Must have served as an Assistant Director (HRM) or its equivalent for at least three (3) years in a comparable organization;
- Bachelor’s Degree in any of the following disciplines:- Human Resource Management, Personnel Management, Public Administration, Business Administration or equivalent qualifications from a recognized institution;
- Master’s Degree in any of the following; Human Resource Management, Human Resource Development, Industrial Relations, Business Administration or equivalent qualification from a recognized institution will be an added advantage;
- Certified Human Resource Professional (CHRP)/Higher Diploma in HRM or its equivalent from a recognized institution;
- Valid Practicing Licence from IHRM;
- Certificate in Senior Management course lasting not less than four (4) weeks from a recognized institution;
- Be a Full Member in good standing of the Institute of Human Resource Management; and
- Must have demonstrated merit and ability as reflected in work performance and results.
Functional Skills and Behavioral Competencies/Attributes
- Understanding of labour laws
- Leadership and managerial skills
- ICT skills including use of HRIS, ERP, etc.
- Negotiation skills
- Conflict management and problem solving skills
- Presentation and communication skills
- Financial management and budgeting skills
- Counselling, coaching and mentoring skills
- Ability to articulate and interpret policies and procedures
- Emotional intelligence
Terms of Service and Remuneration
The successful candidate will serve on contract for a period of three years, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and delivery of set performance targets and outcomes. An attractive remuneration package and benefits determined by the Board and relevant authorities in line with public sector guidelines will be offered to the successful candidate.
Kenya Urban Roads Authority (KURA) Salary
Interested and eligible candidates are urged to access the Mandatory KURA Job Application Form as well as the detailed job descriptions and specifications available on the KURA website; www.kura.go.ke/careers and fill all required fields, sign and date the form and attach copies of all certificates, transcripts, Curriculum Vitae and other testimonials and submit through this Email: [email protected]
The application should clearly bear the Job tittle and reference number so as to be received on or before 27th April 2021 at 5.00pm (East African Time). Late applications shall not be accepted.
HARD COPIES SHALL NOT BE ACCEPTED
Shortlisted candidates will be required to present originals of the following documents during the interviews;
- National Identity Card;
- Academic and Professional Certificates and transcripts;
- Any other supporting documents and testimonials; and
- Clearances from the following bodies:
- Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA);
- Higher Education Loans Board (HELB);
- Any of the registered Credit Reference Bureaus (CRB); and
- Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) - Police Clearance Certificate
Clearance by the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC) will be sought by the Authority in line with the Commission’s Circular dated 9th April 2020.
KURA is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and gender equality. Qualified Women, Youth, Persons Living with Disabilities and persons from marginalized communities are encouraged to apply. Any form of canvasing and giving false information in employment application form will lead to automatic disqualification. Only those cleared by the EACC pursuant to their Public Notice dated 9th April 2020, shall be contacted for interviews.