Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Main purpose of job:
The Finance Officer will join the BHC Joint Corporate Services team in providing support to the wider High Commission and will support the Senior Finance Officer, principally in undertaking financial analysis of cost base for services, Local Staff pay, rents etc. They will prepare financial costings and budget adjustments, including for staffing changes, and coordinate monthly updates to budgets and forecasts on the FCO’s Hyperion system.
They will also undertake the ground work for the annual Medium Term Financial Planning (MTFP) exercise, coordinating with teams around the Mission to prepare 4 year forecasts of their requirements, adjusting it to reflect any changes in the footprint of the mission. The Finance Officer will also play a co-ordination role between Nairobi and the Regional Hubs in Pretoria and Milton Keynes and Manila on budgeting, monitoring and payment processing.
Roles and responsibilities :
Budgeting and Forecasting (50%)
- Supporting MTFP preparation and compilation of the return
- Organize/facilitate one to one finance catch-ups with budget holders and help resolve challenges they are experiencing with budgeting & forecasting
- Coordination internally of the quarterly budget reporting returns, ensuring budget holders are completing accurate forecasts and providing comprehensive commentary on Hyperion
- Coordination of budget monitoring and reporting, ensuring relevant FPCI targets are met
- Preparing reports on local expenditure for Corporate Services Director and other Government Departments
- Supporting budget holders in resolving any budgeting and forecasting issues and remaining familiar with progress within the wider BHC operations.
Financial Oversight (35%)
- Play a co-ordination role between Nairobi and the Regional Hubs in Pretoria and Milton Keynes and Manila on budgeting, monitoring and payment processing.
- To check for completeness and accuracy of fixed assets register, collaborate with teams to monitor asset disposal and movements
- To conduct spot checks on BHC stores, imprest and contingencies to test for compliance and adherence to financial rules
- Provide suggestions and recommendations for improved financial results based on monthly financial performance reports.
- Ensure all finance processes are followed within post and provide general finance and P2P guidance, answering queries and questions regarding process and policy.
- Identify challenges and review actions needed to improve or correct processes and routines at post.
Financial Analysis and Estimates (10%)
- Supporting Senior Finance Officer in ensuring appropriate cash flow and sufficient funding through the year.
- Monitoring recharges to other government departments and supporting implementation of the new Service Level Agreement.
- Supporting teams in collation and compilation of periodic financial returns
- Preparing journals and manual invoices to correct mischarging and allocate costs to the correct cost centre.
- Supporting Senior Finance Officer on finance housekeeping, including maintaining high Financial Performance (FPCI) scores & Key Performance Indicators (KPI).
- Providing cover for Finance Assistant in payroll processing and payment for over 200 staff, ensuring correct filing and reporting of statutory deductions.
- Provide cover for Finance Assistant and Senior Finance Officer when on leave on staff payroll preparation, cash office management and checking of Prism payment batches.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Business Degree in Finance or Accounting.
- Minimum CPA (K) or ACCA finalist.
- Minimum 4 years working experience in budget management/ Finance management, accounting and analysis
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- Extensive experience of developing good working relationships with key stakeholders at all levels;
- Excellent IT skills (a good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word is essential);
- Good communication skills, attention to detail and initiative.
- A flexible approach and good team working skills
Collaborating and Partnering, Building Capability for All, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
Starting monthly salary () : KES 156,135.88
Start Date : 1 May 2021
Other benefits and conditions of employment
Learning and development opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed):
The British High Commission provides in-house training courses through the year, and offers training courses at regional hubs in Pretoria and Manila. Professional membership fees and continuous professional development opportunity up to 40 CPDs per year.
Working patterns: 7:15 AM -4:00 PM – Monday to Thursday
7:45 AM -13:00PM – Friday
- Due to COVID 19, you may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign. We are working hard to minimize any disruption.
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Nairobi are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Kenya.
- It is essential that the applicants already have the right to live and work in Kenya without the need to apply for a work permit
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework Please note: Job grade AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
- Please log into your profile on the application system on a regular basis to review the status of your application