Never pay for any CBT, test or assessment as part of any recruitment process. When in doubt, contact us
Educate! works to transform education in Africa to teach youth to solve poverty for themselves and their communities.
Educate! provides youth with skills training in leadership, entrepreneurship and workforce readiness along with mentorship to start real businesses at school. Our model is delivered through practically-trained teachers and youth mentors. E...
We have already partnered with governments in Rwanda and Kenya to support skills-based curriculum reforms through our education system solutions, and results from a rigorous impact evaluation have shown that our cost-effective solutions create a real impact on youth through national education systems. The Strategist will work closely with the Chief Education Innovations Officer, Regional Director of Partnerships and government advocacy experts, and our programs teams in Kenya and Rwanda to continue developing program models that support long-term changes to education systems and meaningful, sustainable curriculum reforms.
The right person for this role will:
- Have experience in co-designing reform strategies with policymakers or government partners, and thrive on the collaborative design process. Experience might come from work in consultancy, government policy or service design, or change management expert.
- Enjoy devising strategies for growth and influencing stakeholders to bring about results in complex environments.
- Make data- or evidence-based decisions. Experience running experiments, product development processes, or human-centered design processes is a plus.
- Be motivated to work with government education systems to create a broad and sustainable impact on youth through those systems.
Influence and co-design government policy
- Partner with Educate! leadership to devise outreach strategies to new governments and set expansion roadmaps, in line with the wider growth strategy for Education System Solutions.
- Lead the design of advocacy agendas for curriculum and pedagogical reforms to maximise Educate!’s impact for youth through new government partnerships.
- Lead the design and facilitation of government engagement processes, such as multi-stakeholder dialogues, learning experiences and co-design workshops, to influence government policy.
- Co-design theories of change and implementation strategies with government partners, identifying behaviour change processes for key education system actors to ensure sustained impact for youth.
- Lead a team of Designers to ensure the preparation of innovative and high quality materials for all government engagement, including strategy documents, workshop agendas, facilitation guides, education system analyses, talking points for policymakers, benchmarking reports and policy briefs.
Experiment to validate product ideas in new countries
- Partner with the M&E Director to design user and stakeholder research for product development in new contexts.
- Collaborate with policymakers to create procedures for experimentation to validate new product ideas and innovations.
- Build and oversee development of prototypes & pre-tests.
- Gather and analyze user feedback to inform product iterations and improvement.
Design product learning systems with governments, to ensure the progression of Educate’s advocacy agenda.
- Collaborate with government teams to brainstorm and assess new program/product ideas to implement agreed reform strategies.
- Foster a culture of learning with government counterparts to ensure government policy adapts to user feedback and insights.
- Adapt product strategies and Educate!’s advocacy agenda based on government and payer priorities, while ensuring a clear skills-based theory of change.
- Advise country and advocacy teams on the development of governance structures or processes to support long term government partnerships with Educate!, such as steering groups, learning cycles, and adaptive management techniques.
Product and practice leader for government co-design
- Partner with the Chief Education Innovations Officer to define the vision, framework, roadmap and positioning for Educate!’s co-design work with governments.
- Continuously review international best practices in government co-design and reform facilitation techniques to ensure Educate!’s design standards are informed by the latest innovations and evidence.
- Lead the codification of Educate’s co-design method and Standard Operating Procedures, establishing ‘ways of working’ manuals, design standards and developing practical tools for use in government engagement.
- Grow Educate’s internal capacity for government co-design, creating a cross-county ‘hub’ to promote approaches across countries and leading the professional development of team members.
- Design and implement a knowledge management system to ensure experiences, knowledge and toolkits are routinely shared across countries of operation.
- Develop business cases for Educate! investments in products, partnerships, technical advisory services and government initiatives within the Education Systems Solution Line (ESS).
- Report progress on expansion strategies to senior leadership, including pipeline and dashboard monitoring reports.
Characteristics and traits
- User-centric: always thinking about the user experience, seeking the users voice in your product development process, and working with your users to build a responsive product that meets them at their point of need
- Excited about influencing behaviour change through developing strategies with government partners that lead to long-term behaviour change
- Collaborative and astute communicator able to connect, communicate with and establish good working relationships with high level government counterparts, cross-functional teams across different levels of the organization and across geographies
- Decision maker: experience making decisions at a leadership level, getting buy-in and steering the teams you work with to implement them
What else do you need to know?
As an education systems strategist you will lead product strategy that is focused on behaviour and policy change through working with an education system and the stakeholders within it.
Qualifications and Profile
- Dynamic experience in public sector preferred, with a background in change management, consultancy, innovation leadership or large scale government reforms, preferably in sub-Saharan Africa
- Demonstrated ability to operate well in complex and fast-changing environments.
- 8+ years work experience, with 5+ years of management and/or leadership experience
- Strategic thinker, with demonstrated understanding of education system and education reform strategies
- Experience of collaborative design and facilitation techniques, in a public sector or social impact setting.
- Passion for Educate!’s mission is a must, but past work in education or youth development is not required. We value diverse perspectives and encourage applications from people with a variety of backgrounds.