This post is located in the Nairobi duty station, the Client and Solutions Services Team(CSST) within Information and Communications Technology Services (ICTS) of the Division of Administrative Services, UNON. The incumbent reports to the supervisor of the Service. Under the supervision of the Chief, ICTS, and within delegated authority, The Programme Management Officer is responsible for the planning, implementation and monitoring of strategic ICT projects and programmes within the Service.
- Participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects; monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions.
- Participate in providing guidance for the development and roll-out of locally tailored crosscutting ICT strategic initiatives in close coordination with clients.
- Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources.
- Performs consulting assignments, in collaboration with the client, by planning facilitating workshops, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the client will use to manage the change.
- Assists in guidance development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies.
- Undertakes survey initiatives; designs data collection tools; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares conclusions.
- Prepares various written outputs, including client engagement business analytics reports. e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications.
- Provides substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations.
- Undertakes ICT client and new business activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
- Coordinates activities related to budget and funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget).
- Performs other related duties as required.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to particular sector, functional area or other specialized field. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- PLANNING & ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- CLIENT ORIENTATION: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in business administration, management, economics or a related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, administration or related area.
- Experience with United Nations system or similar international organizations is required.
- Experience in PRINCE2 or project management methodologies is required.
- Work experience in project management preferably leading ICT programmes or projects is required.
- Experience in implementing cross-cutting projects at the national or regional levels is desirable.
- Experience with MS PowerBI or other similar self-service analytics tools is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another United Nations language is an added advantage.
NOTE: "fluency equals a rating of "fluent" in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and "Knowledge of" equals a rating of "confident" in two of the four areas.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
This position is open for recruitment for an initial period of one year and may be subject to extension. Staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and to assignment by him or her. In this context, all staff are expected to move periodically to new functions in their careers in accordance with established rules and procedures.
The United Nations Secretariat is committed to achieving 50/50 gender balance in its staff. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Pursuant to section 7.11 of ST/AI/2012/2/ Rev.1, candidates recruited through the young professionals programme who have not served for a minimum of two years in the position of their initial assignment are not eligible to apply to this position.
Internal Applicants – when completing the PHP, ensure ALL fields, ALL professional experience and contact information are completed and up to date. This information is the basis for the hiring manager to assess your eligibility and suitability for the position and to contact you.
Individual contractors and consultants who have worked within the UN Secretariat in the last six months, irrespective of the administering entity, are ineligible to apply for professional and higher temporary or fixed-term positions and their applications will not be considered.
On-line applications will be acknowledged where an email address has been provided. All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply on-line as soon as possible after the job opening has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the job opening. If you do not receive an e-mail acknowledgement within 24 hours of submission, your application may not have been received. If the problem persists, please seek technical assistance through the Inspira "need Help" link.