Are you ready to tackle one of the biggest human health challenges in the biomedical equipment ecosystem? We’re looking for an enthusiastic Project Manager to oversee two technology pilot projects in Kenya—with an additional pilot on the way in Ethiopia—all in the Neonatal & Intensive Care Unit and life-saving equipment management sector. This is a 12-month independent contractor role, with potential for longer-term renewal, reporting to the Nexleaf Medical Equipment Program Manager.
Now more than ever, our work provides a timely opportunity to ensure life-saving equipment investments around the globe result in sustainable returns. Our vision is to bring real-world visibility into the critical barriers preventing the use of life-saving equipment to improve equipment performance, reduce equipment graveyards, and ultimately impact better health outcomes globally.
The ideal candidate is someone who has a passion for data-driven solutions and is excited about overseeing an innovative multi-country project. You will partner with our diverse team to implement a user-centered approach to improve sector knowledge on the interdependencies among power availability, power quality, and biomedical equipment use. You will be working directly with countries and stakeholders to gain a deep understanding of the needs of end-users on the ground to inform the design and development of new IoT technologies and data platforms. To learn more about the Medical Equipment Program, please find the latest information on our website.
In this role, you will:
- Manage a Multi-Country Pilot to Achieve Milestones
- Project coordination and oversight of in-country implementation in Nairobi, Kenya (and remote management of potential pilot project in Ethiopia)
- Coordinate logistics, procurement, shipment, and troubleshooting processes for hardware
- Regular field travel to support data logging device deployment, installation, and troubleshooting to ensure high quality of data collection and project implementation
- Collaborate with in-country partners to conduct interviews with healthcare workers, biomedical technicians, and other stakeholders to understand challenges around utilization and maintenance of life-saving equipment used in ICU settings
- Facilitate communication chproject milestones and reporting to Program Manager
- Be an Advocate for Global Data
- Lead field data collection including end-user feedback to inform data use-cases and the design and development of innovative dashboard and analytics
- Partner with Program Manager and Data Analyst on data analysis and interpretation to gain a deep understanding of how the data analyses and products we generate resonate with governments and funders, and relay that information to the data team to inform our data visualizations, reports and dashboards
- Document and communicate technology feature requests and help prioritize improvements that meet user needs
- Collaborate with internal and external teams to generate lean data-driven reports and think pieces that motivate stakeholders to improve their impact and decision-making
- Champion Growth and Impact
- Represent Nexleaf’s impact with the Medical Equipment program, as well as cultivate new partnerships across countries (including signing MOUs with ministries)
- Partner with the Program Manager to inform program growth strategies based on local context
- Work with Program Manager to design and implement program evaluations to ensure we are constantly learning and improving on our approach
- Engage with potential and existing funders and share milestones and meaningful progress
- Lead trainings, workshops, and pilot Nexleaf’s technologies
- Support proposal generation for new initiatives
- Attending conferences and workshops as needed in Kenya and virtually around the world
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent experience) in Public Health, Public Administration or similar fields (Master’s preferred)
- At least 3-4 years of project coordination/management experience
- Must be tech-savvy and able to work with both device hardware and software
- Experience with field-work in Kenya (Ethiopia experience also preferred)
- Resourceful and resilient problem solver with the ability to overcome roadblocks in low-resource settings by using good judgment and creativity
- Fluency in English
- Proficient writing skills and ability to produce lean reports and documents
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, public speaking and relationship building skills
- Ability to work with data
- Must be available for regular evening and occasional weekend calls to communicate with team members and stakeholders in global time zones
- Must be able to travel to health care settings with safety precautions during and after COVID-19 pandemic in Nairobi, Kenya (personal protective equipment (PPE) will be provided by Nexleaf)
- Can thrive in an early-stage program and be willing to adapt to changing priorities and demands of the program
- Familiarity with IoT projects in the health sector
- Familiarity working in clinical settings
- Experience leading impact-driven program roll-out and operations in LMICs
- Experience with both quantitative and qualitative research such as conducting interviews
- Data analysis/research background
- Experience with remote management
- Experience with leading training sessions and workshops
- Background working in smaller organizations with high levels of uncertainty and complexity
A successful candidate will bring proven experience and the ability to anticipate problems and identify solutions. This position requires the skill and temperament to address any potential conflicts with contracting or partner organizations with level-headedness, as well as a commitment to fairness, honesty, and respect in professional relationships. Additionally, a successful candidate will be highly detail oriented, tech savvy, comfortable with data collection and analysis, and be able to pick up on the context and sensitivities of working in and around a hospital intensive care unit.
Our headquarters is based in California, USA (Pacific Standard Time), so the candidate should be comfortable with various modes of communication (e.g. Zoom, Gmail, Whatsapp) as well as the time difference when getting on calls/meetings.
- Amazing start-up culture that's purpose-driven and highly collaborative
- Fast-paced, high performing team focused on learning and getting better every day
- Benefits includes flexible work hours and a work/life balance
Nexleaf Analytics is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All employment decisions shall be made without regard to age, race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, disability status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, citizenship status or any other basis as protected by federal, state or local law.