Pawame is transforming the lives of individuals and entire communities, starting with modern energy access. Pawame operates anywhere underserved people are, pushing boundaries deep into some of the most rural communities on the continent while functioning sustainably and with integrity. Pawame is a partner to its customers from their first interaction wit...
Read more about this company
ABOUT THE ROLE
The mission of the Sales & Marketing Director is to drive the company’s sustainable revenue growth within the confines of the function’s top-down budget allocation.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
KEY ACTIVITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE ROLE
Sales: Achieve and maintain month on month average revenue growth, as stipulated in the financial model by December 31st 2020 and on wards
- Effectively recruit and manage the performance of the Sales and Marketing management team.
- Coach and guide regional managers in order to maximize the sales potential in their regions.
- Optimize existing sales channels and develop innovative new ones in order to diversify the organization’s sales capability.
Sales: Optimize and Standardize existing sales channels by December 31 2020
- Optimize and standardize field sales methods in order to effectively measure their performance and ensure continuous growth and sound ROI:
- Door to Door
- Market Storms
- Group sales
- Assess & redesign the function of the Tele sales team in order to elevate their contribution to at least 20% of total revenue by December 31 2020.
Sales: Increase the average revenue generated per sales agent per month by 50% by December 31 2020 and by a further 100% by December 31 2021
Effectively restructure the management of the field sales force, ensuring excellence in sales agent recruitment, training and career development, resulting in:
- Significantly higher average productivity.
- Significantly longer tenure with the company.
Sales: Develop and execute a sales strategy that assures an average of at least 80% repayment efficiency over the first 3-months of payments post-sale
- Design and implement an effective incentive compensation structure that will:
- Be cost effective with respect to the unit economics Attract top talent in the industry.
- Ensure adequate drive in generating new sales.
- Ensure adequate drive in ensuring strong repayment behaviors.
- Work with HC, ICT and other functions in the organization to ensure that the agents are well equipped with resources and systems to pursue incentives successfully.
Business Development: Define and develop at least 2 new sales channels with clear performance management metrics, with each comprising at least 20% of total new revenue generation, reducing overall average customer acquisition costs by at least 20% by December 31 2021
- Develop a third sales channel, that is separate from field and Telesales, comprising of at least 20% of new revenue generation by June 30 2021.
- Develop At least one additional sales channel based on a national partnership, comprising of at least 20% of new revenue generation by December 31 2021.
Marketing: Align the company’s mission, vision brand and unique value proposition across the sales organization
Differentiate the organization from its peers and emphasize its core values across:
- Marketing materials
- Agent Training curriculum
- Branding of agents and county shops
- Market activation initiatives
KEY CROSS-FUNCTIONAL RELATIONSHIP & INTERFACES
Manage the Sales & Marketing functional budget and ensuring adequate processes ad systems in place for reconciliation of all monies issued.
Human Capital & Admin
Reporting on audited individual performance and Implementation of policies related to recruitment, onboarding, compensation, performance management and off-boarding.
Inventory & Logistics Management
Delivery of sales forecasts by county and region, working with the team in prioritizing stock where necessary.
Enable new product introductions and providing feedback on the existing product portfolio.
Required Education & Certifications
- Bachelor Degree from a reputable university in a relevant field.
- Bachelor Degree from a reputable university in a relevant field; ideally business management, with a specialization in Sales & Marketing.
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration or Marketing.
Certification is Field Sales Management.
5-10 years of senior Sales & Marketing experience in a related commercial field: financial services, mobile-money or other commission-based products in Kenya.
10-20 years of senior Sales & Marketing experience in a related commercial field: financial services, mobile-money or other commission-based products across multiple countries in Sub Saharan Africa.
- Proven ability to build and manage a network of field offices and regional representatives, with support functions, in a comparable industry.
- Proven ability to lead planning and execution of national scale marketing campaigns and activities.
- Excellent computer literacy and communication skills with a strong affinity towards professional documentation and document control.
- Proven ability to build and manage relations within a fast- growing startup, and small retail entrepreneurs in rural areas.
- Proven ability to co-develop an effective training program for field service sales/operations with a track record of measurable success in outcomes.
- Capacity to innovate, creating new processes and structures for distribution.
- Capacity to develop and manage annual functional plans and budgets with quarterly reviews, along with a keen attitude towards individual performance management.
- English fluency.
- Leadership: Inspire & Lead. Motivate each employee in terms relevant to them while pulling the whole team together in pursuit of shared goals. Leading by example that will emulate behaviors demonstrated.
- Communication: Two-way communication is critical for this role. Ensuring buy in from employees into change initiatives and ensuring a strong feedback loop is necessary to drive performance and continuous improvement.
- Negotiation skills: the role will require strong negotiation skills in order to make the case for sales and marketing initiatives that require changes to the budget. In a startup with limited funds, negotiating your budget will be key to driving the top line.
- Attitude: This is what makes you stand out. An attitude to remain positive, to learn and to accept the situation you are in, in order to get your function out of crippling challenges is necessary for the success of challenging business models such as PAYG Solar.
- Analytical skills: Data drives decisions, Successful Sales & Marketing Directors must be able to seek and understand the data that can be made available to them, in order to spot trends, create campaigns and measure outcomes.
- At Pawame, we are a diverse team of highly energized local and international people, committed to listening to the needs of our consumers in the rural populations in East Africa without access to clean energy. Everyone from our intern to the founders contributes to our success in different ways.
- Every team member in Pawame has the same drive and excitement towards achieving our goals. Working hard and being creative are synonymous in our startup life.
- You will have the opportunity to directly impact low-income off-grid consumers, dramatically improving the lives of many families.