Adeso is a humanitarian and development organization that is changing the way people think about and deliver aid in Africa.
Read more about this company
The Finance Officer will provide financial support to Adeso’s programs both in Kenya and Somalia. Based in Nairobi, Kenya, the staff will be a full-time member of the Adeso Team, playing a crucial role in providing finance support for the team. The position holder will principally work with the finance Team on day-to-day basis under the direct supervision of the Finance Coordinator in Nairobi. The Finance Officer is responsible for all aspects of supporting the team in financial management, ensuring compliance with Adeso’s internal policies and procedures as well as donor regulations.
The main purpose of the position is to provide technical support in the Accounting process through financial reporting and internal control management.
SPECIFIC ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Finance and Accounting
- Provide accounting support to the project and management team while ensuring compliance with internal controls, donor regulations and budget restrictions;
- Record accounting transactions including coding of payment vouchers before making payments and ensure an efficient, proper and transparent financial filing system of all documents (e.g. monthly payment of bills, contracts, rent and local salaries)related to finance are maintained;
- Prepare and examine accounting records, financial statements and other financial reports and ensure accuracy, completeness and conformance to reporting and procedural standards;
- Make sure that proper filing systems are put in place for audit trail. This includes the correct labeling and the arrangement of vouchers into the files showing pre-numbered reference numbers. Responsible that all the files are up to date for good internal controls.
- Assist the Finance Coordinator in collating cash requests and monitor the cash and bank balances to be minimum balances at all times.
- Reconciling Bank, Cash, Advance and Control Accounts in the system for every month for the HQ office before the month end closure
- Plan for cash flow requirements for the project and submit updated cash forecast and monthly cash requests to the project accountant on a timely basis;
- Process and make payments as provided in the approved budget;
- Ensure timely recovery of all advances including travel and mid-month advances and provide monthly update of any outstanding advances to the finance officer;
- Assist with facilitation of internal and external audit procedures as required.
- Review bank reconciliations and ensure they are prepared each month per finance procedures
- Register all expenditures and every transaction in the Microsoft Dynamics according to program and projects budgets, and ensure that reports produced from the accounting system reflect the true position of Adeso financial performance
- Monitor financial performance for all grants and produce reports according to donor reporting requirements
- Facilitate transfer of funds to Field offices and ensure close monitoring of utilization of funds
- Execute other tasks and responsibilities assigned by the Finance Coordinator.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration supplemented by professional courses in Finance/Accounting or any other related field.
- Two years of progressively responsible work experience at professional level in finance and office administration.
- Good writing and communication skills with supervisory ability.
- Ability to establish harmonious working relations in an international and multicultural environment.
- Good level of spoken and written English.
- Analytical skills and negotiating skills.
- Willingness to travel to remote field locations.
- Ability to work independently and work collaboratively as part of a team in a challenging and a highly fluid environment.
- Demonstrated attentions to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and cooperatively with team members are required.
- Basic knowledge in computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheets and power point.
- Ability to live and work in an isolated area in conditions of limited comfort.
- High degree of cultural sensitivity.
- Knowledge of English language and the local working language of the duty station is a requirement.
- Spoken and written Somali is an added advantage.
go to method of application »
The Finance Assistant will report to the Finance Coordinator. S/he will support the Finance Team by assessing, monitoring and addressing the status of internal controls and all compliance aspects in Adeso. S/he will be responsible for supporting all the primary financial and accounting functions in the Kenya office and ensuring financial transactions and records are undertaken and maintained in accordance with internal and external financial requirements.
The purpose of this role is to work alongside the Finance Team and in close co-operation with the Operations and Human Resources Department to minimize operational risks in relation Adeso operations.
SPECIFIC ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Capturing financial data into the financial system by following the relevant Adeso and donor regulations.
- Preparing payment requisitions and relevant documents and processing payment.
- Maintaining payable schedules and records of all invoices received from vendors and service providers.
- Ensuring timely payments of monthly bills and utilities to vendors, suppliers and service providers.
- Managing schedules and files for statutory deductions.
- Preparing statutory payments such as withholding tax, withholding V.A.T, HELB, NSSF, NHIF, NITA and ensuring compliance with the regulatory bodies.
- Ensuring regular monitoring of the bank account(s).
- Preparing bank reconciliations and follow up on any outstanding items.
- Undertaking a monthly cash verification procedure to ensure proper use of the imprest.
- Maintaining an updated filing system and ensuring posting of all transactions.
- Maintain a monthly creditor aged analysis.
- Maintaining proper and the appropriate filing of the electronic and hard copies of the financial documents and reports.
- Preparing monthly reconciliations of balance sheet items with all necessary supporting documentation (invoice/vendor statements, bank statement and staff travel and other advances).
- Support in audits
- Carry out any other duties that may reasonably or exceptionally be required to ensure the smooth operation of the Finance Department and the Organization.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Business Studies from a reputable university.
- A professional seeking accountancy qualification, such as CPA or ACCA
- Minimum of 2 years’ work experience in a reputable firm or company, relevant work experience in an NGO will be added advantage
- Computer literate and working experience with NAVISION (SERENIC) accounting package.
- Good understanding of donor rules and regulations requirements.
- Proficient in spoken and written English.
Demonstrated ability to work a team setting.
Initiative and independent judgement is required by the incumbent in determining what needs to be done and the best working methods.
The incumbent should be versatile and flexible so as to quickly adapt to changing situations.
Method of Application
This is a challenging opportunity for a dedicated and highly motivated professional. If you would like to join this dynamic team, please submit your application to [email protected] , quoting the position in the email subject matter, by 12th May, 2021
Each application should be addressed to HR and include the following:
An updated CV with updated contact details: Phone No., Email Address and Skype ID; and
An application letter which should include cover letter, remuneration requirements and contact information for three work-related referees.
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Adeso is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on one’s background, beliefs, gender or sexual orientation.
Note: Never pay for any training, certificate, assessment, or testing to the recruiter.