Reference Number: RMOI-12-11-21
Category: Clinical Healthcare and Research
Job Grade: 8.03
The Health Economic Resaerch Unit department under which this position falls focused on Health Policy and Systems Research, contributing to research focused on health services, economics, policy and on the management environment of health facilities.
A newly funded 3-year QuEST project aims at building the evidence base to support transformation to high quality health systems by improving measurement, testing solutions, and creating generalizable knowledge in partnership with changemakers in low- and middle-income countries (https://questnetwork.org/). The objectives of the QuEST project are to to deliver critical research expertise to strengthen evidence on improving health systems. The goal is to have health system that are responsive to the people that they aim to serve by working closely with country governments and global partners to design and test future health system models and measures. This will be accomplished through preparing the base for service delivery redesign-by conducting feasibility assessments and codeveloping models for service delivery redesign for maternal and newborn survival and by developing and testing an E-Cohorts for Maternal and Newborn Health.The project is seeking a Medical Research Officer to support activities related to feasibility assessment of the service delivery redesign in one county and lead the design and testing of the e-cohort while working closely and supervising junior team members supporting these research activities.
REPORTS TO: Study PI and Study Supervisor.
DIRECT REPORTS: None
INDIRECT REPORTS: None
BUDGET AND RESOURCE RESPONSIBILITY: Responsible for allocated hardware and software
Under the direction of supervisor to:
- Coordinate activities across the service delivery re-design and e-cohort components of the Kenya QuEST centre and in collaboration with other QuEST centres
- Support activities to design and undertake feasibility assessment of service delivery redesign in one county in Kenya
- Lead the design, testing and implementation of an e-cohort by validating measures longitudinally mapping the care trajectory and health outcomes of mothers and newborns
- Collate, clean and archive data associated with both the service delivery redesign and e-cohort research activities
- Undertake qualitative and quantitative analysis and appropriately document these analyses
- Develop written reports on the analyses conducted and their interpretation
- Develop peer-reviewed manuscript quality reports for submission for publication
- Engage and support consultations with local, regional and national governments and other key stakeholders
- To provide support in analysis to less experienced research staff / interns / collaborators
- And any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
The successful applicant will have:
- Holders of Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (M.B; Ch.B.) degree or its equivalent degree from any recognized university or institution
- Masters degree in relevant subspecialty (e.g. Health Systems Management, Public Health)
- Proven research experience and ability to undertake mixed methods research
- Strong leadership, organisational and planning ability
- Highly developed oral and written scientific English as evidenced by scientific publications.
- Experience in undertaking research in a cross-cultural context
- Previous clinical experience in clinical research leading to publication
- Excellent understanding of and experience in procedures for ensuring high quality data management
- Good understanding/ experience of the Kenyan health system.
- Project and team management skills an added advantage
- Demonstrated ability to act with sound judgement, sensitivity, and flexibility, and to exercise initiative in adapting preferred approaches when and where required
- Experience in use of STATA and / or ‘R’ for analysis of health data.
- Experience using Nvivo/equivalent for Qualitative research analysis
- Have high energy, clear goal orientation and strong work ethics
- Strong organisation/programme management skills with the ability to prioritise workloads and work within tight deadlines
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment and to multi-task
- Ability to interact with users/ office use in simple non-technical language
PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT/CONDITIONS: This position will be entirely based in Nairobi even though currently working from home.
go to method of application »
Job Grade: 6.01
This role is responsible for development of databases in the environment in accordance to the set standards to meet business objectives. Work includes a broad range of complex technical or professional activities, in a variety of contexts. Investigates, defines and resolves complex issues.
Software Development Manager
- Administer database management system support activities for operational database systems.
- Gather requirements, design build, and implement study databases and data collection tools
- Evaluate potential solutions, demonstrate, install and commission selected products.
- Translate object and data models into appropriate database schemas within design constraints.
- Integrate data across applications and DBMSs.
- Set data constraints and perform data cleanup to ensure data quality;
- Facilitate database development and implementation processes;
- Liaise with developers on development project requirements and implement physical database structures;
- Develop basic knowledge of database concepts, object and data modelling techniques and design principles;
- Assesses proposed changes to objects and data structures and implement changes in physical databases;
- Interpret installation standards to meet project needs and produces database components as required;
- Ensure data security by controlling data access through user authentication and connecting applications;
- Develop, manage and test back-up and recovery plans;
- Capacity planning by projecting resource utilization;
- Monitor performance and manage parameters to provide fast responses to front-end users;
- Conduct database backup, storage and archiving; and
- Writing database documentation, including data standards, procedures and definitions for the data dictionary (metadata).
- Improve and document the technical processes around application support (using Confluence)
- Bachelor’s degree computer science or in related specialization of study
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in database management in environments with Opensource SQL database (MySQL/Maria DB, PostgreSQL). 1 year supervisory experience is an added advantage.
- Experience in with different database environments and integrating them with web and mobile applications
- Familiarity with architecture styles/APIs (REST, RPC)
- Experience in maintaining and debugging live software applications and databases
- Knowledge and experience working with agile methodologies.
- At least one DBA certification e.g., OCA, MYSQL, MCSA
- Experience in Electronic Data Collection systems such e.g., Redcap, Open Clinica
- Experience in working in a research institution
- Experience with Azure
- Demonstrate high levels of integrity
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to multi-task and stay organized in a dynamic work environment
- Ability to provide adhoc support to different database environments
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills, both in writing and oral
- Logical diagnostic skills and ability to exercise good judgement in the resolution of problems
- Ability to learn new programming languages quickly.
- Ability to write, edit, and debug computer programs to achieve desired output.
- Strong understanding of the software development cycle.
- Good presentation skills;