AFIDEP is looking to recruit suitably qualified and experienced persons to fill the position of Communications Officer. The Communications Officer will Contribute to the design and implementation of AFIDEP’s policy engagement, branding and communications strategy to raise AFIDEP’s profile and impact as a regional research and policy institute. The officer will manage development of and write content for institutional publications such as the annual report, newsletters, African Development Perspectives as well as the website and social media accounts. The successful candidate will facilitate engagement with policymakers and support research staff in translating evidence and packaging it into policy oriented and general reading outputs including policy briefs, infographics, blogs, media releases, media kits, Op-Eds, videos, podcasts, and photo-stories. The Officer will contribute to capacity building of AFIDEP staff, other researchers, policy makers, and journalists in communications and evidence informed decision making. The job-holder will establish and sustain links and contact with journalists and media houses to ensure visibility of AFIDEP’s work in the media.
The Communications officer should have a Masters’ Degree in Communications, Media or International Relations, with at least 5 years’ experience in science and development communications, excellent writing, editing, networking, and verbal communication skills.
This position could be based at either AFIDEP’s Nairobi office or Lilongwe office.
- PEC strategy: Contribute to the design and implementation of AFIDEP’s policy engagement and communications
- Branding: Contribute to the development of a recognizable AFIDEP brand as a leading policy institute in promoting and enabling evidence uptake in development efforts in all sectors, and supporting evidence synthesis and use; Expand AFIDEP’s partnerships and facilitate participation in key policy
- Publications: Create, design, edit and produce content for various institutional and technical publications. Write stories and blogs based on AFIDEP’s programmes and projects for publishing in newsletters, AFIDEP website, and other development blogs websites; Prepare content and produce AFIDEP’s IEC materials, mainly in relation to programmes in Kenya, and Eastern and West
- Media and multi-media: Implement a robust media engagement strategy that includes to establish and sustain links and contact with relevant journalists in Kenya and Eastern and West Africa to increase awareness of AFIDEP’s work among journalists; Develop media materials based on evidence generated by AFIDEP including media releases, media kits, Op- Eds, etc.; Produce and publish multi-media products (including videos, podcasts, photo- stories, infographics, animations, etc.) in a timely
- Online presence: Management of AFIDEP website and social media accounts. Contribute to managing the AFIDEP website, ensuring that web content related to our programmes in Kenya and the Eastern and West African regions are well presented and up to date on the website (includes developing content for website). Contribute to managing AFIDEP’s social media accounts, ensuring regular and quality content emanating from our work in Kenya and Eastern and West Africa.
- Keep abreast of other emerging social media and web 2.0 tools, taking advantage of these to extend the reach and impact of AFIDEP’s
Capacity development in science communication and evidence-informed decision-making
- Contribute to capacity building programmes for AFIDEP staff in science communications and evidence
- Contribute to the Institute’s capacity building programme in evidence-informed decision- making.
Monitoring, Learning and Evaluation of Communications Programme
- Implement a monitoring, learning and evaluation (MLE) plan for AFIDEP’s policy engagement and communications (PEC) programme in Kenya, and Eastern and West
A Masters’ Degree in Communications, Media or International Relations, with at least 5 years’ experience in science communications.
- Communication: excellent writing, editing, and verbal communication skills with ability to convey technical arguments in clear and vivid prose
- Negotiation and networking: ability to negotiate, form and sustain credible strategic alliances
- Knowledgeable: sound knowledge of regional and pan-African development issues; public policies and laws; proven skills in translating research and evidence into effective advocacy
- Technical skills in publications production and design; web design and management Applicants are invited to submit their CVs, cover letter, and one-page motivation
Terms of employment: The position is an initial contract of 2 years renewable depending on
Performance, relevance and availability of resources.
go to method of application »
AFIDEP, has its Head office in Nairobi and a country office in Lilongwe, Malawi. AFIDEP seeks to recruit a dynamic, self-driven and results oriented individual to join the team. The successful candidate will be responsible for the overall management and implementation of AFIDEP’s Human Resources (HR) Policies, Procedures, Guidelines and Tools management.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Human Resources Manager will provide leadership and be responsible for the development and implementation of the Human Resources strategies, plans, policies and procedures ensuring that they remain pertinent, innovative and consistent to AFIDEP’s mission. He/she will provide functional guidance and advice to staff and management on human resources and related organisational initiatives.
The key responsibilities will include:
- Develop a HR strategy which is in line with the organizational goals and objectives.
- Develop and implement a manpower planning helping the new/existing departments to have the needed staff with the right competence on time, both national and international.
- Devise and implement metrics as and when needed
Hiring and Recruitment:
- Oversee full-cycle recruitment process and directly recruit senior-level positions; Employ traditional sourcing strategies, actively network and employ innovative, creative recruiting methods to hire the best talent
- Facilitate and coordinate recruitment and selection process according to AFIDEP policies and procedures; set in place the recruitment team as appropriate.
- Coordinate recruitments and orientations/transition of both new/ transferring staff.
- Review and approve job position requests, job descriptions and make recommendations, ensuring accuracy and consistency.
- Coordinate vacancy posting in internal and external media as appropriate.
- Coordinate interviews and provide interview outcome summary.
- Review all job offers and contracts and ensure internal equity
HR Administration and Compliance:
- Co-Lead implementation for AFIDEP’s Global HR Operating Policies and Procedures
- Oversee HR-related administrative duties and ensure they are compliant with existing legal and government reporting requirements
- Ensure AFIDEP is in compliance with all labor laws, and minimization of legal exposure.
- Ensure the National Staff Handbooks are developed and in place; Review of policies and procedures, making recommendations
- Ensure, File and update of all head office staff personnel and statutory documents and ensure that all staff information are properly kept, updated and confidentially maintained
- Monitor and coordinate staff contract management.
- Lead exit management procedure to ensure seamless and positive transition for departing employee
- Serve as an ambassador and champion for AFIDEP : Standards for Business Ethics & Code of Conduct; escalate arising code of conduct issues to the relevant Senior HR Business Partner for additional support and to ensure issue is resolved and appropriate follow-up is carried out
- On an as needed basis liaise with the local legal counsel on HR issues that requires legal interpretations
- Represent AFIDEP in HR consortiums and INGOs cluster meetings
Compensation and Benefits Management:
- In partnership with the relevant HR Business Partner/ Senior Manager Compensation & Global Mobility, define and review the Institutes’ salary structure and benefits plans and communicate changes or updates
- Facilitate administration of staff benefits and compensation as stipulated in the HR policies
- Ensure the processing of the monthly HR payroll documentation on timely basis ensuring completeness and accurate documentation
- Ensure that all exiting staff clearance forms are submitted before final dues are processed.
- In collaboration with the finance team, ensure all staff are properly oriented and trained on the completion and submission of monthly Timesheets.
- Lead the performance management process including creating a plan to manage annual reviews, conduct training on goal-setting, utilize budgets to organize development activities and work one-on-one with managers and employees
- Coordinate and ensure timely completion of the annual performance evaluation process.
- Coordinate and ensure timely completion of the annual merit plan process
Employee Relations and Discipline:
- Lead all employee relations with professional grace; lead investigations to resolve issues/conflict in the workplace
- Act as an impartial mediator in disciplinary procedures and ensure it is administered in an equitable and fair manner and meets all legal and labor regulations and requirements
- Maintain an effective negotiation process and harmonious employee/employer relationship
- Advise supervisors in determining appropriate disciplinary plans of action
- Develop supportive plans of action for staff care, ensuring a comprehensive approach to support the well-being of staff and foster a positive working environment. Recommendations in this plan should address actionable activities and advice to support the morale and the social, physical, and psychological well-being of staff.
- Work to actively engage in building trust with staff at all levels and in all roles.
- Develop, gather and distribute Stress and Trauma Management (STM) educational reading and materials to all staff on a regular basis.
- Develop & coordinate staff care services with other local agencies and professional organizations
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- A Master’s degree preferably in Human Resources Management
- Should have a minimum of 7 years’ experience in Human resource management. Held a management position in a multi-cultural, multi-racial, multi-ethnic INGOs environment. A Senior HR manager in an organization with an international workforce spread across the globe will preferred.
- Certification and membership with the Institute of Human Resource Management (IHRM).
- Demonstrated ability to identify, recommend and implement best practice approaches that deliver rapid, consistent, high-quality HR management and service provision in a fast-paced organization
- Proven abilities to effectively work with local legal counsel and government departments to rapidly identify host country legal requirements, for expatriate and national staff, negotiate approvals and constructively resolve HR legal issues.
- Superb written and verbal communication skills required. Capable of managing conflict and conflicting views.
- Must have work authorization for Kenya, AFIDEP will not sponsor work permits.
- Possess IT skills and HR Information Systems (HRIS)
- Legal knowledge/experience and understanding of host country government HR requirements, an added advantage.