Our client, a reputable financial institution within the region, is looking for a forward-thinking and experienced individual to fill the role of Director, Finance. The ideal candidate will be an experienced finance professional with extensive understanding of and exposure to leading practice (technology and data enabled) financial management within the financial services sector
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the role holder will be responsible for providing direction in financial resource planning, monitoring, and management and reporting, including development of policies, systems, processes that would safeguard the financial resources and lead to attainment of set goals and objectives for the institution.
The role holder will be a member of the senior leadership team and will be responsible for developing and overseeing the implementation of leading practice strategies, policies, and initiatives within assigned portfolio to ensure the provision of excellent services to the organisation.
- Working with other members of the leadership team to formulate strategies andplans, and in decision making, ensuring the organisation’s financial systems arerobust, compliant and support current activities and future growth.
- Ensuring compliance with laws, policies/guidelines, regulations and standards,including providing strategic leadership and develop finance teams in theorganisation as well as demonstrate ownership of and communicate thedepartment’s strategic objectives and direction to all staff.
- Ensuring implementation of departmental strategic initiatives and developingprocesses and procedures to guide finance operations and accounting processes.
- Overseeing the preparation and publishing of the organisation’s annual financialstatements and other regulatory and stakeholder reporting.
- Ensuring the organisation’s budgeting processes are carried out and reviewed inaccordance with policy and best practice, and that the budget is aligned to andsupportive of the strategy of the organisation.
- Ensuring implementation of agreed audit recommendations and that externalManagement Letter points (ML) are addressed.
- Managing the organisation’s policies regarding capital requirements/expenditure,acquisition and disposals as is appropriate and ensuring compliance with allstatutory and regulatory requirements.
- Managing relevant finance and operations functions to minimize risks and enhanceefficiency and effectiveness including overseeing preparation and presentation tothe board.
- Keeping abreast of the latest trends in financial accounting and sharing learningwith the finance team and management where appropriate.
- Reviewing and signing off on /approving disbursement of the payroll and approvingpayment of sensitive and material amounts in line with organisations policy andguidelines.
- Ensuring timely update of operations policies/policy guidelines, risk register,processes and operations manual.
- Enforcing compliance with KRA and service charters and ensuring all finance andaccounting documents are maintained for permanency as the law dictates.
- Overseeing maintenance and sustainability/availability of finance IT systems.
- Mentoring, coaching and mobilizing assigned staff to achieve planned performanceresults and overseeing training of new staff in the department on work proceduresand organisations core values and policies to ensure effective client service
- A Bachelor’s degree in finance/ accounting or any other relevant discipline from areputable institution.
- A Master’s in business administration in finance/strategy or any other relevant areafrom a reputable institution will be an added advantage.
- Full membership with relevant local, regional or global professional bodies is amandatory requirement.
- Ten to fifteen years’ experience in financial management in a demanding financialand accounting reporting environment preferably financial services sector.
- At least five years in career history must be in a similar role in terms of scale andcomplexity.
- Demonstrable/ working knowledge of an accounting system and EnterpriseResource Planning (ERP) including use of business intelligence concepts and tools.Summary of technical competencies
- Ability to set finance strategy aligned to the overall organisation’s strategy, usingappropriate metrics and models to drive the organisation’s quality decision makingprocess.
- Financial reporting; understanding and application of the reporting standards aswell as interpreting and applying accounting and reporting pronouncements issuedby accounting standard setters, legislators and other financial reporting regulators.
- Ability to communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to think laterally and analyse scenarios while drawing suitable conclusionsand knowledge of leading practices in financial management and operations.
- Demonstrable ability to identify financial exposures impacting the organisationand execute appropriate financial risk solutions, taking into account the widerfinancial and operational environment including employing tools and techniques formeasuring, mitigating or transferring those risks.
- Ability to lead implementation of at least one disruptive technology to deliverfinance automation aimed at scaling and reducing finance work effort, boostingfoundational automation by deploying adaptive technologies, embed digitalanalytics in the delivery of finance services to stakeholders, lead progressive datamanagement and mining of untapped data sources.
Summary of behavioural/general competencies
- Strategic thinking
- Emotional intelligence
- Planning and organization
- Strategic thinking skills
- Commercial acumen
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to effectively manage multiple stakeholders
- Tact and diplomacy
- People management
go to method of application »
We are seeking to engage a dynamic and highly motivated individual to take up the role of a Senior Manager within the Technology Transformation function.
Roles and responsibilities
- Planning, managing and delivery of technology projects to ensure business risks are recognized and appropriately managed before adversely affecting the project objectives. Activities include planning, scoping, budgeting, development of execution methodologies and resourcing the project.
- Provide technical knowledge, direction and training to the engagement team to produce quality deliverables on time and on budget
- Building and promoting strong client relationships by understanding client needs and customizing solutions / services to serve their needs.
- Providing and facilitating the involvement of subject matter experts for the key components of the project during the execution of the projects.
- Presentation to project committee or board of directors (where relevant) on the project status, recommendations and action plans.
- Manage engagement risk and project budget
- Develop and maintain relationships with decision makers at key clients
- Contribute to business development and proposal development efforts
- Contribute towards meeting the expected revenue numbers as agreed with the leadershipTeam development
- Support the development of strong delivery teams, from recruitment, mentoring, on the job development and retention
- Maintaining professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops and reviewing professional publications.
- Be valued by colleagues and direct reports as a team player and as a coach
- Seeking and providing feedback on performance on assignments.
- Motivating project execution team members by organizing team building activities and incentives.
- Involvement in community and office initiatives
- Contribute to thought leadership via at least three activities e.g. articles and speaking at events
- Presentation and facilitation of discussions on topical technological areas affecting business.
- Ensure continuous learning through compliance to CPD hoursRisk management
- Ensure that the planning and execution of assignment comply with KPMG quality standards.
- Attend risk management training in line with KPMG’s policies.
Academic, professional qualifications and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business, Engineering, Economics, IT or related relevant degree course
- Professional qualification such as Prince2, CISA, CISM, CRISC, ISTQB certifications preferred
- Demonstrated track record of quality work, project management and productive team interactions.
- 9+ years of experience of relevant work experience.
- 5+ years of experience in delivery of technology transformation projects.
- Demonstrate Interpersonal skills to influence others, facilitate and enhance performance within a cross - functional environment
- Possess strong written, verbal and research skills with the ability to work well both autonomously and collaboratively;
- Resilience and Tenacity: must be able to sustain motivation and commitment at all times and have the ability to contain and absorb stressful moments and issues;
- Multicultural Skills: must be able to operate and interact in a multicultural environment and uphold cultural diversity; and
- Pragmatic Problem-Solving Skills: ability to handle and resolve unstructured problems and provide effective solutions.
Use the emails(s) below to apply
If your experience matches this exciting opportunity, please submit your application to emails below, before 4 September 2020. Only applications submitted through the email address stated in the advert will be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.