Center for Civilians in Conflict is an international nonprofit with offices around the world working to improve protection for civilians caught in conflict zones. Our mission is to work with armed actors and civilians in conflict to develop and implement solutions to prevent, mitigate, and respond civilian harm. We are advocates who believe that no civili...
Read more about this company
About the Position
The Senior Military Advisor (SMA) will be a highly valued member of CIVIC’s program in East Africa, which currently focuses on the protection of in the region. The SMA will be responsible for providing training and technical assistance to CIVIC’s government security partners on the implementation of civilian harm mitigation initiatives; supporting CIVIC’s research and advocacy initiatives; and contributing regular analysis of current events to aid in project planning, reporting, or other CIVIC activities.
Job Purpose: Provide training, analysis, and representation for CIVIC’s East Africa program, primarily to government security force partners, but other civilian and government stakeholders as well.
Support CIVIC’s East Africa program, particularly its current efforts to support the Kenyan, Ugandan, and Somali militaries to develop capabilities to mitigate civilian harm during operations.
- Cultivate strong working relationships with senior government, military, and civil society leaders.
- Oversee the provision of, and directly provide, technical expertise pertaining to the protection of civilians in armed conflicts to which East African countries are party.
- Oversee the design and implementation of tools, systems, processes, tactics/techniques/procedures to minimize the harm caused to civilians during operations and foster better protection of civilians.
- Develop training modules and deliver workshops – in close coordination with CIVIC’s international military advisors – on the key tenets of civilian harm mitigation and protection of civilians to military and civilian members of East African governments.
- Oversee and conduct advocacy with senior government and military officials to advance programmatic and policy changes related to the protection of civilians.
- Oversee and coordinate the program portfolio to ensure the highest level of project quality and accountability, while fostering continuity through building the capacity of external partners.
- Support the management, training, and mentoring, of new trainers or military advisors across the program.
- Disseminate findings from CIVIC’s work that are of importance to decision-makers in a position to fund or implement projects in East Africa.
- Work with the East African Regional Director to promote CIVIC within NGO networks and among government stakeholders to promote effective collaborations and partnerships.
- Promote the representation, training, and advocacy on civilian protection and harm mitigation.
- Assess training efforts to provide recommendations to diverse stakeholders in order to improve civilian protection.
- Keep CIVIC’s international and national partners and others informed about progress of the projects, plans for the development of new programs/projects/activities.
- Conduct monitoring and reporting of activities in support of project reporting requirements.
- Work with the monitoring, evaluation and learning team to track on the effectiveness efforts.
- Build Strategic relationships and partnerships with key foreign missions’ such as the European Union, UK, the US and others.
- Past Military Experience as a senior officer, such as Army Lt. Colonel, Navy Commander, Air Force Lt. Colonel, or higher rank.
- Prior service with Kenyan Defense Forces strongly desired.
- Experience training armed forces, preferably in the army, specifically relating protection of civilians and/or International Humanitarian law. Additional experience working with police forces is also highly desired.
- Prior experience working at a non-profit desirable.
- Flexibility, cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- Computer literacy including proficiency with Dropbox, Slack and Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Power Point, etc.).
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Kiswahili; knowledge of other relevant languages such as French or Somali are highly valued.
- Ability to write high-quality narrative and qualitative reports to describe recent activities and provided analysis of results and relevant current events.
- Demonstrated experience networking with donors, government officials and the private sector.
- Strong personal network in Kenya strongly desired.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills and the ability to develop collaborative relationships, especially in a multi-component project.
- Superior analytic, communication and interpersonal skills, including training and facilitation skills and demonstrated experience working with multicultural teams.
- High level of integrity in dealing with co-workers and with programs.
- Must currently be able to work in Kenya legally.
CIVIC is not able to sponsor employees at this point in time, therefore, please ensure that you are able to legally work in this location when applying. Upon offer, the candidate will be asked to provide a copy of their passport, National ID, work permit, or other documentation which allows them to work in the specified location.Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: CIVIC does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. CIVIC does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.
go to method of application »
About the Position
CIVIC is seeking highly qualified applicants for the position of Regional Director, East Africa (Field) who will be an integral part of the CIVIC program team reporting to the Director, Africa and works closely with other staff members at HQ.
Job Purpose: The RD has overall responsibility for supervising the start-up and implementation of CIVIC East Africa programs and management of the office and staff, to achieve CIVIC’s mission to protect civilians.
Program Management and Team Leadership
- Provide strategic vision and direction for establishing new programming and in-country operations, responding to new opportunities and adapting to obstacles to advance CIVIC’s mission of strengthening the protection of civilians and building out CIVIC’s opportunities in the region.
- Recruit, hire, and manage personnel for East Africa program in compliance with CIVIC policies and procedures. Mentor and build staff capacity including supporting their induction, performance evaluation, and professional development.
- Represent CIVIC in formal and informal meetings with government and security officials, international organizations, donors, and national civil society groups pertinent to CIVIC’s objectives and in-country activities
- Lead all aspects of program management to ensure that CIVIC delivers on time, on budget, and at the level of quality that for which CIVIC is known. This includes overseeing the development and regular updates of the workplan and activity plans; the creation and utilization of the MEL plan and system; execution of in-country activities and fulfillment of grant deliverables; internal and donor reporting; financial planning and budget management; human resource planning and management; and grant compliance.
- In conjunction with CIVIC’s HQ, lead design of new programs and contribute to the development of proposals to generate funding to sustain CIVIC’s work, in collaboration with national, regional, and headquarters staff.
- Provide technical input to the government, security forces, international donor agencies and civil society groups pertinent to CIVIC project activities.
- Maintain close communications with CIVIC headquarters, regional and national staff, funders, and other local and international actors.
Technical and Thought Leadership
- Provide technical input to the government, security forces, international donor agencies, and civil society groups to advance the protection of civilians.
- Cultivate and maintain high-level contacts with civilian government as well as security services to advance the protection of civilians.
- Oversee research design and execution, as well as the production of high-quality analytical products, including research reports, and support their dissemination to stakeholders.
- Develop, update, and oversee advocacy and influence strategies to promote institutional and policy change on the protection of civilians.
- Foster partnerships and coalitions to ensure the highest level of project quality and accountability, while fostering continuity through building local capacity.
- Ensure the quality and effectiveness of CIVIC’s programming, especially in regards to technical assistance and training on civilian harm mitigation for security forces.
- Develop and oversee CIVIC’s community-based protection efforts, paying close attention to Do No Harm and conflict sensitivity principles.
Financial and Administrative
- Provide oversight to finance and administrative services including procurement, property management, human resources management, vehicle and facilities management, and staff safety and security.
- Oversee the creation of, and manage, processes and systems to ensure staff safety and security in high risk environments.
- Work with CIVIC headquarters to manage the development and implementation of annual country budgets.
- Ensure the preparation and accuracy of financial reports that comply with grant or contract agreements and ensure compliance with all aspects of donor funding and CIVIC policies.
- Ensure timely submission of financial reports within the established CIVIC guidelines.
- Authorize expenditures for grant or contract allocations and ensure compliance with procedures required by grant or contract agreements.
- Minimum 15 years (or a Master Degree and 12 years) of field experience in protection of civilians, international security, conflict prevention/mitigation, peace building, advocacy, and/or other related programs. Equal experience in program development and implementation, especially for an international NGO required. Experience standing-up a new program and establishing a local presence is highly preferred.
- Knowledge and experience managing compliance for a diverse set of international governmental donors (EU, UK, etc.).
- Passion for CIVIC’s subject matter and willingness to take on the responsibilities and duties as a senior member of our team.
- Past operational experience with armies, air force, or navies, or internal security forces, particularly in the East African region, strongly preferred.
- Proven knowledge on best practices and lessons learned on protection of civilians in armed conflict.
- Past experience overseeing teams conducting research on complex topics which include data collection from vulnerable or conflict-affected populations required.
- Substantial program management experience overseeing program implementation, creating and adhering to MEL plans, producing donor/client reports, and ensuring compliance and delivery on all aspects of grants or contracts strongly desired.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee the development of budgets and monitor financial status.
- Regional knowledge and experience working in the East Africa required, including one and preferably more of the following list: Kenya, Uganda, Somalia.
- Demonstrated ability to undertake high-level representation and advocacy with senior government civilian and military representatives.
- Experience advocating with security forces and governments for new policies or approaches to sensitive and complex issues, like protection, humanitarian access, or human rights
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including an ability to effectively lead a team, communicate a vision, make timely and transparent decisions, and manage conflict.
- Ability to design and implement workshops, seminars, surveys, monitoring systems and evaluations. Experience in research design, data analysis and interpretation.
- Excellent oral and written English language skills, including the ability to quickly synthesize complex technical and programmatic issues into concise communications; fluency in Swahili and other regional languages desirable.
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills that effectively motivate staff and support team building; demonstrated ability to manage a professional team in a multi-cultural environment
- Well established and practiced organizational and planning skills;
- Computer literacy, including use of common platforms such as Microsoft Office, Slack, Zoom and Google G-Suite.
- Experience with staff security and safety issues is desirable.
- Ability and willingness to travel within the East Africa region, and periodically further abroad as needed.
- Availability for a period of 3 years (renewable pending funding).
- A sense of humor and a passion for people and leadership