AFIDEP is looking to recruit qualified and experienced persons to fill the position of Finance Intern reporting to Finance Officer. The positions will be based at the Institute’s office in Nairobi, Kenya. The main objective of the role is to ensure finance processes and record keeping are safeguarded and for on the job training for the intern.
- Input data into the Navision system. The data includes Timesheets, staff accountability reports, Project work plans and budgets
- Assist in reviewing payment documents for completeness and accuracy
- Assist in maintaining a proper filling system for all payment documents and ensure accounting records are updated, reliable and according to AFIDEP accounting policies, procedures and regulations.
- Retrieving documents for audit and ad-hoc requests
- Ensuring prompt re-archiving of documents after completion of audit and ad-hoc requests
- Support the Administration department in procurement and logistics
- Any other responsibilities as may be assigned from time to time
2 Skills, Knowledge and Experience Requirements
(Abilities / Knowledge & Expertise in field)
The position holder should have:
- Bachelor Degree in Finance or Accounting
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Excel and word
- Good skills in using financial software applications.
- Proficiency in English.
- Integrity and Ethics: High integrity and ethical behavior in all dealings and ensure that own behavior is consistent with AFIDEP’s values and standards
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ethics, standards and expertise in all areas of work; highly cautious with etiquette and well groomed
- Result oriented: Consistently meet set goals, focused and goal oriented. Proactive and responsive to staff and stakeholder needs
- Cost consciousness: Develop new and innovative ways manage operations of the organization in a cost effective style
- Team player/ Interpersonal relations: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally to achieve the goals
- Confidentiality: Guarantee open communication and that information is shared with prudence and ensure confidentiality as appropriate.
go to method of application »
AFIDEP is looking to recruit qualified and experienced persons to fill the position of Head of Finance and Administration reporting to Executive Director. The positions will be based at the Institute’s office in Nairobi, Kenya.
The main objective of the role is to provide strategic and operational leadership to AFIDEP’s finance & administrative functions in an effective and efficient manner. These include formulating of strategic direction and provide technical and professional leadership in the planning, development and evaluation of AFIDEP’s financial policies and systems, financial planning and budgeting, prudent management and control of financial resources, and ensure compliance with accounting standards and statutory reporting requirements.
1. Management role
As a member of the Senior Management Team:
- Contribute to development of institutional and programme strategic plans and action plans;
- Develop accounting and financial management policies that are consistent with financial reporting standards and regulations;
- Participate in managing institutional and programme performance;
- Attend Board meetings and participate in other Board matters as required.
2. Planning and Budgeting
- Lead and coordinate the annual planning, budgeting and review processes; produce and consolidate detailed and summary annual budgets within the agreed time;
- Develop and disseminate annual planning and budgeting guidelines and templates.
- Consolidate the summary budget tables and provide analysis of the figures within the agreed time;
- Ensure proper allocation and management of financial resources in the Institute;
- Prepare periodic management accounts for management decision making and actions.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly accounts and annual financial reports within timetable;
- Oversee Development of budgets for proposals and contribute to resource mobilization efforts;
- Monitor and evaluate funding needs, cash flows, and develop strategies and plans for financing.
3. Financial Management and Reporting
- Regularly review, monitor and track the utilisation of projects and operational expenditure against approved plans/ budgets and ensure effective management of costs across the business; and ensure variances are justified in accordance with approved policies and procedures;
- Support and monitor projects to ensure their financial operations are within the framework of the policies and procedures established by AFIDEP;
- Lead in identifying, developing and implementing effective internal controls for the institute and implementation of accountability and reporting by AFIDEP;
- Coordinate internal and external audits and manage implementation of audit recommendations;
- Analyse financial information relating to assets, liabilities, capital and prepare financial statements, reports, projections and recommendations for financial sustainability;
- Manage donor and sub-grantee contracts;
- Oversee grants accounting and reporting;
- Lead the development and review of financial policies and procedures manuals
- Oversee payroll management;
- Oversee timesheet management.
4. Capacity Building
- Ensure that the finance skills of both finance and non-finance staff are developed, undertake the induction of new staff, and continually strengthen capacity of finance staff;
- Ensure that the financial ability of potential partners, including their internal control systems, documentation and capacity to report on expenditure, is properly assessed before long-term funding relationships are entered into;
- Generate, document and disseminate the results of the institute’s finance work, capturing new knowledge and learning;
- Assets and facilities management including liaison with the agents, utilities, cleanliness and safety;
- Implement and review AFIDEP’s procurement policy;
- Manage purchase and safeguarding of the office equipment and other assets;
- Office administration and Logistics;
- ICT Management.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience Requirements
(Abilities / Knowledge & Expertise in field)
The position holder should have:
- A Master’s degree in Finance, or Accounting, Business Administration (MBA) and professional accounting and/or financial management qualifications such as CPA, ACA, ACCA, ACMA, CFA or equivalent membership to a relevant professional body;
- At least ten (10) years’ financial management and accounting experience of which five (5) must be at senior management level; and preferably in the NGO sector
- Strong financial management experience and skills (budgets /forecasts donor projects, stakeholder management);
- Proficiency in accounting systems, grants and financial management systems;
- Demonstrable experience with strong donor and partner relations and the ability to build and maintain working relationships with donors, partners and service providers;
- Excellent analytical skills with the ability to link financial results to programme and operational performance drivers and provide value add insights to the Institute;
- Experience of design, implementation and monitoring systems of financial management, controls and accounting systems.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication skills.
- Ability to manage other people and experience of working in a small team and distance team working.
- Ability to travel frequently for the satisfactory discharge of his/her duties.
Please send a motivation letter indicating your suitability to this position and a detailed CV which should include three relevant referees to [email protected] not later than 5th February 2021.
Applications should include the title of the position as the subject of the email.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
AFIDEP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.