The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC)
is the world’s largest humanitarian and development network, with millions of volunteers in 190 member National Societies. We are guided by Strategy 2020 – our collective plan of action to tackle the major humanitarian and development challenges of the present decade. We will continue ‘saving lives and changing minds’ by focusing our work in three key areas: 1) disaster response and recovery, 2) development and 3) promoting social inclusion and peace.
To coordinate the establishment of the Africa Regional data- and information management hub and ensures people can access quality information they need, when they need it, in a usable, helpful format. The regional data hub links to the IFRC GO network.
The information management delegate is the focal person for the development of Information management network, systems and tools for the Africa region.
This position will be based in Nairobi within the IFRC Country Office, but working closely with the disaster management departments of the national societies in the region, as well as global information management
Information Management Job Duties and Responsibilities
National society engagement
- Collaborate with relevant departments within Africa Region including National societies and other external agencies to define required data sets, agree on data sharing, define data gaps and agree on a collaborative effort to obtain missing data.
- Build and maintain relationships with RCRC information management experts in the IFRC GO network and IFRC SIMS network in order to gain access to relevant sources of data and data / information services
Information and data services
- Support implementation of the Africa Operation Room.
- Ongoing identification of data/analysis/information needs to support operations in humanitarian programs and response in the region;
- Establish regional data collection and processing systems:
- Once data/information needs have been established, identify potential sources of data and develop a plan for obtaining it.
- Support to assessments, including evaluating assessment templates to ensure they allow for the collation of data across and within sectors
- Support setting up mobile data collection and support national societies in this
- Collect, collate, analyze and disseminate information regarding the plans and actual service delivery of other major actors involved in the response.
- Coordinate the development and improvement of information management systems, tools and procedures of the region
Data visualisation and analysis
- Use data collected to provide initial analysis to support operations and humanitarian decision making;
- Prepare or support preparation of reports by providing data analysis, maps and dashboards
Improve data literacy
- Build data literacy at the level of decision making and operations
- Provide technical advice to National Societies in order to improve their capacity on data collection, analysis and data driven decision making
- Be the Information Management technical focal point for the IFRC Africa Regional Office
- Participate in regional inter-agency information management working groups. Share data and avoid duplication in data collection efforts.
Qualifications for the Information Management
- Bachelor Degree in Computer Science, Information Management or a similar field.
- At least change to 3 years of experience in the development and use of GIS, database systems, data visualization and other information management tools and mechanisms
- Experience/knowledge of mobile data collection tools, such as ODK
- Red Cross Red Crescent work experience.
- Knowledge, Skills and Languages
- Strong analytical and writing skills.
- Self-supporting in digital and software (Excel, GIS software, internet, email).
- Fluently spoken and written English
- Good command of another IFRC official language (French, Spanish or Arabic)
Competencies and Values
- National Society Relations
- Professional ism
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) career website on www.ifrc.org to apply