Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI) is a State Corporation established through the Science and Technology (Amendment) Act of 1979, which has since been amended to Science, Technology and Innovation Act 2013. The 1979 Act established KEMRI as a National body responsible for carrying out health research in Kenya.
The purpose of the internship is to assist in data management including data collection, mining, filing, archiving, QA/QC, database updates and generating reports
Responsibilities for the Data Internship
- Data collection, compilation , cleaning , investigational analysis and processing for entry into databases
- Designing, improving and updating live databases for long term data storage and back-ups
- Assisting in data analysis
- Installing and configuring computer hardware, software systems, networks, printers and scanners
- Ensure technology is accessible and equipped with current hardware and software
- Trouble shoots all technology issues including hardware, software and network operating system
- Preparing daily and weekly reports
- Scanning and filing of records, archive systems in accordance to department procedures
- Monitor security of all technology
- Any other duties assigned by Supervisor
Qualifications for the Data Internship
- Education and Professional training
- Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics and computer science or a related field from a recognized university
- Training on data analysis (STATA and or R)
- Very Good IT skills including hardware, software and networks
- Good communication skills.
- Experience in data entry/data management an added advantage
- Skills in database development
Terms of Engagement
Appointment in the Internship program will be for 6 months. This may be extended for another 6 months
depending on performance.
- A stipend will be provided.
- Interns will be expected to take up a personal accident cover and medical Insurance cover
- The project MAY NOT offer employment after the completion of internship.
go to method of application »
The position reports to the Principal Research Officer / Principal Investigator (PI).
- Day-to-day management of activities in multiple AMR projects with minimal supervisory input.
- Train, supervise, mentor, motivate and support staff and students (MSc/PhD)
- Coordinate staff work assignments, protocol and SOP training, proficiency and competence testing
- Manage process of data collection, entry, analysis, interpretation and reporting.
- Interpret, report and communicate essential elements of the program
- Manage and track budgets and resources
- Assist with project reports, scientific publications and submission of proposals and grants
- Oversee regulatory compliance issues
- Find positive approaches to problem solving for research, management and personnel issues
- Master’s degree in Microbiology or related field with strong molecular biology and genomic analysis skills and >3 years’ experience in an active research program
- Proficiency in database management and the use of statistical analysis packages such as STATA, SPSS and Access databases
- Strong communication skills both verbal and written with scientific publication record in peer reviewed journals.
Additional skills and competencies
- A mature leadership approach that can promote diversity, continued learning, safety, and productivity in the workplace
- Good organizational skills including time management, scheduling, managing resource and meeting deadlines.
Terms of Employment: One year contract.
Grade: MR 11
Probation period for the first 3 months.
Remuneration: The salary is based on KEMRI salary scale.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) / email(s) below to apply on company website.
- Data Intern - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Research Officer / Project Coordinator - Nairobi.HR@usamru-k.org
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their application together with their detailed CV to the recruitment officer through e-mail