If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental and non-profit organization, founded in 1956, that works in more than 35 countries around the world. DRC provides both humanitarian assistance and longer-term development support to respond to the needs of communities affected by acute crisis as well as those in protracted displacement situations. DRC has been operating in Kenya since 2005, where we assist refugees and displacement-affected communities in Dadaab, Kakuma, Kalobeyei, Nairobi and Mombasa through protection and livelihoods activities to enhance their self-reliance and expand opportunities for a dignified life. With funding from the EU Trust Fund, DRC leads a consortium of 4 agencies implementing a cross-border EU-funded grant across Mandera, Kenya, Dollo Ado, Ethiopia and Gedo, Somalia.
Overall purpose of the role:
The Monitoring and Evaluation Coordinator will be responsible for monitoring, evaluation, learning, accountability and information management systems under the BORESHA Consortium. S/he will work closely with the M+E focal points from each of the consortium member agencies and their programme implementation teams to ensure effective MEL practices are applied throughout the project period, and specifically provide technical leadership on related activities such as assessments, evaluations, learning events and the inter-agency accountability system.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Support the Head of PMU in planning and implementing key Inception Phase activities, conducting revisions to the logical frameworks as needed
- Support the Head of PMU and consortium agency field teams in active implementation of their M&E plans, ensure M&E plans are updated timely and M&E findings for all agencies are included in all reports.
- Lead regular sharing of the outputs and the M&E findings with project staff across the consortium, working closely with the technical leads from each agency
- Coordinate with consortium agency field staff to develop tools and methods to improve data collection for example, surveys, assessment and beneficiary data
- Link with data and grants management tools developed to collect information and profiling. Support teams to use these tools on all project activity levels.
- Organize, participate and collect field data and process / analyses data
- Take part and carry out assessments, evaluation and any other form of internal survey or review of projects
- Undertake field trips and do physical observation on on-going projects
- Lead the implementation of a Data Protection Policy and Information Management (IM) platform and securely transfer large program field data. Support all consortium agencies with accuracy of data entered in to the platform and day-to-day management.
- Capacity build, train and support sectors and field staff to improve the field monitoring or any other monitoring needs.
- Lead in the development and refinement of Monitoring and Evaluation Plans and questionnaires for the assessments. The Coordinator will also review and approve any MEL tools developed by BORESHA field teams.
- Take the lead in supporting of external evaluation consultancies under the BORESHA grant.
- Coordinate the design and implementation of accountability systems for the BORESHA project.
- Build the capacity of all consortium staff to plan and implement effective accountability systems
- Set-up new / strengthen existing community feedback and response mechanisms across the consortium as needed
Learning and project quality
- Participate in project Kick-off meetings, review meetings and Close-out meeting in order to highlight components aimed at replicating good practices and strengthening synergies between activities, partners and other interventions in the areas covered by BORESHA.
- Regularly present key M&E findings to the PMU, Project Steering Committee, Technical Working Group and others for further development.
- Support the project’s aim for further strengthened integrated programming and actively propose ways of achieving this using M&E findings.
- Perform other duties as directed by the Head of PMU
Experience and technical competencies:
- Minimum of 5 years of work experience within the field of monitoring and evaluation;
- Experience working with International NGO’s, UN agencies, line ministries and/or local authorities in migrants/refugee settings in complex emergencies;
- Experience in developing/ guiding information management systems for large humanitarian programs
- Experience in participatory assessment and community-based monitoring approaches;
- Clear understanding of Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS);
- Experience with capacity building of staff, and in convening and facilitating trainings and workshops
- Excellent analytical and report writing skills (English)
- A Bachelor’s degree in relevant field (development, social research preferable with a focus on monitoring and evaluation as well as compliance issues).
- Fluency in written and spoken English essential
Core competencies: Basic Advanced Expert
- Striving for excellence
- Taking the lead
- Demonstrating integrity
Basic: I master the essentials, but may at times need help from others
Advanced: I can work independently at full professional level.
Expert: I am the go-to person when others need help.
Key stakeholders: (internal and external)
- Programme Management Unit, M+E staff in consortium agencies, implementing field teams, Project Steering Committee, Technical Working Group, consortium partner SMTs in each country
- Local government authorities
- Other NGOs
- Implementing partners
Based in Nairobi with regular travel to field locations and reporting to the Head of Programme Management Unit the Project Assistant will be responsible for providing project and operational support to the BORESHA consortium, led by DRC. The selected candidate will be responsible for documentation, filing, recording minutes of meetings, organizing meetings/workshops, organizing field travel, and liaising with consortium agency field teams to ensure timely support to operational locations. The Project Assistant will also help with the coordination of high level visits to the project, tracking partner reports by following up various actions, and disseminating information to PMU and consortium staff. The incumbent will work closely with PMU and consortium staff to exchange information and support project delivery.
- Ensure timely and accurate execution of the day-to-day project requirements by ensuring project master work plans are followed, handling information requests and inquiries, advising visitors, scheduling meetings, and support on completing project documentation, among other related tasks
- Support the Head of PMU in coordinating activities including trainings, kick-off and program review meetings, field visits, and internally and externally organized workshops. This role will also include taking meeting notes for those meetings/workshops attended, preparation of materials for programmatic meetings, and compilation and distribution of meeting minutes and relevant information.
- Communicate with implementing partners as advised by the Head of PMU
- Organize and coordinate visits by donors, government authorities, country team members or headquarter staff
- Liaise regularly with staff in other departments, field offices, consultants, partners, and other external contacts to ensure effective information flow and timely actions
- Maintain an effective filing system to include key correspondence, organization/project reports, financial information and other relevant documents
- Responsible for day-to-day project correspondence, information sharing and filing, ensuring that appropriate follow-up actions are taken for on behalf of the Head of PMU.
- Maintain records and track the status of action points arising from Project Steering Committee, Technical Working Group and other BORESHA meetings.
- Ensure compliance with financial processes and financial records according to DRC and donor rules, regulations, policies and strategies
- Support project implementation processes as directed by the Head of PMU. With support from the M&E Coordinator, Finance Coordinator other PMU and consortium member staff, play a focal role in the project Inception Phase that involves ensuring work plans, budgets, office space, staffing etc. are in place for project start-up activities
- Collection, analysis and presentation of information for identification of areas for support and program formulation/ implementation
- Develop talking points, background, and briefing materials for meetings, publicity, and advocacy in collaboration with the communications staff of DRC and other consortium members.
- Ensure that all key program documentation is filed and easily accessible and retrievable
- Monitor and check project management reports for compliance with activities, expenditures and work plans
- With support from DRC Administrative Unit, make logistical arrangements for program staff and guests, flight bookings and accommodation
Skills & Qualifications:
- A University Degree in Social Sciences or any other related degree
- Minimum 2 years of relevant program and/or administrative experience is required
- Excellent knowledge of Project Management and Support is required
- Experience in the use of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages
- Ability to perform a variety of standard tasks related to programs management, including screening and collecting of project documentation, project data entering, preparation of revisions, filing, provision of information
- Flexible, with ability to work handle multiple tasks and meet strict deadlines
- Strong planning, organization and problem solving skills with ability to work hands-on, independently, and within team in a difficult work environment
- Excellent report writing skills in English
- Strong communication (written & spoken) and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work cooperatively with staff from diverse cultures
- Previous experience working with an NGO is preferred
Method of Application
Use the link(s) / email(s) below to apply on company website.