If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Solidaridad Network is a global Civil Society Organization with expertise in developing sustainable market oriented supply chains across 13 commodity sectors. The organization has experience in working with grass root organizations, producers, civil society and local government, and private sector actors. Solidaridad has a strong presence in Africa, Asia, Central, North and Latin America.
Solidaridad East and Central Africa is a member of the Solidaridad Network with regional office in Nairobi and programs in seven countries: Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda with plans to include South Sudan and Somalia.
THE STRATEGIC FIT
Solidaridad East & Central Africa is seeking an experienced, senior development professional who will be responsible for leading the direction and implementation of Solidaridad’s strategy, growing the regional programmes and operations, and expanding the reach of the organization in the region. This position will involve representing Solidaridad at regional and global fora and promoting the Solidaridad vision and mission. As member of the Executive Board of Directors, the Managing Director reports to the Executive Director of Solidaridad Network and the Continental Supervisory Board for Africa.
- Offering direction and guidance to the strategy of the regional programming through annual planning and reporting.
- Implementing and enforcing the quality systems of Solidaridad Network.
- Supporting the results and innovation areas of Solidaridad Network according to the Multi Annual Strategic Plans (MASP).
- Supporting further development of field programmes for the current focus commodities applicable to the region. This would include supporting farmers to produce more with less negative social consequences and damage to the ecosystem. It also includes developing, testing and promoting effective and climate-smart agricultural, mining and industrial practices.
- Strengthen the country offices within the region and establish new offices when and where needed.
- Manage the development of project, programme and fundraising proposals for donors and private sector partners.
- Maintain effective relationships as the first point of contact for the regional governments, chambers of commerce, businesses, embassies and other stakeholders.
- Ensure timely financial governance and financial reporting to the Solidaridad Network, donors and private sector partners.
- Manage the daily operations of the regional organization.
- Mitigate risks within the region for Solidaridad.
- Actively participate in the Continental Supervisory Board and Executive Board of Directors.
- Relevant Post-graduate degree (in Economics, MBA, Development Studies, or agriculture)
- Citizen or resident of the East and Central Africa Region with a permit to work across the region
- At least 10 years work experience in the field of sustainability. Should have experience of managing sustainability projects at a senior level in the region
- An excellent understanding of the policy environment, issues and stakeholders in the agri-business sector in East and Central Africa
- A broad network of NGOs, farmer organizations and government authorities in East and Central Africa
- At least 5 years’ experience with sustainability standards and/or certification schemes in East and Central Africa
- Proven ability to obtain financing from public and private donors
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and creatively and lead strategic processes in East and Central Africa
- Excellent leadership skills and demonstrable management experience including supervising team of talented professionals in East and Central Africa
- Strong commitment to teamwork
- Ability to work well under pressure and ensure high-quality outputs for the region
- Excellent oral and writing skills in English
- Ability to represent Solidaridad East and Central Africa and the network in national, regional and international for a
- Sound judgment and ability to plan, prioritize, organize and manage multiple priorities in a complex and changing operating environment
- Willing and able for frequent regional and international travel
Reporting to: Solidaridad Network Executive Director and Continental Supervisory Board for Africa.
Salary indication: The salary will be commensurate with the experience and qualifications of the applicant
Method of Application
If you are interested in applying for this opportunity, please send a one-page motivation letter and two-page resume in English to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Quoting REF NO; 111/CX
Hawkins Associates Ltd
215, Muthangari Road, Lavington
P. O. Box 30684 - 00100, Nairobi
Tel.: +254722204422, +254713927422, +254737616138