If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-Habitat, is the UN agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all.
The UNHABITAT Municipal Finance internship is for 3 months with a possibility for extension depending on the needs of the Organization.
The Internship is UNPAID and fulltime.
Interns work five days per week (35 hours) under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned.
- Daily responsibilities will depend on the individual's background; the intern's assigned office as well as the internship period.
- Under the direct supervision of Coordinator, Urban Economy and Finance Branch, the intern will:
- Assist in creating tools to support development and implementation of projects in the area of municipal finance;
- Assist in collecting and collating data and good case studies and practices related to local government financing tools/strategies;
- Assist in developing promotional materials in areas of urban economy and municipal finance;
- Contribute to preparing concept notes and project documents on local government finance;
- Perform any other workrelated activities as and when required by Branch’ Coordinator.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively
- Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately
- Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having twoway communication
- Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals
- Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others
- Places team agenda before personal agenda
- Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings
- Client Orientation:
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients ” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view
- Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect
- Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions
- Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems
- Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects
- Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client
- Applicants must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree program (minimum Bachelor's level or equivalent);
- Be computer literate in standard software applications.
- Have demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter;
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
- Preferred area of study: Master’s degree in economics, finance, municipal finance, social science, or urban development.
Applicants are not required to have professional work experience for participation in the programme.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this internship, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another UN Language is desirable.
Potential candidates will be contacted by hiring manager directly for further consideration.
The Deputy Executive Director reposes to and supports Executive Director in advancing the United Nations system reform and providing the necessalT institutional and system changes within UN-Habitat, in accordance with General Assembly mandates to support Member States' efforts to meet the challenges of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the complementary New Urban Agenda, while ensuring national leadership and ownership.
In requesting nominations for this position, UN-Habitat is seeking an individual with:
- Ability to conceptualize, inspire, and convey strategic vision from the spectrum of development experience;
- Capacity for reform to deliver the New Urban Agenda;
- Demonstrated skills in respecting diversity, consultation and participation;
- Demonstrated diplomatic, cultural sensitivity and negotiating skills;
- Strong partnering, people management, and resource mobilisation skills;
- Ability to provide information, tools and resources to support work achievement;
- Demonstrated ability to plan and organize work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated;
- Demonstrated ability to develop supportive team enviromnents that empower and encourage individuals to demonstrate initiative;
- Strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills;
- High commitment to the values and guiding principles of the United Nations and familiarity with the United Nations system, including peacekeeping, human rights, humanitarian and development settings and challenges.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) / email(s) below to apply on company website.