If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Save the Children has been operational in Kenya since the 1950s, providing support to children through developmental and humanitarian relief programmes delivered both directly and through local partners. Current programming focuses on child protection, child rights governance, education, health, HIV/AIDS, livelihoods, nutrition and WASH. In 2012, as part of a global reorganization process, Save the Children combined the programmes of SC UK, SC Canada and SC Finland to create a single operation in Kenya. In February 2014, we completed a second transition, which saw us join forces with the British INGO, Merlin, and merge their health and nutrition programmes with our own. Save the Children now has an operational presence in Bungoma, Dadaab Refugee Camp, Garissa, Mandera, Nairobi, Turkana and Wajir. We work through partners in many other parts of the country. We have a staff complement of around 300 staff and an operating annual budget of approximately US$16 million in 2018.
This role will support the Awards unit in the planning, securing and managing of both development and humanitarian awards. This role will work collaboratively with Save the Children members and all departments of the Country Office program and support to ensure smooth management of development and humanitarian program awards, sub awards and contracts, focusing on donor compliance and accountability. This position will also be responsible to build the capacity of staff, award information management and shares, and coordinates information across departments.
Qualifications and Experience
- A first Degree in Human Resource Management in Social Sciences or relevant field.
- A post-graduate Diploma in Human Resource Management.
- Must be a practising member of the Institute of HR Management of Kenya.
- Minimum 7 years’ experience as HR generalist, with at least 2 years in a manager role.
- Strong knowledge and experience of generalist HR issues, including Kenya Employment Law, recruitment and selection, interpretation and application of policies and procedures, restructuring, reward and employee relations.
- Experience in directly managing HR teams.
- Proven ability to influence and negotiate at senior levels and build capacity of managers and management teams.
- Experience in managing disciplinary a grievance issues, mentoring and coaching HR staff and other managers to handle such cases.
- Strong customer and quality orientation; solution -focussed and confident in operating in a changing environment.
- Excellent communication skills (Verbal and Written), with the ability to provide clear effective advice on a range of HR issues.
- Excellent presentation and facilitation skills.
- Strong team player, collaborative and capable of building effective relationships across all levels
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and ability to use the internet to obtain data and reference materials.
- Comply with the requirements of Save the Children’s Safeguarding Policy and other Global Policies.
- A commitment to promoting diversity and equality of opportunity in employment and an empathy with SCI values and objectives.
- A willingness to travel occasionally to field area offices.
- Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mind-sets
- Problem solving and risk mitigating skills.
- Fluency in English, both verbal and written.
- Commitment to Save the Children values.
This role will support the Awards unit in the planning, securing and managing of both development and humanitarian awards. This role will work collaboratively with Save the Children members and all departments of the Country Office program and support to ensure smooth management of development and humanitarian program awards, sub awards and contracts, focusing on donor compliance and accountability. This position will also be responsible to build the capacity of staff, award information management and shares, and coordinates information across departments
Contract Duration: 1year
Qualifications and Experience
- Preferred degree in Grants management, development studies, or related field.
- At least 5 years’ experience in a similar position.
- Excellent planning, management and coordination skills, with the ability to organise a demanding workload comprised of diverse and challenging tasks and responsibilities.
- Experience with NGOs with increasing responsibilities including a proven experience of establishing and running the award management function in the field.
- Knowledge of the requirements of major institutional donors including budgeting, eligibility issues, compliance management, and reporting.
- Experience of engaging with donors at country strategy levels.
- Experience of and well developed skills in staff management and supervision. Proven strong coaching and capacity building skills.
- Very strong capacity for attention to detail, problem solving, and analysis of trends.
- Computer literate with very strong Ms office skills.
- Cultural awareness and ability to build relationships quickly with a wide variety of people.
- Patient, adaptable, flexible, able to improvise and remain responsive and communicate clearly and effectively under pressure.
- Strong communication (written and spoken), and interpersonal skills in English, with experience in managing multicultural teams.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. Employment is subject to our Child protection standards including background checks and adherence to our Child Safeguarding Policy.
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified talent.
Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Method of Application
Use the link(s) / email(s) below to apply on company website.