Heshima Kenya is an international nongovernmental organization based in Nairobi, Kenya dedicated to identifying, protecting refugee children and empowering unaccompanied and separated refugee children and youth, especially adolescent girls, through our specialized shelter, education and advocacy programs.
The organization has been rebranded to RefuSHE.
This role is responsible for all aspects case management and child protection including design and enforcement of strategy, policy and implementation of related activities. This position will ensure that the planned interventions are technically sound and encompass the best international standards related to case management and child protection.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides leadership in planning, implementation, monitoring case management and, child protection activities and policy
- Coordinates and oversees initiation of Best Interest Processes for individual cases through BIAs, BIDs, making arrangements for alternative care, family tracing/reunification, coordinating home visits as well as reviewing and recommending case management services/ support
- Supervises and provides technical support to the case management team in the implementation of child protection and case management activities including organizing monthly case committees and conferences
- Coordinates the expansion of case management and child protection programming in close collaboration with the Associate Director, DoP and the other team members
- Receives and coordinate referrals, arranging action and reviewing services for the persons of concern in line with the organization safe shelter and girls empowerment policies and criteria
- Oversees the maintenance of accurate, confidential and up to date documentation of all cases in the Safe House.
- Works directly with children and their families as may be required to. Develops, promotes, strengthens and implements the individual child/family development plans that promote child welfare and protection from harm alleviating suffering
- Supports the care of children where their living arrangements are at risk of breakdown including conducting BIDs for separation and alternative care placement/arrangement
- Keeps abreast of developments in the field of case management and child protection by liaising with UNHCR, Children department and attending child protection network meeting/events
- Ensures that effective communication and networking is developed and maintained through partnership and collaboration with partner organization.
- Participates in the production and publication of child protection and case management information communication materials as well as updating the program team on the current trends in CP and case management
- Reports any child protection concerns related to staff, partners or consultants to the Associate Director as well as recommending appropriate action on the matter(s).
- In coordination with other program teams, formulates, coordinates and conducts quality research and policy analysis on child protection issues addressing the determinants of the SGBV and child violations in regards to unaccompanied and separated minors mostly
- Actively contributes to identification of new funding opportunities, proposal writing and strategy development
- Actively supports the Associate Director and the DoP in drafting of program reports adhering to set timelines
- Undertakes other responsibilities/duties not outlined above which are commensurate with a role of this nature in the humanitarian sector and which have been discussed and agreed between the line manager/superiors and the post holder.
Knowledge, Skills & Competencies
- A University degree in the social sciences, preferably in social work, community work, sociology or other related fields. A master’s degree in humanities will be added advantage
- Excellent professional track record with at least four years of experience in coordination of case management/child protection within NGO or government sector
- Experience in coordination of child protection / humanitarian program implementation among refugees especially unaccompanied and separated minors will be preferred
- Experience working in the UN Agencies or other international development organization, and field work experience will be an advantage
- Good knowledge and understanding of international child protection and case management standards, policies and practice issues.
- Strong proficiency in budget management, grants management and reporting.
- Proven experience supervising and providing case management services and support
- Strong writing and analytical skills, including ability to communicate technical matters to a range of audiences.
- Outstanding skills in team work and leadership, and comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure well
- At least 2-3 years of staff management experience, including staff capacity development and performance appraisals
- Good coping strategies in stressful situation maintaining calmness and soberness
- High integrity and sense of responsibility
- Fluent in spoken and written Kiswahili and English.
- Somali language or Amharic advantage Proficiency in Micro soft Office
go to method of application »
The job holder will offer support to the senior management team in ensuring strategic program direction, continued high performance and responsiveness to changing needs within the Safe House and Case Management Programs are met. Another key deliverable for this role is to provide technical support and guidance to ensure that program implementation adheres to appropriate standards, supports capacity building of program staff and partners and contributes to the overall strategic goals of the assigned programs/projects.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Leads case management and child protection team in program design and drawing aligned work plans and budgets and oversees day to day implementation of the approved program activities
- Provides leadership in development of inter-team communication and cohesiveness, sustaining culture and supporting staff during organizational growth
- Develops the necessary systems, processes, and tools to better support the facilitation, collection, and sharing of knowledge that is generated by the programs
- Works collaboratively with the senior management team to integrate cross program activities and functions
- Develops quarterly and annual reports for tracking program/project progress and impact, program expenditures and donations
- Demonstrates and leads on high program quality for positive team experience and exceptional project accomplishments
- Participates in developing program literature and publications, updating website content, and creating signage for workshops and events
- Builds, maintains and encourages a productive working relationship with all staff members in the organization.
- Ensures that the morale of all the department personnel is positive and providing a viable organization so as to meet the commitments
- Provides leadership that will enhance employee productivity and responsiveness in handling emerging issues.
- Leads in developing and execution of both long term and short term recruitment strategy in case management and safe shelter and positioning the organization to be strategically competitive and attractive to partners and donors.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities that include but are not limited to; planning, assigning and directing the work of supervisees, appraising the performances, rewarding the best employees and addressing complaints and also resolving the problems.
- Responsible for overall management of the safe House day to day operations, case management, child protection and Psychosocial support to the organization persons of concern.
- Maintains a safe, confidential environment for the safe house resident’s and ensures 360 degrees safety of the safe house residents
- Supervises Case Management and Child Protection Coordinator, Nurse and Counselors, and other team members to ensure maximum effectiveness and efficiency in the delivery of critical service needs to the persons of concern
- Manages safe house donation acquisitions, distributions and storage
- Reviews case management, child protection and safe house services on an ongoing basis and develops new strategies’ to address needs and or complex issues as they emerge both within and without
- Oversees the best interest process at the three levels of the organization service delivery- at the Safe Shelter, Girls Empowerment Program and community level
- Develops and manages outreach strategy that includes Home visits, relationship development, communication, and compliance
- Manages the administration and evaluation of programs. Oversees the interpretation, implementation and compliance with policies and regulations both for the organization and the government regulatory arms
- Recommends actions and/or resolves complex issues that often span the program boundaries.
- Represents the program at the Organization level and/or to external constituencies.
- Conducts crisis intervention, assessment and oversees intake procedures for clients to the program
- Facilitates monthly and quarterly outdoor events for the safe shelter residents as necessary
- Ensures that the case management and child protection team, counselors and volunteers provide high quality, fair, culturally relevant, accessible services to the organization persons of concern; similarly ensuring that the agency mission and philosophy and policies are adhered to.
- Provides direct services to clients including crisis intervention, advocacy-based counseling, legal and medical advocacy, information and referrals, safety planning, and other supportive services
- Reports emergency cases or cases facing high risk directly to the Country Director for direction.
- Ensures the smooth day-to-day operation and administrative oversight of the safe house, this includes 24 hour on call responsibilities.
- Serves as a link to the Children Department, UNHCR,IOM, foreign missions, judiciary and other partners
- Provides direct services to clients through crisis hotline, crisis counseling, individual case management, and preparation of protection schedules
- Provides on call administrative back-up coverage on evenings, weekends, & holidays
- Adheres to contractual obligations and compliance updates dictated by multiple government departments, UNHCR and donors to maintain high integrity and performance
- Manages program aspects of fiscal oversight to program including budget and supplies requisition and management
- Monitors and updates, as needed, systems, policy and procedures for program and operation manuals
- Enhances organizational excellence by establishing operational benchmarks, timelines, and resources needed to achieve strategic goals, proactively recommending and driving the same
- Supports strategic and operational planning for programs and track activity delivery progress to ensure target delivery is on track
- Evaluates programs’ policies and procedures, Identifies issues, and develops alternative solutions which may include changes to programs components, policies and procedures.
- Supports the senior leadership team, line managers, and staff to make consistent and progressive steps toward organizational and programmatic consistency and sustainability; effectively communicates work plans and priorities derived from the organization's strategic plan and objectives by partnering with senior management to follow through with coordinated accountabilities, objectives, and associated budgets.
- Partakes in resource mobilization through concept and proposal development, establishment and increase of partnerships and networks for the program and the organization in general
- Holds outreach programs and works closely with the Director of Program and CD to present a strong, positive image of the organization products and services to relevant stakeholders
- Assists with the production of key communication tools such as an impact report and contributes to update the organization website
- Assists with the production of outreach materials (displays, brochures, flyers, articles, press releases, website and background materials)
- Undertakes other responsibilities/duties not outlined above which are commensurate with a role of this nature in the humanitarian sector and which have been discussed and agreed between the line manager/superiors and the post holder
Knowledge, Skills & Competencies
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Sociology, Counselling Psychology or related field with at least five (5) years of successful experience in program planning and management including grant funded programs. Master’s Degree in project planning and management, business administration, Social Work, Counselling Psychology or other related field preferable.
- At least 4 years’ experience in management of safe shelter, case management and child protection programs
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in nonprofit middle or senior management level, preferably in girls and women empowerment programs
- Knowledge of sexual and gender based violence/domestic violence and sexual assault/abuse issues and solutions
- Understanding of challenges facing refugees in Kenya and in the region
- Knowledge of health and safety regulations regarding the safe shelters
- Experience working with young people, preferably most vulnerable (experience working with refugee children will be a plus)
- Strong demonstrated fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders including UN Agencies, foreign missions and private entities.
Method of Application
Your application should be sent to the address below indicating the position applied in the email subject by close of business Thursday 21st February 2019. Applications should include a cover letter & a detailed CV (as one document in PDF format and given your sir name) with your contact details, details of current and expected remuneration, names and contacts of three referees, one of which should be your current supervisor.
Please note that RefuSHE does not charge any fees for receiving or processing job applications. RefuSHE is an equal opportunity employer.
NB. All applications should only be sent through the email provided:
P.O Box 63192 – 00619 Nairobi Kenya
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.