- NEVER pay for any job, interview, certification, visa or any other fee to any employer or individual. If you need any clarification, email us: email@example.com
Latest Jobs at Kenya Society for Protection and Care of Animals (KSPCA)
Posted on: 18 July, 2019
Deadline: Not Specified
View Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations
View All Jobs at Kenya Society for Protection and
The Kenya Society for Protection and care of Animals (KSPCA) is the only charitable animal welfare organization that for the most part works with domestic animals.
The organization has been in existence for almost hundred years. It began in 1910 when a group of people concerned about the plight of the oxen that pulled cartloads of produce into Mombasa. Funds were raised and troughs for water were built at strategic points. As interest in animal welfare grew, The East African Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals was registered as a charity, its name being changed in the early 1970’s to Kenya Society of Protection and Care of Animals.
KSPCA is passionate about animals, animal welfare and humane treatment of animals. More Kenyans are becoming aware of animal welfare and are turning to us for advice and help with their animals problems.
- Investigating complaints of animal cruelty or abuse, and rescue injured, stray or abandoned animals.
- Advising animal owners and the public on animal welfare and building a good relationship between KSPCA and the public
- Writing reports documenting complaints and animal welfare/cruelty investigation.
- Controlling and/or impounding animals of all varieties including stray animals, unwanted animals, wildlife, deceased animals and sick/injured animals.
- Performing humane euthanasia of animals and dispose of the deceased animals as required
- Promoting and teaching humane slaughter of livestock and monitoring slaughterhouses country wide when required
- Repair and maintenance of humane slaughter equipment
- Implementing the feral cat scheme
- Checking on and ensuring that the care of the animals in the shelter is satisfactory when at the headquarters or on duty
- Liaising with the relevant Government bodies and personnel
- Promoting animal welfare and compassion
- Lecture the general public, schools and other agencies on animal care, safety and welfare.
- Giving advice on animal welfare and building a good relationship between the KSPCA and the public
- Operate an animal control vehicle to conduct patrols, respond to calls for service or
- assistance, and complete work-related errands.
- Keep animal control vehicle, tools, and equipment clean and maintained in good
- working condition
- Adhere to KSPCA vehicle management policies and procedures
- Ensuring effective and timely maintenance, servicing and repair of KSPCA vehicles in order to minimize down time
- Provide recommendations for lowering vehicle-operating expenses
- Any other duties as required for the smooth running of the Society and the welfare of all animals
- Oversee the management of KSPCA, including but not limited to, logistics and administration, development of annual work plans, financial record keeping, staff/consultant recruitment, staff training and supervision, monitoring and evaluation, and periodic reporting.
- Coordinate and communicate with the various stakeholders and partners involved in KSCPA activities. Ensure that the operations are implemented in accordance with KSPCA policies and procedures.
- Develop Scopes of Work (SOW) for long and short-term program employees as needed.
- Implement local hire employee contracts in accordance with established KSPCA hiring and dismissal practices and the Kenyan Labor Code.
- Communicate regularly and report monthly to Executive Committee on technical, administrative and financial aspects of KSPCA
The Executive Officer is:
- Responsible for the overall administrative running of the office, including routine support functions i.e. HR and administration, finance & logistics, ensuring compliance with KSPCA policies and procedures.
- To ensure that there are systems in place which monitor the use of drugs, food stuff and merchandise, ensure that drugs are properly controlled and stored in secure locations
- To manage all HR functions for the KSPCA, including recruitment, orientation of any new staff hired, supervision, staff evaluation and organization of trainings for staff to ensure they are properly trained to complete KSPCA objectives.
- To work with volunteers, consultants, and KSPCA staff to ensure that all KSPCA staff are equipped to do their jobs including understanding procedures
- To verify that the current membership list is as up to date as possible in the excel sheet, to work with the communication officer to establish a protocol on who may access the sheet, reach out to members who may have slipped through the net to reestablish contact, to ensure as current membership periods run out members are contacted and reminded to extend their membership.
- Working with the inspectors, vets to liaise with government agencies and other NGO’s serve as alternative contact for KSCPA communications when required.
- If required manage/supervise monitoring and tracking systems for budget and contracts/grants, LOE, and inventory. Monitor daily operations expenses against budget projections.
- Assist Finance Manager with relevant office administration
- To ensure that procurement is completed, documented, and delivered to the end-user in a timely manner, ensuring that items procured meet the specifications of the end-user while adhering to donor and KSPCA procurement guidelines. Ensure that the most reasonable, fair, expeditious, and appropriate procurement choices are made pursuant to procurement policy
- To manage leases & contracts and other local consultants and service providers.
- To manage the logistics of moving about Nairobi to carry out operations. Ensure the transportation fleet is in suitable condition and fully capable of meeting the demands for transport. Set up a system to monitor kms driven, and maintenance costs per vehicle. Taking into account the age of the transport, assess whether any staff have higher than normal repair demands on their vehicle.
- To maintain or establish if required a filing system in electronic and hard copy format for technical, financial, logistics/procurement and administrative documents;
- To assist in fundraising activities and writing proposals
- To manage social media platforms and ensure all posts are in line with KSPCA’s standards
- Work with KSPCA staff to ensure electronic filing system / paper filing system is in proper order and fully populated for efficient administration of the project.
- To communicate as necessary with administrative and support staff in Naivasha and Mombasa satellite offices, providing resources or backstopping as necessary.
- Contribute to activity reporting and monitoring
- Identify issues and risks related to KSPCA implementation in a timely manner and suggest appropriate adjustments to the EC.
- Perform any other task assigned by the Executive Committee
- Manage the KSPCA Clinic
- Examine animals and check their health status
- Diagnose illnesses and determine the best treatment
- Prescribe and administer medication, as appropriate
- Vaccinate animals to prevent diseases as they are brought into the KSPCA, as per the organisation’s policies
- Spay and neuter cats and dogs, and other domestic animals as appropriate, that come in to the KSPCA, as per the organisation’s policies
- Suture and dress wounds of injured animals, as appropriate
- Undertake dental, ophthalmic and orthopaedic surgeries as required
- Create, update and maintain animal medical records
- Support and participate in vaccination and spay / neuter campaigns set up by KSPCA and / or it’s partner organisations;
- Develop printable tools for new pet owners on nutrition, preventive healthcare and general care
- Identify and work with the Animal Welfare Officer (AWO) to respond to urgent animal welfare issues arising at KSPCA and in the local community;
- Promote responsible pet ownership in the wider community and assist in promoting community animal care initiatives at planned events
- Promote KSPCA’s neutering programme ensuring that as many animals as possible in the community are neutered;
- Provide reports and statistics as and when requested
- Attend internal meetings as and when requested
- Manage and account for all drugs issued to the clinic
- Prepare requisition for drugs, as appropriate
- Perform any other task assigned by the Executive Committee
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) degree
- KVB registration
- Right to live and work in Kenya
- At least 3 years of proven hands-on animal handling experience, especially dogs and cats as a veterinarian
- Experience with standard anaesthesia protocols
- Experience in spaying and neutering of domestic animals
- Experience using medical equipment for correct diagnosis e.g. microscope, slide preparation, x-ray machines
- Experience in limb amputations
Skills & attributes
- Good knowledge/understanding of animal welfare issues/law
- Excellent verbal and written English & KiSwahilli
- Ability to work well in a pressured and emotive environment
- Ability to quickly and effectively assess quality of life
- Calm and confident handling animals
- Good IT skills, intermediate Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Professional, caring and non-judgmental
- Trustworthy and reliable
- Ability to meet deadlines and work independently on projects
- Proactive, conscientious, enthusiastic, inquisitive and diligent
- Team player with other internal departments
- Respectful of all KSPCA staff
Method of Application
Use the link(s) / email(s) below to apply on company website.
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Know more about Kenya Society for Protection and care of Animals (...Similar Jobs
- Product Specialist (Clinical Trials Database) at African Academy of Sciences
- Deputy Regional Director Africa at Diakonia
- Consultancy at Poverty Eradication Network (PEN)
- Manager (Conservation Strategy & Impact Analysis) at African Wildlife Foundation
- Mailroom Messenger at Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- Administration Officer at Norwegian Refugee Council
- Investment Facilitation Manager at Africa Enterprise Challenge Fund
- Evaluation Specialist at UNICEF