Protection International is an international not-for-profit organisation. It researches strategies and security management tools that empower human rights defenders (HRDs), organisations and communities to protect themselves. PI shares its expertise in this area with people at risk due to their human rights work. PI sees human rights defenders as agents of change who form a pillar of free and just societies. In many parts of the world the defence of human rights evokes pressure, threats and attacks from state and non-state actors. PI works with the local human rights movement to develop strategies and programmes prevent and counter such counter pressure. PI tailors its approach to each context and profile. It works in Asia, Africa, Europe and Latin-America, with presence in Thailand, Indonesia, Kenya, Tanzania, DR Congo, Burundi, Colombia, Guatemala, and Belgium (head-office).
With the support of EU, PI Kenya will be implementing a two year project under the title, “Kamwe: supporting Women HRDs and their grassroots organisations to document and prevent Extrajudicial Executions in the Republic of Kenya.” We are seeking an exceptionally dynamic and competent project finance officer to support financial and grants management of primarily this EU Project, and various projects ran by PI.
Overall Purpose of the Job
The holder of this role will ensure that the day-to-day accounting operations and financial management functions of the Co-applicants under this project are performed in accordance with internal policy and procedures. They will also assist programmes staff in developing and seeking approvals for activity budgets and expenditure; Maintain accurate records of financial transactions in order to monitor financial status and progress of project activities; Ensure all relevant accounting data are updated, reconciled and fully supported; Work closely with the Protection Officer, Senior Finance Officer and an administrative assistant to review and account for procurement transactions and ensure adequate supporting documentation, accuracy of amounts and control over payments.
Main Duties include:
- Ensure timely processing of project financial and accounting data, confirming such data; in accordance with the laid down procedures and policies, accurate, complete, adequately supported by all underlying appropriate documents, correctly coded to appropriate expenses and project budget lines and donor codes/ class, and preparation of payments
- Ensure adherence to the Finance Policy and Accounts Procedure Manual and other applicable procedures.
- Ensure timely project financial reporting – producing monthly and quarterly actual v budget (variance) analysis and other management information that may be required from time to time,
- Ensure that all Sub-grant payments are processes on schedule, and confirmation / acknowledgement of receipts are received by PIK.
- Review field expense reports for accuracy and completeness, forward them for approval by the Senior Finance Officer and prepare relevant respective journals.
- Review the Project ledger in the accounting system ensuring completeness and accuracy and propose correcting entries for the approval of the Senior Finance Officer.
- Constantly monitor systems to record and reconcile expenditures, balances, payments, statements and other day-to-day financial transactions relating to the project.
- Prepare monthly project bank and cash reconciliations, and forecasts, and forward them for necessary approvals as per PI’s applicable Policies and procedures.
- Extract monthly updated project financial reports for review by the Senior Finance Officer and the project’s Protection Officer.
- Assist the Senior Finance Officer in enforcing the Organisation’s internal control systems.
- Assist in the preparation of the project annual budget, financial projections for year-end forecasting.
- Assist in external audit coordination of the project/ fund Accountability statement, including preparation relevant audit schedules or as may be assigned. investigating variances of project costs
- Ensuring sub-grant financial reports are up to date and in line with project required reporting templates.
- Ensuring transactions processed fully comply with Kenyan laws and regulations
- Support finance and administration department in its function as procurement focal centre, to drive the implementation of procurement policies and plans, aimed at cost effective acquisition of high quality materials, goods, consultancies and non-consultancy services;
- Assessing risks using sensitivity analysis approach especially using margin of safety for the relevant factors, and scenario building (for more than one factor)
- Contributing on operational and strategic issues as a member of the Finance and Administration team
- Ensure expenditure are incurred and reported in line with contractual agreements;
- Provide financial guidance and supervision to staff that might be assigned to work under him/her including interns, with regards to donor reporting etc.
- Manage contractual negotiations and agreements with vendors and service providers;
- Monitor and advise on the financial status of the different projects and programmes as well as bank reconciliations of all accounts;
- Participate in preparing project proposals (description of activities, contribute to context and beneficiaries analysis when required), work plans, budgets and budget implementation as well as monitor all financial transactions;
- Prepare and file financial reports;
- Advise on any accounting procedures, policies, directives and laws that accrue to non- profit organizations in Kenya;
- Co-ordinate with staff on the logistical aspects of the implementation of activities;
- Undertaking any other duties that might, from time to time, be assigned;
- Maintain regular communication and liaise with PI's Finance Department at the Head Office on Finance matters
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
Minimum Tangible Qualifications
- A Bachelor’s degree (B.com accounting option or other business, accounting or economics related discipline), from a recognized reputable university.
- 4 years’ experience in a similar position at an international or regional Not-for-Profit organisation and deep working knowledge in NGO accounting and reporting, particularly for EU projects.
- Strong IS and IT Skills (including experience in use of MS office packages or related computer applications)
- Qualified Accountant (CPA-K, ACCA, CMA or equivalent qualifications)
- Must have hands on experience in use of networked common accounting and/or ERP, on-premise or cloud based systems, using QuickBooks, Sun system, SAP Oracle, SAGE (preffered) etc.
- Ability to respond effectively to inquiries or complaints.
- Good communication (oral & written) & interpersonal skills;
- Good time management, ability to multi task and perform under pressure
- High sense of confidentiality, initiative and good judgment
- A person of high level of integrity and ethical standards
- Able to observe and enforce internal controls
- Fully understands and applies relevant and irrelevant costs for decision making.
Method of Application
Interested applicants should send their intent letter (not more than 2 pages responding to each major requirement), accompanied by resume with names and addresses of 3 professional referees (not more than 3 pages including telephone and e-mail)
Applications are by e-mails only, sent to: email@example.com
Please indicate the reference on the subject line as for position you are applying for.
Deadline for submission of applications is on 25th October, 2019.
Please note: Only complete applications will be reviewed, and only candidates who have been selected for interview will be contacted. The position is open to applicants with legal requirements to work in Kenya and does not discriminate on age, gender, sexual orientation of physical inabilities.