If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
PwC is truly a Kenyan firm with global links; committed to helping our clients meet the challenges posed by the global economy. In Africa we're the largest provider of professional services with close to 400 partners and over 9000 people in 34 countries. This means that we’re able to provide our clients with seamless and consistent service, wherever they're located on the continent.
Solid Waste Management and Recycling Expert
The Government of Kenya has adopted four priority areas to spur economic growth, create employment and transform the livelihoods of the citizens over a five-year period up to 2022. The four development priorities christened as the Big Four Agenda are Food Security, Manufacturing, Universal Healthcare and Affordable Housing especially for the Urban Poor.
Our Client is a government department that intends to play a key role in the implementation of the Big Four Agenda through direct interventions in the priority areas as well as leveraging its mandate to facilitate and enable state and non-state actors to achieve these priorities. To position themselves for this critical role, Our Client is currently prioritizing and streamlining their activities and programs in the following areas:
- Manufacturing: Commercially produce cotton to contribute towards increased local production for garment and other forms of cotton-based manufacturing and expand capacity in textile and apparels production.
- Food Security and Nutrition: Invest in large-scale farming of such crops as Rice, Maize, Sugarcane, Grapes etc. This will contribute towards eliminating the existing national production deficits for these crops and increase food security and nutrition.
- Solid Waste Management and Recycling: Explore solid waste management and recycling through a partnership with select County Governments in waste management and recycling.
- Renewable Energy: Contribute to harvesting solar energy to supplement the national grid through development of a solar power park through Public Private Partnership arrangements.
To support the above programs, Our Client wishes to recruit a Waste Management and Recycling Expert.
Roles & Responsibilities
Job Purpose and Responsibilities
The Solid Waste Management and Recycling Expert will play a direct role in designing and implementing Solid Waste Management and Recycling interventions in collaboration with select county governments. They will provide technical leadership in designing and implementing a framework for a Solid Waste Management and Recycling project that will enable Our Client utilize the resources available to achieve its commercialization agenda and contribute to the achievement of clean and sustainable urban areas.
- Conduct a rapid Solid Waste Management Situation Analysis, including a review of past solid waste activities as well as past studies and draw lessons;
- Spearhead the development and design of appropriate business models in waste management, including areas for direct implementation and those for outsourcing, and links with the market.
- Define and scope solid waste management intervention within urban areas, including designing clear terms of reference that outline the specific roles to be played by Our Client and those to be played by the relevant urban management departments.
- Designing technical solutions which include appropriate solid waste management technologies, choice of waste and products to be recycled, and selection of business and technical partners where necessary.
- Design a Stakeholder engagement framework and support actors’ coordination and consultations for project ownership and buy-in.
Key qualifications and experience:
- Master’s degree in in Urban Environment, Urban Planning, Development Studies or relevant field, from a recognized university.
- Minimum of 10 years of professional work experience in urban development, including management of urban projects and commercialization of urban services, preferably in Waste
- Management and Recycling.
- Experience preparing reports and analysis to support management decisions.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, including demonstrated advanced ICT skills.
- Demonstrable thorough knowledge of Kenya’s public and private stakeholders in solid waste management and suitable engagement approaches.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.