If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
The Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI) is a State Corporation established in Kenya in 1979 through the Science and Technology (Repealed) Act, Cap 250 of the Laws of Kenya and as currently established and dully accredited to continue to operate as such under the Science Technology and Innovation Act, 2013 as the national body responsible for carrying out research in health in Kenya. KEMRI’s vision is “to be a leading center of excellence in human health research” and its mission is “to improve human health and quality of life through research, capacity building, innovation and service delivery”.
KEMRI seeks to recruit dynamic, innovative and experienced persons to fill the following positions:
Principal Research Officer (Research Regulation/ethics)
JOB GROUP MR/13
Position Description: -
The holder of this position will be the Head of KEMRI’s Scientific and Ethical Review Unit (SERU) and will report to the Deputy Director (Research & Development). He/She will be responsible for provision of regulatory expertise for purposes of regulatory compliance and ensuring provision of efficient and timely review of research proposals.
Duties and Responsibilities:-
- Responsible for the day-to-day administrative and regulatory operations at the Scientific and Ethical Review Unit (SERU).
- Developing and implementing policies and procedures and in the design and implementation of projects and programs supporting SERU activities.
- Providing analytical, technical and professional support to the Institutional Review Board.
- Supporting all aspects of applicable regulatory compliance.
- Ensuring optimal service to the research community and accurate compliance with relevant government and Institutional policies.
- Advising investigators on compliance with Kenyan laws, regulations, policies and procedures related to human research participants' protection.
- Ensuring maintenance of an up-to-date understanding of the national and international policies and regulations.
- Participating in the development, design, and delivery of research ethics training for researchers, SERU members, and/or SERU Secretariat staff.
- The Human subjects protection officer for the FWA.
- Be responsible for mobilizing resources for SERU activities.
- Providing oversight in the development and implementation of Monitoring and Quality assurance systems for SERU;
- Providing training, day-to-day guidance and supervision of SERU Staff, research analysts and research administrators; and
- Engaging in research on ethics / human subjects’ protection.
Requirements for Appointment:-
For appointment to this grade a candidate must have:
- Bachelor’s degree in any of the following fields;- Medicine, Dentistry, Veterinary Medicine, Pharmacy Biomedical Sciences, Public Health or any relevant Social Science, or equivalent qualifications from a recognized Institution;
- Master’s and PhD degree in any of the above fields;
- A higher qualification in research or Clinical ethics will be an advantage;
- Diploma in ethics or Certified IRB professional;
- Four (4) years or more in research management experience in a similar organization, membership in an ethics committee;
- Training in management for at least one month;
- Analytical skills to interpret data and present findings;
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively work with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse research environment;
- Problem solving and decision-making skills;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of SERU information and records;
- Meets the requirement of Chapter six Constitution Kenya
- Ability to lead a team and to be a team player with strong mentoring and capacity building skills.
The following will be required during the interviews:
- Certificate of good conduct, Higher
- Education Loans Board compliance certificate, KRA Tax compliance certificate, Credit Reference
- Bureau clearance certificate, Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission clearance.
Method of Application
Interested candidates should submit their applications enclosing a detailed CV, copies of academic and professional certificates, email address, a day time telephone contact and the details and contact information for three referees to the following address, not later than 22nd May, 2018 to:-
Kenya Medical Research Institute,
P.O. Box 54840-00200
NAIROBI, (Attn: Head of Human Resources)
KEMRI is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity. Persons with disability, women, youth and those from marginalized areas are encouraged to apply.
Please write the Position applied for on the envelope and in the subject Line of the Application letter.
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.