MSF Eastern Africa is the regional institutional office for MSF in East Africa. The office focuses on representation and networking, including with humanitarian organisations and authorities, recruiting and supporting staff from the region, communications and fundraising, as well as on other dossiers of importance to MSF such as Diversity, Equality and Inclusion (DEI), mutualization, trainings, medical operational support and environmental health.
You can learn more about MSF here
The Scope and mandate of EAS HR in the section office will be to support and manage staff recruited from the region, while the (instutional) office provide representation and contribution to global HR issues/topics and positioning as a strategic partner to Operations, other platforms and actor’s within the movement.
General objective of the position:
The Human Resources Manager (HRM) reports to the Head of HR & Administration (HoHR) of the MSF EAS.
He/she is responsible for ensuring that the Office HR & Administration of the section meet’s the MSF EAS HR standards.
The HRM will be responsible for implementation of HR & Administrative policies of the office, ensure proper staff administration within the Kenyan Legal frame while observing and adhering to other global standards and requirements for staff management as an institutional office, through active link with other MSF offices (locally/international).
The HRM is also responsible for ensuring that HR policies and procedures are communicated and implemented in a consistent, fair and transparent basis and provide advice/feedback and inputs relating to HR issues to the HoHR.
The HRM will support the recruitment of MSF EAS office staff, induction and orientation of the staff, support in coordination of training and development, implementation of the internship programme and assists Unit Heads, supervisors and other staff with methodologies related to career planning, performance management and employee relations.
He/she will supervise and manage the HR/Admin office team in the office.
Key Tasks and responsibilities
HR Planning, Management, Reporting and Communication
- Participate in the HR annual plan and give inputs to the Head of HR in development of the HR unit in line with the HR strategy.
- Implement actions/decision of the Action Plan and ensure proper accountability on HR/Admin unit/team.
- Support the EAS transition plan under the direction of the HoHR.
- Implement all HR policies of the office and ensure proper communication on the same.
- Provide inputs on new and existing HR Policies and guidelines for review by the HoHR.
- Participate in office meetings, where needed coordinate/organise specific HR topics for information/communication to staff.
- Supervise the HR/Admin assistant, train and support the Office HR team on HR system, tools and processes.
- Implement the Performance management system (PMS) and development of Key Performance Indicators for the staff under his supervision, while providing guidance to the office staff on the PMS.
- As the primary focal point on office HR, link with all offices (KE and International) on all aspects of staff contracting and administration, and ensure all contracts comply with the requirements of the office and Lega frames (Kenyan staff, non-Kenyan staff, Hosted positions).
- Act as ‘Account & process Owner’ (technical manager) of the office HRIS.
- Provide the HoHR & management with relevant reports on staff data and indicators, and ensure proper follow up for staff in the HRIS; includes but not limited to leave/absence management, sick/medical leave,
- Provide strategic support to supervisors or any other staff regarding HR policies and procedures, including grievances, disciplinary matters and other HR-related issues, within the legal framework of the EAS.
- Support in conducting/facilitating exit interviews for staff prior to their departure and giving feedback to the relevant Unit Head.
- Informs HoHR in case a legal risk is detected within her/his area of responsibilities and suggests actions to take in order to prevent it. Follows up employees’ claims and keeps HoHR informed at any time.
- Support the HoHR with any global HR initiatives for the office.
Recruitment and Orientation
- Participate in the (annual) planning of recruitment, together with the relevant department’s.
- Ensure that every position has updated job profiles.
- Support in drafting adverts for vacancies within the organisation and distribute through approved channels.
- Coordinate the Office recruitment process at MSF EAS and serve on the panel for HR consideration/input.
- Lead the recruitment and enrolment of interns through the application of the Intern Policy.
- Develop and implement orientation and evaluation sessions for interns.
- Assist in the review of Job profiles for Scoring of positions according to Hay methodology for professional and senior level positions for final review/validation by the HoHR.
- Support in the development and implementation of guideline/frame for HR Orientation/induction for all new staff and ensuring that all staff are aware of HR policies and procedures.
- Review the monthly office Payroll and ensure proper management and application of the Legal and EAS employment frame on remuneration and rewards for all category of staff.
- Responsible for HR & staff audits.
- Manage and implement the Staff Health policy application for office staff; including Medical Insurance contracts, MEDEVAC procedures, and statutory obligations as required by Law and Health guidelines/policy (including Group Personal accident, 3rd party Liability, other).
- Responsible for Administrative contracts and ensuring that Legal considerations are considered/applied to mitigate risks.
- Advice HoHR and management on administrative considerations for the office, staff and any risks or liability that may arise.
- As a member of the Occupational safety and Health Committee (OSH) and HR representative in the committee, ensure all safety and health issues are considered for staff and reflected in policies.
- Ensure that Global Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Protection of Personal Information Act is applied in all HR & administrative policies & processes of the Office, in compliance with local and international requirements.
- Ensure an efficient filing system (physical and electronic files) of all administrative files, granting strict confidentiality of employees’ personal files and other administrative private documents upon request of HoHR.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in HR, Administration and related studies.
- Working experience of at least two years in HR/administration, with proven experience in people management.
- Applied knowledge of HRIS tools and processes.
- MSF experience is an added advantage.
- Commitment to MSF’s Principles
- Cross-cultural Awareness
- Behavioural Flexibility
- Stress Management
- Analytical Thinking
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Service Orientation
- Planning and Organising
- People management and development
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Motivation for working in humanitarian sector.
- Knowleadgable on issues of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion.
- Flexible to adjust work hours when required.
- Position based in Eastern Africa Section (EAS) office
- Full time job.
- Duration of contract: 24 month/2 years.
- Annual gross salary of KES 2,974,272 divided into twelve monthly payments + Secondary benefits based on EAS Reward Policy.
- Starting date: ASAP.