The Senior Manager, Partnerships will drive Stanbic’s inorganic growth strategy, driving transactions that will accelerate our ambition to step into new lines of business and bring additional strength to Stanbic. The role holder will question, ideate, think analytically and strategically about a diverse array of opportunities and challenges, in a bid to bring together all the pieces of a transaction that meaningfully delivers to our customers and advances our growth.
Specifically, the Partnerships Trailblazer’s responsibility includes leading and seeing strategic investment projects effectively applying due diligence and financial modelling with a view to making good investment decisions and spearheading the transaction execution process.
The mandate of this role will often mirror the work of strategy consulting firms and investment banks, but with an emphasis on driving impact in close collaboration with ecosystems, solutions and business leaders.
You will have excellent commercial acumen, negotiation and influencing skills and inject creativity and innovative thinking to help us explore multiple sectors, new digital business models and completely new territories and capabilities.
The Partnerships Trailblazer plays an essential part in shaping the evolution of our portfolio. The role holder will enable Stanbic to penetrate new customers and partner ecosystems, multiplying the value of our solutions.
- Drive transactions across all stages, further Stanbic’s inorganic ambitions through strong leadership and advisory skills
- Lead target sourcing, prioritization, and execution of inorganic transactions in line with Stanbic’s ambition (acquisition, JVs, alliances and/or commercial partnership opportunities)
- Actively engage with ecosystem, solutions and business leads on opportunities for inorganic growth, in identifying, assessing strategic rationale & finding path to delivery
- Develop the supporting business case underpinning each opportunity; overall competitive context and market forecasts, comprehensive financial modelling and analysis, including financial forecasts for partnership, synergies evaluation and valuation.
- Lead initial confidential evaluation through term sheet negotiation, due diligence, negotiation of transaction documents
- Working in close collaboration with SBG Strategic Investment lead, ensure deal structure and terms are consistent with corporate strategy, transaction mandate and governance
- Understand, challenge and fine-tune assumptions regarding rationale, financial projections, and financial implications; in developing M&A and partnership proposals, enabling sound decision-making by the venture board and senior leadership
- Preparing negotiation strategy and taking a leadership role in negotiations on the basis of legal, compliance, financial and operational advice on the key deal parameters
- Running an efficient and effective project and stakeholder management for all transactions; assembling and leading a global, multi-disciplinary team of internal and external experts throughout the transaction process; soliciting input from and ensuring alignment among internal stakeholders;
- Influence and advice the Head, Innovation and senior business leadership on Stanbic’s inorganic strategy and deal decisions.
- Optimise M&A/ Partnerships business performance internal to Stanbic Bank
- Act as a sounding board for the assigned executive on the development of strategic investment theses and implement approach + sourcing plan towards realizing the strategic partnerships ambition in building new capabilities and revenue streams
- Create playbooks for and lead deal execution activities including processes for venture board and investment/leadership council reviews
- Build Stanbic’s strategic investing brand both through 1:1 relationship building, thought leadership and strategic collaborations. Further, hold the primary relationship with potential partners and handle all aspects of the interaction and/or transaction
- Develop and maintain a broad network of entrepreneurs and investors to hone market understanding as well as create investment opportunities
- Mentor and build internal capacity across the Innovation organization and thought leader across Stanbic
- Conduct cold reviews of projects/transaction to help identify areas for improvement / best practice that would help improve the quality of advice and efficiency of delivery
- Own and manage the risks across transactions
- Drive a culture of proactive compliance
- Interact with specialist risk areas (operational risk, financial crime risk management, information security and risk, et al) to ensure that business risk management requirements are addressed across all stages of engagement and transactions
- Actively conduct quality assurance on all aspects of the M&A value chain to ensure risks are appropriately addressed and mitigated
- Ensure that integrity, due skill, care and diligence is displayed always
- Observe proper standards of market conduct and act in accordance with these standards
- Deal with the regulators in an open and cooperative way and disclose appropriately any information of which the regulator would reasonably expect notice
Preferred Qualification and Experience
- First Degree in Finance and Accounting
- At least 10 years’ experience in the Mergers & Acquisitions(M&A) /Investment banking environment
go to method of application »
As a key member of the Senior Client Solutions Team, the Business Manager, is responsible for supporting the Head of Client Solutions with the delivery of the of the Standard Bank Client Solutions strategy in Kenya.
The focus of the Business Manager is to ensure that the Client Solutions operating model is fit for purpose and on coordination, execution (mostly technical) and follow-up of day to day actions generated by the Head of Client Solutions across the business and overseeing a programme of strategic projects relevant to the segment.
Included in the scope is the provision of capacity to the Client Solutions team for ad hoc, strategic or other prioritised pieces of work.
The Business Manager will work closely with the Head of Client Solutions for matters relating to client experience across the business.
Support strategy formulation and execution
Support the Head of Client Solutions with the formulation of strategy and the overall process of executing against the strategy.
Monitoring, measurement and reporting on progress against the strategy and KPIs.
Collaborate closely with internal Client Solutions stakeholders, Wholesale, Business and Commercial and, Consumer and High Networth stakeholders, Corporate Functions and stakeholders in core territories to kick off new work streams, coordinate efforts, monitor, review and report on progress against plans or objectives.
Identify day-to-day service issues and high touch activities - monitor progress and get involved to “do whatever it takes” to ensure successful resolution in terms of client experience.
Identify trends in complaints or day-to-day issues and recommend or implement improvements as appropriate.
Coordinate client survey interpretation and actions.
Implement “quick win” best practice client experience initiatives.
- Compile monthly Client Solutions report (and various variants) for submission to bank Leadership Council, Client Solutions Leadership Council, and other Group and Africa Regions Client Solutions Leadership Councils.
- Take ownership of Client Solutions meeting calendar and ensure coordination, arrangement, paper distribution and proactive planning of agendas.
- Compile reports and generate appropriate management information where appropriate or coordinate report preparation in line with agreed standards.
- Client Solutions Operations
- Collaborate closely with Corporate Functions to ensure that operations of Client Solutions are run effectively and efficiently within the context of the Client Solutions operating model,
- Understand and analyse costs
- Monitor impact on service standards and SLAs
- Liaise with all business and Corporate Functions and (non-core) product to ensure seamless client origination, maintenance and reporting
- Facilitate, monitor and track the implementation, maintenance and management of an effective system of controls throughout Client Solutions, covering non-financial as well as financial controls;
- Facilitate the establishment and coordination of appropriate standards of Service across Client Solutions and monitor compliance therewith.
- Provide streamlined middle and back-office support to Business Units – design and manage processes.
- Client Solutions Programme Management
- Manage, monitor and report on progress of Client Solutions projects
- Support Client Solutions projects and programmes as and when required
- Products Management Support
- Support the sales teams in conceptualisation and development of new products.
- Support the relevant product governance teams e.g. NACS process as far as Client Solutions is concerned.
- Support the budgeting formulation and revision process as per Standard Bank guidelines.
- Support ongoing product management and maintenance.
- Development of appropriate sales/service support tools.
- Collaborate closely with the finance team to ensure all financial systems, processes, controls and reporting are fit for purpose as agreed with the Head of Client Solutions:
- Produce business-specific management information
- Ensure compliance with financial guidelines
- Coordinate the compilation of a yearly budget for Client
- Solutions and Rolling Forecasts as required by Finance. Provide context and variance analyses to substantiate the numbers in line with the agreed strategic plan.
- Strategic Initiatives – Support Business Development
- Provide research and capacity for the evaluation of new opportunities on a case by case basis
- Provide research and capacity for the tracking and monitoring of benefit realisation on various important Client Solutions initiatives
- IMPORTANT RELATIONSHIPS
- Client Solutions Team
- Business Functions (Wholesale, Business & Commercial and Consumer & High Networth)
- Corporate Functions
- Group Client Solutions business heads, and relevant staff across jurisdictions
- External Service providers, as and when established.
KEY PERFORMANCE MEASURES
- 25% = Client Solutions KPI Dashboard – as agreed (annually) – will include:
- Financial measures;
- Client focused measures;
- Measures covering people, process and risk.
- 75% = Individual KPIs
- Annual planning and budgeting
- Client Solutions meeting calendar, appropriate agendas and management information
- Client experience
- Monitoring and performance of Client Solutions operations
- Programme management effectiveness
- Integrity of segment info and client lists
- Ad hoc request performance
- Quality and effectiveness of collaboration with stakeholders
Preferred Qualification and Experience
- Minimum appropriate financial or investment degree - postgraduate qualification would be an advantage
- Proven track record in the financial services industry at a senior level