The ideal candidate will have some prior experience working in a similar role. You will be happy working as a member of a small team in a dynamic and diverse organization with a global reach.
Reporting to: Finance Manager
Application deadline: 17 March 2021
Start date: As soon as possible
Description of Duties
Financial accounting and control
- Key in transactions into the accounting system (QuickBooks Online) as required. Ensure that the relevant support documents for all payments are submitted by the Programmes team and properly filed by finance either on Dropbox or in physical files as may be required. These include payment vouchers, supplier invoices, consultant contracts and all pre-contracting documentation.
- Work with the rest of the finance team to ensure timely and accurate preparation of financial reports such as management accounts and donor financial reports.
- Perform monthly supplier reconciliations.
- Maintain a fixed asset register and ensure it is accurate and up to date.
- Coordinate procurement, including sourcing and purchasing items as requested using the RVI procurement guidelines.
- Undertake monthly bank reconciliations.
- Manage petty cash, including accurate recording of all expenses paid by petty cash.
- Ensure timely and accurate submission of monthly expenditure reports from all RVI offices, staff and consultants.
- Maintain and prepare the monthly accounts of expenditure for the Nairobi office.
Office administration and logistics
- Maintain an up-to-date supplier/vendor list.
- Maintain inventories of office supplies and manage orders and requests.
- File corporate documentation in physical and digital form, ensuring all physical documentation is filed in RVI’s Nairobi office.
- Keep track of expiry dates of all RVI insurance policies and escalate accordingly necessary action to be taken.
- Ensure all finance and administration deadlines are recorded in the institutional calendar and reminders are sent to all involved.
- Assist in ensuring that RVI meets its financial statutory obligations in Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan and Somaliland.
- Provide logistical support for travel and accommodation arrangements for the Executive Director, Nairobi office and visiting RVI staff and consultants (e.g. taxi/airport transfer booking arrangements, flight bookings, hotel accommodation and pricing, etc.).
- Ensure all office equipment runs properly and is well maintained. This includes monitoring the working condition of assets, such as computers, and performing periodic asset verification exercises. Report any defects to management for relevant action to be taken.
- Coordinate with the programme team to ensure that the finance team receives approved staff and consultants travel plans before date of travel. Ensure the travel calendar is up to date.
- Ensure that all RVI staff submit their leave and TOIL forms and ensure the leave register is up to date.
- Ensure office environment is orderly and clean.
- Manage incoming phone calls.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
- Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting/Finance) degree
- Master of a professional accounting/administration course will be an added advantage
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in the accounting/finance and administration field
- Advanced written and oral communication skills in English
- Track record of rapid skills acquisition and adaptability
- Knowledge of QuickBooks Accounting Software and Excel would be an added advantage.
go to method of application »
The ideal candidate will have some prior experience working in a similar role and an interest in eastern, central and the Horn of Africa. If based in the UK, occasional travel to the region, particularly Kenya, is likely in future. You will be happy working as a member of a small team in a dynamic and diverse organization with a global reach.
Location: UK (London) or Kenya (Nairobi). Potential for some homeworking.
Employment type: 3 days per week
Reporting to: Senior Publications and Programme Manager
Salary range: GBP 19,500 / USD 27,200, pro rata. Other benefits include 28 days annual paid leave (pro rata), pension plan, and flexible working hours (subject to negotiation).
Application deadline: 24 March 2021
Start date: As soon as possible
Description of Duties
Website management (30%)
- Ensure the Institute’s website—www.riftvalley.net—is regularly updated with news, publications (reports, briefings and blogs), projects, events and vacancies.
- Manage any maintenance and improvements to the website through the content management system or using web-developers where necessary.
- Liaise with colleagues to ensure that any static webpages, including information on RVI programmes and projects, new staff, Fellows, courses, and general information about the Institute remain up-to-date.
- Support programmes to develop written, video and audio material.
- Monitor website use via Google Analytics.
Social media (25%)
- Manage output from the Institute’s social media accounts, particularly Twitter and Facebook, to promote RVI’s work.
- Curate and coordinate inputs from across the Institute, and post on platforms.
- Manage RVI’s social media style guide, update the guide as necessary and ensure consistency across platforms.
- Develop strategies for increasing the Institute’s presence on social media, including via new channels such as Instagram.
Publications and outreach (20%)
- Assist the Publications Manager in developing content for digital platforms, principally blogs and news pieces for the website.
- Compile and distribute RVI’s newsletter and programme updates via email to the Institute’s mailing lists.
- Assist with editorial work on publications when needed.
- Develop, in consultation with the Education and Forum Team, marketing material for RVI courses and events, including brochures, paid advertisements, and social media and email campaigns.
Publications design (15%)
- Use InDesign to design and typeset RVI publications. Where necessary work with external designers to develop RVI publication templates (reports, briefings etc).
- Support the development and application of graphics.
IT management (10%)
- Manage RVI’s Google suite.
- Manage RVI software subscriptions and related payment schedules.
- Advise on and purchase IT hardware (laptops, screens etc) and software.
- Educated to undergraduate level.
- Native or fluent English speaker.
- Experience with Drupal website content management system and HTML.
- Proficient with Adobe Creative Cloud—InDesign and Photoshop.
- Experience with Google Suite and MS Suite.
- Experience with Mailchimp digital marketing.
- Experience of social media platforms for work purposes, including (but not restricted to) Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
- Experience of writing and editing website content.
- Ability to work as part of a small team.
- Experience working in a related role—INGO or similar—with responsibility for communications, website management, social media, IT support and publication design.
- Interest in and / or experience working in or on eastern Africa and central Africa.
- Ability to work in a second language, particularly Swahili, Arabic, Somali or French.