One Acre Fund
is a nonprofit organization that supplies smallholder farmers in East Africa with asset-based financing and agriculture training services to reduce hunger and poverty.
The purpose of this position is to manage one direct report and oversee a team of Regional HR Associates to deliver HR services to the field team in One Acre Fund. In turn this will enable line managers and employees to adequately respond to operational challenges in the field through a Human Resources presence at the district level. This role will entail having a direct supervision of HR services through the Regional HR Associates in the field operations. This function reports to the HR Lead.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Understanding the HR strategy and overseeing its implementation within the Field Operations teams
- Report to the HR Lead at the headquarters and then give expertise on any relevant information that may shape the Regional HR Associates strategy and priorities as well as the design of HR policies and processes
- Plan and facilitate Regional HR Associates monthly meetings
- Be accountable for the delivery of HR services at the districts level
- Validate and ensure HR processes and policies are delivered consistently and accordingly to guidelines from the headquarters
- Advise and guide Field leadership in the execution of core people management responsibilities
- Supervise Regional HR Associates in the execution of daily HR activities and provide necessary guidance and advice
- Implement ad-hoc HR projects and initiatives from HR
- Perform quality controls and monitor production Key Performance Indicators
- Facilitate high level escalated disciplinary cases to be handled in headquaters
- Directly handle any disciplinary cases from the Regional HR Associates team
- In charge of tracking and sharing of HR/Field databases
- Offer advisory support on matters relating to Field staff welfare or challenges
- Display exceptional project management skills and an ability to multitask and prioritize in a challenging environment
- Carry out any other relevant duties that may be requested by your supervisor
Career Growth and Development
One Acre Fund invests in building management and leadership skills. Your manager and a global support team will commit significant time in your career development. We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through mentorship and through regular management consulting-style career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one meetings, where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about. Because of our rapid growth, we constantly have new high-level roles opening up and opportunities in many functions.
We are seeking an exceptional professional with a passion for people support and experience in HR. We are seeking someone with the following:
- Ability to develop the role with exemplary conduct and to represent the HR function in the field;
- Ability to guide, support, delegate appropriately and provide developmental guidance to HR staff under her/his direct supervision;
- Ability to advise key stakeholders on all aspects of people management and development;
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to create and maintain partnerships at all levels of the delegation, both with staff and managers;
- Excellent and effective communication and listening skills and ability to interact collaboratively in a multicultural team;
- Strong analytical, decision making and organizational skills and ability to handle multiple priorities in an autonomous manner;
- Cultural awareness and commitment to encourage diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
Specific qualifications include, but are not limited to:
- A degree in social sciences or any related field
- Strong Academic background, with at least 3 years of relevant experience in an HR generalist or HR Manager function
- National experience, preferably in the humanitarian sector, would be a distinct asset
- Effective at crisis management and good at making instant decisions
- 2 years’ experience in Project management and execution
- Very good command of English, written and spoken
- Fully conversant with office package
Preferred Start Date: ASAP
Compensation: We offer a modest starting salary that affords a high quality of life in our areas of operation. This is a career-track role with performance-based raises and the ability to expand responsibilities over time.
Note: We will not be able to sponsor a visa for this position.
One Acre Fund (known as TUBURA in Rwanda) is a social enterprise in Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Ethiopia, Malawi, Uganda, and Burundi that is innovating a new way of helping farm families to achieve their full potential.
Instead of giving handouts, One Acre Fund invests in farmers to generate a permanent gain in farm income. We provide farmers with a ‘market bundle’ that includes education, finance, seed and fertilizer, and market access. Our program is proven impactful – every year, we weigh thousands of harvests and measure more than $100 of impact per client. We are growing quickly. In ten years, we have grown to serve 450,000 farm families with more than 5,000 full-time field staff.
- You will be responsible for investigating and resolving a variety of internal, legal cases arising at One Acre Fund – Tubura in Rwanda. In doing so, you would uphold (1.) Rwandan law, and (2.) the One Acre Fund policies and values.
- Assume managerial responsibility for at least one Assistant Investigator
- Report up to one of our internal counsels in our Global Legal Department
- Remotely assist regional HR staff in Rwanda when resolving minor cases and travel to One Acre Fund district offices and field sites in Rwanda to personally investigate more complex cases
- Be a recipient of fraud alerts from staff and third-party stakeholders and ensure confidentiality and whistle-blower protection
- Re-assess whether current internal organizational policies fall in line with Rwandan law
- Proactively improve and further develop One Acre Fund – Tubura policies in light of changing legal requirements and organizational needs
- Train HR at our headquarters in Rubengera and in district offices as well as other members of staff in correctly applying and living up to Rwandan law, the One Acre Fund – Tubura code of conduct, as well as select other HR related policies and procedures
Career Growth and Development
One Acre Fund invests heavily in building management and leadership skills. Your manager will invest significant time in your career development. We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through mentorship and through regular management consulting-style career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one meetings, where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about. Finance & Operations Specialists will have access to regular and ongoing professional development opportunities aimed at building the soft and hard skills required for quick rapid professional growth. Because of our rapid growth, we constantly have new roles opening up and opportunities in many functions. This results in fast career growth for our staff.
- A Bachelor’s degree in law and at least two years of work experience in a professional, legal-work related environment such as a law firm, an investigations office, or a court
- Fluent knowledge of Kinyarwanda and very good ability to speak, understand, and write in English
- Solid computer skills regarding e-mail, internet usage, GoogleDocs, and Microsoft Word and Excel
- Maturity, integrity, and confidentiality are personality traits that are required for this role; in addition, we expect very good people skills and a high level of stress resistance
Preferred Start Date: ASAP
Compensation: Starts modest. However, this is a career-track role with raises for performance.
Benefits: Housing, transportation, and airtime allowance.
Note: We will not be able to sponsor a visa for this position
Method of Application
Use the link(s) / email(s) below to apply on company website.