If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
What does this mean for a brand that is 155 years old? It means that we know, understand and believe in Africa and all her opportunities. We see the potential it has for our people, our customers, entrepreneurs and those who are as passionate about investing in Africa as we are. Our family extends across 20 countries in sub-Saharan Africa and we nurture some of the most skilled, innovative and creative minds in the industry. Our purpose is to drive Africa’s growth, we are a catalyst for inclusive and sustainable economic growth in the countries we operate and we make life better for our fellow Africans by doing business the right way. We’re more than a bank, we’re a trusted partner who is constantly raising the bar to do better and be better. It’s time to join us, together we can move Africa forward and make progress real for all who call Africa home.
- Review and monitor transactions generated by customers to identify suspicious transactions.
- Profiling of alerts based on reported violation, value of the transaction etc. to isolate high risk alerts;
Ensuring that branches review and close AML alerts generated by both OMNI and MOD systems;
- Conducting quality assurance/ testing on closed alerts;
- Receiving of suspicious transaction reports and conducting a first level review with subsequent escalation to The Compliance Manager Financial Intelligence Unit (South Sudan) and in its absence to the Bank of South Sudan;
- In liaison with business units, conduct bi-annual review of customer categorization to ensure accuracy in categorization and generation of quality alerts;
- In liaison with business units, conduct review of KYC held for high risk accounts (Category A) on an annual basis;
- In liaison with the Compliance Manager, conduct semi-annual review of thresholds for transaction monitoring.
Conduct Anti-Money Laundering / Counter Financing of Terrorist (AML/CTF) Compliance training.
- Compile the annual training plan and submit to the Compliance Manager by 31st December of each calendar year;
- Conduct at least two training sessions for branches per calendar year focusing on Compliance, AML/ CFT;
- Provide monthly update to the Compliance Manager on training sessions held and copies of attendance sheets;
- Provide annual training review report to the Compliance Manager as per the format provided;
- Serve as a central point for reference for information on AML/ CFT measures and practices; and
Cascade changes in AML/ CFT requirements to teams and identify compliance challenges and escalate the same to the Compliance Manager.
Screening of customer names (SDN alerts) in OMNI system
- Review and resolution of real time detection alerts generated by Safewatch monitoring system;
- Review of SDN alerts generated by OMNI system;
- Escalate to the Compliance Manager any true matches generated from the screening for reporting to the Financial Intelligence Unit and in its absence to the Bank of South Sudan;
- Recommend to the Compliance Manager for “whitelisting” of known false matches; and
- Monthly review of “whitelisted” accounts to assess if they still qualify for “whitelisting”.
Compliance monitoring and review:
- Ensure branches complete quarterly Compliance Self Assessments;
- Review of the completed Compliance Self Assessments and escalate any noted gaps; and
- Conduct back testing to ascertain that AML/ CFT controls at branches are working as required
Reporting and record keeping entailing:
- Submission of monitoring reports to the Compliance Manager as required;
- Maintenance of records related to AML/ CFT duties specified above including training records, review reports for back testing, supporting documents used to resolve alerts, legal briefs, and review of contracts as may be assigned thereto etc.
Compliance and AML/CFT Projects
In consultation with Compliance Manager, and in liaison with Compliance Kenya, effect the execution of projects related to Compliance, AML/CFT; and
Keep track of project timelines and submit status report to management for final advise/execution.
Preferred Qualification And Experience
- Undergraduate degree in business; a degree in Law would be preferred added advantage
- Minimum 2 years of experience in the AML/ CFT field in the banking industry; legal knowledge would be preferred added advantage
- Comprehensive understanding of the regulatory and business environment of the banking industry.
- Understanding of business unit needs and ability to translate them into risk management solutions.
- On-going awareness of regulatory requirements related to banking
- Basic skills in preparing legal briefs on new/upcoming legislations /regulations /guidelines
Risk Management: understanding all risks – from the economic to the political – that could affect our global business, and offering guidance to all parts of the bank
To build maintain and manage the end-to-end credit operation for Business Banking (BB) Credit in Kenya incorporating all aspects of the credit life-cycle. Responsible for day-to-day management of Business Banking (BB) Credit processes and people. Delivers a professional service against specific process measures aligned to the credit risk management KRAs, as well as Growth, Value & Advantage strategy for the Business Banking business.
- Key Responsibilities/Accountabilities
- To lead and guide a team responsible for the execution of the standard processes for Originations & Evaluation, Business Banking Account Management, Collateral & BS&R.
- To ensure that laid down policies, procedures are implemented and adhered to.
- Deploy and maintain standard people structures to deliver the approved BB credit strategy and processes.
- Approval of credit within delegated authority.
- To actively participate in Credit risk management committee meetings and watch-list committee meetings and to provide meaningful input into risk appetite discussions, portfolio management and collections strategies as well as detecting and evaluating shifts or changes in key risk parameters and the effects of such changes on portfolios and relationships.
- Deploy capacity planning models to ensure adequate staffing to support growth and ‘business-as-usual operations.’ Where changes to capacity are required to improve adherence to credit policy /improve customer experience / etc, take appropriate action.
- Evaluating credit capabilities within the team and Recruit, retain develop and deploy people with energy passion and the appropriate technical competencies and skills.
- To actively monitor appropriate metrics across the credit life-cycle to ensure that the origination, evaluation, credit risk monitoring and rehabilitation and recoveries functions meet the highest standards in accordance with laid down policies and procedures and to guide and coach the respective teams on the best credit practices.
Understand the full cost of credit for the BB credit function
- Deliver robust, transparent and predictable credit losses within an agreed total cost (‘budget’) and ‘cost of credit’ framework.
- Regularly review process effectiveness and efficiency, and provide feedback to in-country management on a regular basis.
- Responsible for the implementation and adoption (within Branch, Department or Section) of all Compliance, Anti-Money Laundering and Sanctions related requirements contained in policies, procedures and processes. This includes the consideration and approval of PEP on-boarding and continued business engagement in instances where no adverse information is available.
Key Performance Measures
- Deliver portfolio results on key measures (Non-performing loans; pre-NPLs; Credit Loss Ratio)
- Efficient delivery of core credit processes (origination & evaluation - intuitive; BB account & collateral management)
- Deliver key operational efficiency and effectiveness outcomes.
- Clean audits by Internal and External auditors as well as by the Central Bank.
- Key Dimensions of the job
- Responsible for the performance of the Country’s Business Banking Credit “factory.” Performance is measured on both an “input” basis (efficiency) and an “output” basis (effectiveness).
- Planning range – medium-term planning (e.g. 12 months) to deliver the Business Banking Credit operating model, as well as practical short-term tactics to address day-to-day issues within the business.
- Has a multi-functional team of at least 6 direct reports who collectively are responsible for executing all BB Credit functions within the Country.
- Influences and is influenced by multiple stakeholders – local, regional, continental in both the credit function, BB business line, and the Country Head of Credit
Preferred Qualification And Experience
- Relevant Banking/Financial Degree, with a post-graduate qualification an advantage
- 8 - 12 years’ experience, including 2-5 years as a credit operations or portfolio manager in high-volume medium tier corporate credit.
- Working knowledge of core banking systems and ability to use MIS systems based on Microsoft
- Substantial leadership experience across multiple geographies and teams
Thorough conceptual and practical knowledge of credit procedures, policies and standards, as they apply to each situation such as credit applications, obtaining assistance and reporting
- Experience in corporate processes to minimise risk.
- Key Skills
- Knowledge/Technical Skills/Expertise
- Ability to identify and negotiate with key stakeholders to ensure the necessary buy-in and commitment to the success of the operating model.
- Ability to ensure that broader Business Unit and business strategy is taken into account and consensus with all stakeholders is reached on new developments.
- Ability to accurately read situations/the audience and appropriately adapt style in line with business needs.
- Ability to understand in-depth data analysis, trends, forecasts and reporting for use in setting the operational direction for the unit.
- Ability to coach, develop credit capability in country by providing ongoing feedback, appraisal, and counselling.
- The ability to maximise performance of people within the team by appropriate people management skills.
- To identify and manage both key performers as well as to manage poor performance within the team is a gateway competency for this role.
- A thorough knowledge and understanding of credit facilities and loan advances, lending criteria, credit policies, risk and financial analysis, credit control and the application thereof in developing markets.
- Credit analysis and risk management.
- Working knowledge of the banks operating system.
- Portfolio analysis and management.
- Understanding of collateral and Country law and business practices and to apply this knowledge without compromising group standards or policies.
- Understanding of rehabilitation and recoveries and the value extraction advantage of maintaining actual credit to less than expected credit losses.
- “Three C’s of Intuitive Lending” + Scored Lending fundamentals + Account Management Practices + Rehabilitations & Recoveries Practices.
- Accountable for determining the tasks, selecting the resources needed for the successful implementation of business related projects.
- Able to consider all the facts, options and possible outcomes prior to making decisions, or prior to referring options to decision maker(s).
- Quick to act upon potential opportunities and take the initiative within limits of authority.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) / email(s) below to apply on company website.