Reporting To: Branch Leader
Job Location: Any of our Kenya Branches.
Job Opening: 19th March 2021
Application Deadline: Open
About this job
We are looking for competent and motivated Field Officers who can work independently with limited direction to serve as the main point of contact between Tugende and its clients within our areas of operation in Kenya. The role will be based in Kenya with occasional travels to Uganda.
Tugende’s mission is: “Helping people help themselves”. As a Field Officer, you will be responsible for the client`s lease approval process, from the initial class to final lease payment. The field officer's day-to-day responsibilities include conducting Tugende`s field operations e.g vetting, managing collections, and responding to client's needs.
The job holder will be assigned to deliver on the following assignments
1. Client vetting and Management
- Recruit new applicants: Identify capable clients for Tugende leases.
- Register applicants: Meet with applicants to obtain information from them and answer their questions about the application process.
- Vet applicants: Conduct field visits (at applicant’s stage and home) while paired with another Field Officer.
- Analyze the strength of completed applications: Analyze applicants’ financial status, creditworthiness, and outstanding leases to determine applicant qualification.
- Approve/Reject applicants: Evaluate applicant's creditworthiness in line with the existing guidelines.
- Managing lease agreement: Review lease agreements to ensure that they are complete and accurate according to the Tugende Policies. Help deliver Motorcycles to new clients. Ensure that clients understand the key terms and conditions of Tugende, as well as the warranty and maintenance requirements, before handing over the Motorcycles.
2. Manage client needs and portfolio performance
- Collections: Manage a portfolio of clients. Regularly follow up on client repayments (on the phone and in-person), understand any repayment and work challenges, give recommendations, or escalate problem cases where necessary. Ensure client data is accurately captured in the lease management system in a timely manner.
- Customer service: Listen and attend to customer comments and inquiries, give recommendations, or escalate problem cases where necessary.
- Office work: Be able to help with office work including signing contracts with clients, transferring titles for Motorcycles, and processing passenger service vehicle licenses (PSVs).
- Office support: Manage motorcycle traffic outside the office, and coordinate clients during applicant classes.
- Coordinate with local authorities: Engage them as required to facilitate field operations.
Note: This job description gives a general guideline, and therefore does not include an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- Highly self-motivated and able to demonstrate a drive for results with a professional approach from a team.
- Excellent communication, presentation skills, and professionally presentable.
- Exhibit a passion for customers, and provide excellent customer service and empathy for our customers.
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment and willing to work in rural areas in the different regions of Kenya.
- Adopt and champion the values that Tugende stands for Integrity, Empathy, Teamwork, Solutions-Oriented, and Always growing.
- Ability and willingness to learn to ride a motorcycle to conduct fieldwork.
- Computer literate with the ability to comfortably use MS Office and GSuites. Have at least 35 Words Per Minute.
- High level of professionalism and integrity, with good moral character.
- Ability to work under minimum supervision with resilience and a ‘can do’ attitude.
- Fluent in Kiswahili and at least 2 key local languages of Kenya.
Preferred Qualification and Experience:
- A minimum of a diploma in a business-related field from a recognized institution of learning.
- One to Two years’ field-based experience working with an institution or organization such as a microfinance or business credit-related business.
- Motorcycle riding ability is an added advantage and gaining this proficiency will be a requirement once on the job
- Possession of a valid riding permit is an added advantage.
What will you gain?
Career Trajectory: This is a role with significant leadership potential to grow as the company operations grow. Someone who does this job can be promoted to; Senior Customer Relations Officer, Customer Relations Team Leader, Customer Relations Coordinator, Deputy Branch Leader, Junior Branch Leader, Branch Leader, Senior Branch Leader, with a possibility of crossing to other operations and other departments’ functions.
Meaningful Work: Tugende’s work gives entrepreneurs the opportunity to earn a better living for themselves and their families. We are changing East Africa’s asset-finance industry by building a sustainable business that ignites financial development. Join this movement!
Great Team: Tugende has a smart, fun, and growing team of ~500 employees. We take our work seriously, but love to joke and have fun. We regularly have fully-paid, voluntary team outings, as well as fun parties for our customers. Our headquarters are in Kampala, Uganda and we are rapidly expanding in East Africa.
Hours and compensation: This position is for an ambitious, full-time employee who will take on additional responsibilities and projects as they arise. Tugende offers competitive salaries and benefits that reflect a person’s contributions to the company’s mission and growth.