The Pharo Foundation was established in 2011 driven by our passion to tap into Africa’s potential to create thriving economies. Since establishment, we have made positive contribution to over 500,000 people through our integrated development projects anchored on our strategic objectives.
Read more about this company
The Foundation is seeking to recruit a dynamic, proactive, passionate and results-oriented Communications Manager who will have the overall responsibility for leading the development and implementation of the Foundation’s communication strategy, the strengthening of internal and external communications platforms, ensuring that the positive and empowering opportunities that are delivered through the Foundation’s integrated programmes are documented and communicated in ways that engage both internal and external stakeholders.
The role holder will ensure that the Foundation responds effectively to new and innovative social and virtual media channels by supporting initiatives to engage the public and relevant stakeholders. S/he will work alongside other colleagues across the Foundation to articulate and bring to life what we do in a simple, consistent and compelling way and thereby help build the Foundation’s brand reputation.
There will be a travel component to this position and the opportunity to visit and work with our integrated programmes across East Africa.
Role: Communications Manager (Nairobi, Kenya).
Reporting to: Chief Executive Officer.
Functional Relationships: Country Representatives (Ethiopia, Somaliland and Rwanda), Director of Education (Nairobi), Heads of Programmes, Head of HR (Nairobi), and CEO-Social Ventures, (Nairobi) and Office Managers.
Direct Report: Communications Officer(s).
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop the Foundation’s Internal Communication Strategy
- Oversee the development of design, content and production of all organisational communications and publication materials, including internal newsletters, talking points, reports, speeches, web materials, and videos.
- Working with the HR Department, develop professional and robust internal communications that engage all employees and support the Foundation’s culture building initiatives.
- Design an impactful internal communication strategy that will guide country programme teams in determining the most impactful communication channels to be used for their chosen stakeholders. (E.g. media briefs, websites and social media, interviews, offsite visits, special events.)
- Develop and implement project-based messages that keep employees regularly informed about ongoing projects and initiatives across the Foundation. Track events, campaigns and prepare post-campaign performance analysis.
- Build an in-house communication system that will track and record the growth of the Foundation and its successes over the years: Our history in the making.
- Develop the Foundation’s External Communications Strategy
- Jointly with the CEO, create an external communications strategy and implementation plan that manages and enhances the Foundation’s image and enables the Foundation’s leadership to cultivate meaningful relationships with targeted external audiences.
- Support the CEO, leadership teams and other programme staff as appropriate in stakeholder mapping and relevant government engagements.
- Produce high quality briefings, presentations, and other materials as needed for senior external stakeholders.
- Lead key information gathering - such as conducting stakeholder interviews and collecting stakeholder testimonials - and present results to position the Foundation as an influential partner with public and private sector stakeholders.
- Develop success stories and disseminate them through the different media platforms such as the Foundation’s website, social media, and newsletters and through the print media.
- Social Media Communications
- Develop and implement the Foundation’s social media strategy, objectives and KPI’s.
- Manage the Foundation’s external-facing media, including the website, and make recommendations for optimal set up and strategic utilisation of other social media channels such LinkedIn, Twitter and Instagram.
- Develop the social media budget and oversee its delivery and utilisation across the countries of operation.
- Public Relations
- Conduct regular stakeholder forums to retain the Foundation’s public image and effectively manage media relations.
- Develop a media strategy, drafting press releases, responding to media enquiries, and building dialogue with relevant media houses.
- As needed, develop and manage print, radio, and TV media campaigns to increase the Foundation’s visibility.
- Shared Learning
- Scan the East African media landscape for opportunities and relevant events the Foundation should engage in, and work with colleagues to organise roundtables and other events to share our experiences and learn from others.
- Represent the Foundation, on occasion, externally in meetings with public and private sector stakeholders as well as conferences where appropriate.
- Support the Agriculture, Education, Health and Water teams to develop and disseminate key messages on all implemented programmes.
- Master’s degree in Communications, Business, International Relations, Media and, Journalism, or related field.
- At least a minimum of 8 years’ experience in strategic communications, marketing, media, public relations and brand management.
- Ability to communicate with confidence, clarity, conviction and enthusiasm, translating ideas, issues and observations into compelling messages.
- A certified member of a recognised public relations society or any other relevant professional body.
- Experience in aligning social media into strategic communication planning including creating and managing website content.
- Extensive experience in an internal or external communications role in East Africa – either in a private or public sector context.
- Good understanding of the development sector in East Africa and with experience in engaging and influencing diverse stakeholders.
- Ability to build trusted, sustainable and collaborative relationships – seen as a highly trusted technical resource for advice and guidance in strategic communications.
- In-depth knowledge and experience of content management systems - preferably WordPress - and strong understanding and experience of Adobe InDesign and Photoshop desirable.
- Excellent publication skills that include proofreading, copyediting, and knowledge of design / layout and strong visual skills.
- Good understanding of international safeguarding principles, practices and standards- with the ability to incorporate these in internal and external communications plans and monitor compliance.
- Self-assured, internally motivated and passionate individual driven to succeed and make a difference.
- Strong team player who also excels at working autonomously.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with individuals from all kinds of backgrounds. Very strong attention to detail, with a meticulous approach.
- Excellent written and verbal communication in English.
- A creative and curious mind-set with an active interest in continuous learning, personal and professional growth.
- Commitment to a high standard of professional performance, integrity, and maturity to remain accountable for results.
- Problem solving and creative thinking skills with the ability to get results in sometimes-unstructured environments.
go to method of application »
The Foundation’s ambition is to grow as a significant employer in East Africa. The HR Manager will be at the forefront of implementing the human resources strategy in collaboration with the Head of Human Resources in Nairobi.
The role holder should be passionate about bringing impactful change using their HR experience and have a ‘hands on’ approach to working in an International organisation. The role holder will truly be inspired by the opportunity to build HR processes from the ground up and is motivated to help build a world class Human Resources function in Kenya.
The role presents a wonderful opportunity for a genuinely driven, curious and passionate individual who desires to affect real change; a confident individual who takes a dynamic, innovative and forward-thinking approach to their work and who respects and understands local cultures and values and yet embraces and can work within international work ethics and standards.
Role: Human Resources Manager (Nairobi)
Reporting to: Head of HR (Nairobi)
Functional Relationships: CEO-Social Ventures, (Nairobi), Director of Education (Nairobi), CFO (Nairobi), Finance Manager (London), Office and HR Manager (London), Office Manager (Nairobi).
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Strategic HR Management
- Drive HR change initiatives that will help infuse the Vision, Mission and Values of the Foundation and create the culture that derives from these principles.
- Working closely with the Head of HR (Kenya), the HR Manager will - develop and implement an employee centred approach that will enable the Foundation to attract, retain and create a strong brand that will position the Foundation as an employer of choice in Kenya.
- Implement consistent HR processes and create mechanisms and internal checks to ensure that they are aligned and fully understood by employees.
- Execute engagement strategies to ensure employees are passionate, invested and motivated by their work and in the Foundation.
- Collaborate with line managers in the development of staffing and recruitment plans, ensuring that each team is staffed appropriately according to the need and budget, in an efficient and timely manner.
- Work closely with the Head of HR to develop a competitive recruitment strategy to attract and retain the best talent, both local and diaspora in Kenya; incorporating diversity in all new hires.
- Create a recruitment dashboard that demonstrates how the Foundation is performing against its hiring goals and ensure that the management team is kept regularly informed about departmental recruitment plans.
- Learning and Development
- Identify the training needs of employees and ensure processes are in place to support and encourage appropriate personal and professional development of staff within the context of the Foundation’s objectives.
- Collaborate with line managers in establishing the skill gaps within the relevant departments and facilitate training needs analysis and the execution of mitigation initiatives.
- Oversee the delivery of training programmes with other HR colleagues across the Foundation.
- Ensure that training records are documented appropriately and stored.
- Performance Management
- In collaboration with line managers, review, develop and implement efficient performance management processes.
- Ensure all employees have regular performance appraisals and work with line managers making sure that the outcome of these processes are robust and well documented as per the Foundation’s policies.
- Implement a performance driven culture that rewards exceptional performance.
- In collaboration with the Head of HR, communicate the positive benefits of performance management to employees, as well as provide consistent, data-driven updates to management.
- Talent management
- Working with line managers, implement best practice talent policies to promote the engagement and empowerment of individuals and teams to create a positive and effective work environment.
- Build talent pipelines and create career development programmes such as coaching and mentorship, which would be implemented across the Foundation.
- Develop retention strategies and all other aspects required to promote employee satisfaction, team harmony and ensure exceptional overall performance.
- Compensation Management
- Ensure a competitive market-related compensation and benefits framework is maintained; developing specific programmes to attract and retain high performing talent.
- Working with the Head of HR, ensure periodic market salary reviews and analysis are conducted, and make appropriate recommendations for annual reviews.
- Develop, review and implement employee wellness programmes in consultation with the Head of HR and the management team.
- Possess a HR related Bachelors’ degree with a postgraduate HR qualification and/or membership of a professional HR association- CIPD, CHRA, SHRM.
- A minimum of six (6) years professional experience; three (3) of these must have been in senior management roles.
- Prior experience in working with multinational organisations or subsidiaries is a distinct advantage but as a minimum, each candidate must be able to demonstrate strong HR leadership in fast-growing organisations.
- An excellent communicator in written and spoken English.
- Deep understanding of Kenya labour laws, standards and legal requirements.
- Good understanding of HR data metrics and the ability to present these to the senior management to aid in decision-making.
- Strong and charismatic HR professional with a solid pedigree and experience of setting up centres of excellence within a HR function.
- Superb management skills: able to manage and motivate a wide variety of employees from diverse backgrounds in a professional and compelling manner.
- Respect and understands the local culture and values and yet embraces and can work within international work ethics and standards.
- Problem solving and creative thinking skills: the ability to get results in unstructured environments, solid record of accomplishment for growing businesses and implementing best practice policies and processes.
- Self-assured, internally motivated and passionate individual with outstanding communication skills driven to succeed and make a difference.
- Must possess high levels of integrity, resilience, accountability, commitment and determination.
Method of Application
Please send the information listed below, as a single PDF file, to the following email address:
For Human Resource Manager Role:
Please indicate position Application for Human Resources Manager- Kenya in the subject line
- A detailed CV and Covering Letter,
- A 1,000-word essay that includes the following:
- What HR experience have you gained that indicates you are the most qualified candidate for the role?
- What challenges do you foresee/anticipate in building best in class human resources centres of excellence (talent management, learning & development, and compensation)?
- What steps will you take to successfully resolve these?
- A one-page list of five references with current addresses, phone numbers, and email contacts
For Communication Manager:
- A detailed CV and Cover Letter.
- The Foundation has made a strategic shift to directly design and implement its own programmes to ensure greater engagement with communities, better results and increased accountability.
- Using your experience in strategic communications and report writing, please submit a 1,000 word essay of how you would articulate this strategy to both internal and external stakeholders in a succinct and compelling manner.
- A one-page list of five references with current addresses, phone numbers, and email contacts.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted due to the expected high volume of applicants.
Note: Never pay for any training, certificate, assessment, or testing to the recruiter.