If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
At Dynamic People Consulting (DPC)
, we offer a proactive response to the constantly evolving human resource market. Because your organization is unique, we take the time to learn your business, listen to your needs and then offer a strategic approach that is tailor made to suit your needs.
Background: The Government of Denmark and Kenya in 2015, signed a development agreement for the implementation of the Kenya Country Programme.
This is a 5-year programme that will be implemented through various National and County Government’s line ministries and select Civil Society Organizations.
Each of the implementing organizations has signed Development Engagement Documents and Bilateral agreement with the Government of Denmark through the Royal Danish Embassy in Nairobi.
The Water Sector Trust Fund (WSTF) is one such organization working with DANIDA under the Green Growth and Employment Programme.
WSTF is a Kenyan public institution established under the Water Act of 2002 with a mandate to assist in financing the provision of water services to areas of Kenya, which are without adequate services. WSTF operates under the newly formed Ministry of Water and Irrigation.
The key goal of the organization, according to the WSTF Strategic Plan is ‘assured water resources availability and accessibility of water and sanitation to the underserved areas in the country”.
Danida’s support to WSTF aims at addressing provision of water and sanitation services and management of water resources in the poorest and most underserved ASAL counties of Kenya.
These services are key aspects in addressing poverty reduction, inclusive green growth, rights and sustainable management of natural resources in the ASALs.
The engagement is in line with key objectives of the Strategy for Danish development cooperation ‘The Right to a better life’.
Objectives for the position: The overall objective is to contribute to the improvement of financial management and administration of development programmes in WSTF, ensuring that financial management becomes more effective, efficient, and transparent and of good quality.
The consultant will also contribute to improving the flow of financial information between WSTF, the Government of Kenya and the development partners.
The specific objective is to ensure that WSTF develops and implements a realistic, credible and achievable Action Plan to strengthen its financial management system and users’ capacity.
The ultimate aim is to support the transfer of skills in financial management to relevant WSTF staff responsible for financial management and administration.
Reporting: Whilst working closely with the Chief Manager Finance and Chief Manager Investments, the Financial Management Advisor will support activities relating to Budget planning, management and reporting.
The Financial Management Advisor will however report directly to the Chief Manager Finance.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the Finance and Administration Unit in reviewing the existing internal systems and processes and develop improved processes to ensure that the overall financial management system is strengthened and robust.
- Support in identifying needs in the following aspects of financial management: (i) systems and procedures; (ii) systems of internal audit and control, and (iii) capacity gaps of finance and administration staff;
- Facilitate in developing and implementing an Action Plan for the improvement of financial management systems and procedures and capacity building within the ;
- Reviewing the financial management flows between development partners, Government of Kenya, state cooperation and implementing organizations and communities;
- Support in the training/ capacity building of finance and administration staff on best practices, use of systems and procedures, reporting, assets management among others;
- Design of an effective system for financial monitoring for use at national and county levels;
- Support in strengthening mechanisms that ensure accountability for the use of development funds;
- Participate in the development of a system for monitoring the implementation and follow up of external audit recommendations.
- Support in the design of mechanisms to ensure the improvement of the financial systems for internal control of funds and to ensure the correct and effective use of funds;
- Support in the design, update and harmonization of the templates and formats for financial reporting and tracking of funds so that that they can meet the specific needs of the Government and development partners;
- Support the finance team in:
- Preparing the organization’s annual budget
- Preparing monthly, quarterly and annual financial accountability statements for the CEO
- Oversee and guarantee compliance with financial covenants such as submitting quarterly Interim Unaudited Financial Reports (IFRs), arrange for timely financial information for internal audits and supporting the maintenance of internal controls over project expenditure.
- Support in updating financial management manual, establishing chart of accounts and ensuring the FMIS systems installed by WSTF is able to carry out activities in accordance with the agreed procedures and provisions of donor funded Grant Agreement, and the national laws and regulations.
- Support in compliance to Procurement Act and other relevant legislations;
- Support in improvement of systems for assets inventory and management;
- Proving annual reports on the state of the financial management systems and on the progress in the implementation of the agreed work plans and budgets.
Qualification and Professional Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in the area of Economics, Accounting, Financial Management, Business Administration or other similar areas;
- Candidates with CPA(K) or ACCA qualifications are also encouraged to apply
- Minimum of 10 years of professional experience relevant to the position, experience in Kenya is an added advantage;
- Must demonstrate experience working with donor funded programmes at senior management level for over 10 years.
- Experience in internal and external financial oversight and auditing of the public sector in Kenya is required.
- Must be familiar with the Office of the Auditor General (OFAG) and knowledgeable of public sector auditing processes.
- Candidates who have worked in both the public sector and private consultancy sector have an added advantage.
- Ideal candidate must have strong influential networks in the public sector.
Have Skills in the following areas:
- Financial planning and funds management;
- Financial Information management;
- Execution of Audits and follow up of audit recommendations;
- Internal and external monitoring of development funds;
- Must possess solid understanding of the financial procedures and regulations, procurement regulations and decentralized management systems of the Government of Kenya;
- Use of Integrated financial management systems and other accounting programs, e.g. SAP, NAVISION etc
- Good Public and personal relations with teams and partners;
- Dialogue, facilitation and negotiation capacity;
- Finance and administration systems use and analysis; and
- Ability to work without supervision and be results-oriented.
Method of Application
If you possess the necessary qualifications and experience for this position, please apply for the vacancy by emailing us on email@example.com before 24th July 2017 by 5:00p.m.
Only qualified candidates will be contacted