If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
HCS Africa is a Nairobi (Kenya) based, human resources professional services provider with Human Resources (HR) partners in various countries in Africa including Ghana, Rwanda, Uganda, Nigeria and Ethiopia. HCS Africa’s primary target market includes small and medium entrepreneurs and non-governmental organizations spanning the African continent. Its other target markets include large entrepreneurs, government departments, parastatals and multinationals who we will service jointly through our local, regional and global strategic preferred partners and alliances.
The Internal Audit Manager will be in charge of ensuring an independent systematic, disciplined approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of policies, procedures and standards designed to add value and improve operations.
Also, the incumbent will be responsible for providing reasonable assurance that compliance with donor requirements, internal control, corporate governance and risk management systems are functioning as intended.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Governance / Board Support: Provide support to the Board in offering effective oversight in the governance of in order to ensure systematic functioning of the organization:
- Schedule, prepare and avail accurate and timely reports, minutes and other documents for Board Audit Committee meetings
- Conduct periodic awareness/training sessions to sensitize senior management, staff on their roles in implementation of policy and risk management, promoting an internal audit culture across the organization.
- Regularly provide senior management and the board with an opinion on the adequacy, effectiveness and efficiency of the internal controls in the organization
- Regularly report to the Board on significant areas of non-compliance to organizational policy or internal controls
- Actively monitor and provide feedback to senior management and the board as appropriate on the timely implementation of management or board recommendations of fraud prevention measures.
- Carry out reviews to ascertain that a conflict of interest policy exists.
- Regular review the conflict of interest policy to ascertain its adequacy and also assess the compliance
- Review of Organisational Policies: Keenly assess system gaps to inform development of new policies and review of the existing ones
- In charge of developing Internal Audit departmental policies and procedures
- Offer timely support to management team in the development and review of departmental policies and procedures for all organization’s functions.
- Ensure that all organization’s policies and procedures are adequately approved and ratified senior management and the Board as appropriate.
- The incumbent will send periodic updates to senior management and the Board on the update on the status of all department policies and procedures.
- Risk Management: Identify and effectively manage organizational risks in order to maximise achievement of organizational objectives
- Manage the process of identifying organization key risk areas including identification of emerging risks
- Oversee the process of conducting annual organization-wide risk assessments to measure the likelihood and impact of identified risks, i.e. developing parameters, methods, and tools for evaluating, categorizing, and prioritizing risks- likelihood, risk consequence, and thresholds to trigger management action.
- Assist in the development of the organization’s risk mitigation strategy/ plan, proposing appropriate controls including the scope of management and other individual accountability and a monitoring plan, to ensure the implementation of the strategy/ plan.
- Responsible for preparing and submitting quarterly reports to the Board on risk management issues including the risk register and on emerging risks.
- Send quarterly updates to senior management on the implementation of organizational risk management strategy/ plan.
- Sub Grants Support: Ensure that funds advanced to all sub grantees are utilised efficiently and that there is value for money and accountability is provided for all funds advanced.
- Technically support the development and improvement of guidelines for the management of sub grant activities
- Support sensitization/training of sub grantees on the organization sub grant management guidelines, clearly explaining to them the standards of accountability expected of them.
- Responsible for developing and implementing plans for follow up of sub grantee audit report actions.
- In charge of the regular review and evaluate the adequacy of accountabilities presented by sub grantees.
- Send regular reports on activity areas that require improvement in terms of accountability for funds
- Confirm that the planned activities (service delivery, procurement, distribution, storage, infrastructural improvements, etc) are carried out efficiently and effectively confirming that there was value for money
- Identify gaps and weakness faced in the implementation of the sub grant activities by sub grantees
- Make recommendations to improve or address the gaps identified and follow up these to ensure audit actions are being implemented.
- Auditing Activities: Ensure that internal audits are effectively carried out and audit recommendations are implemented for improved compliance and efficiency:
- Develop risk-based annual audit plans detailing the scope, nature and timing of the audit activities at the organization and other offsite auditees.
- Develop audit programs for audit assignments ensuring that all priority issues have been addressed
- Carry out internal audit tests in the audit program to assess compliance to the organization policies and procedures, documenting the results of each test
- Discuss interim audit findings with auditees for clarity and ownership.
- Write audit reports documenting areas of non-compliance
- Send audit reports to the ED or board as appropriate, for action
- Actively monitor and provide feedback to senior management and the Board, as appropriate on the timely implementation of management or Board recommendations following audit reports.
- Budget Management: oversee the department budget ensuring efficient usage and high standards of accountability.
- Oversee the development and management of the department budget to ensure availability of funds for planned Internal Audit activities
- Ensure that funds advanced to staff under supervision are accounted for in timely manner
- Ensure the efficient and frugal management of department of departmental budget.
- Receive periodic Internal Audit financial statements and budget updates from Finance department; taking appropriate corrective action in case of any variance from what has been planned
- Regularly review expense requests, aligning them to budget lines before giving approval
- Work closely with procurement function to contract for goods and services
- Ensure that Internal Audit financial information required by the organization is provided on time and to standard; ensuring that requirements for the allocation of resources are adhered to by all staff in the Internal Audit team at all times.
- Management and Coordination of Team Activities: Lead the Internal Audit team in a manner that empowers them to deliver excellent service and high standards:
- Regularly communicate to the Internal Audit team the organization vision and for the role of Internal Audit in assisting the achievement of that vision
- Set department targets for staff in the department as a basis for measuring performance during appraisal
- Carry out timely staff appraisal against set targets and identify areas of improvement
- In charge of monitoring and reviewing performance, in particular holding staff accountable for meeting success criteria and delivering any improvement goals which have been identified; taking decisive action against poor performance.
- Ensure that records held by the department like audit reports, copies of appraisal forms etc are well kept
- Ensure that staff are adequately trained and developed for their roles e.g. by analyzing staff training needs, organizing the delivery of training or coaching, coordinating the sharing of experience
- Organize regular departmental staff meetings to ensure proper and open communication of departmental plans and feedback from team members
Required Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Master’s degree in relevant area such as Commerce, Finance or Accounting;
- Must be a Certified Public Accountant of Kenya CPA (K) or Association of Chartered Certified Accountants of the United Kingdom (ACCA); and a member of a recognized accounting and audit professional body;
- Minimum of three (3) years of managerial experience;
- Proficient in Microsoft NAV dynamics software.
- minimum of five years of Internal Audit experience in a reputable organization
- Detailed knowledge of audit procedures, including planning, techniques, test and sampling methods
- Working knowledge of computerized accounting and auditing systems
- Good Leadership skills
- Good report writing skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills – tactful in dealing with people
- Excellent analytical skills
- Good negotiation skills
- Ability to work under pressure;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Computer literacy i.e. Proficiency in various Microsoft office packages and working knowledge of English
go to method of application »
Our Client in the NGO sector is sourcing for a Front Office Admin who will provide efficient receptionist services for the Secretariat and also provides administration services from the front desk.
Reports to: HR Assistant
Duration: 3 year term
- Administrative Support
- Handling incoming and outgoing telephone calls and deliveries.
- Assists staff in using telephones by setting up passwords and voice mail.
- Receiving visitors at front desk and directs them as appropriate.
- Assists in typing of correspondence for various staff including visa letters and other letters as may be requested
- Assisting in the recruitment process such as preparing interview schedules and calling candidates.
- Delivery, receipt and distribution of mail from courier services.
- Translations—English/French for French speaking callers and visitors
- Assisting in preparation of documentation for various meetings as requested.
- Supporting institutional events and HR& administration driven initiatives. Staff parties, staff engagement activities etc
- Secondary responsibility: Undertake any other duties as may be directed by the HR Unit and other departments within the organization.
- Bachelors Degree in Business Administration or equivalent
- Diploma of proficiency in French an advantage
- At least 2 years relevant experience
Key Skills & Competencies
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Mature candidate.
- Excellent customer service skills and telephone etiquette
- Familiarity in modern office communications systems
- Good team player
- Well organized
- Proficiency in standard office computer applications and databases such as; MS Office Word, Excel,
- PowerPoint and Internet
- Ability to work in French as well as English
- The ideal candidate should have strong Administration skills and the ability to multitask.
- Additionally their French skills should be Basic/Intermediate level.
Main Internal Contacts
- HR & Administration Manager
- Office Assistant/Driver
- All staff
- Main External Contacts
- Visitors to the Secretariat
- Callers – local and international
Method of Application
Applicants who meet the requirements stated above should send their applications and detailed CVs with a day - time telephone number to the email address: email@example.com with position title on the Subject line.