Reports to: Head of Corporate and Strategic Finance.
Location: Kampala / Nairobi
Application opening: March 20th, 2021
Application deadline: April 18th, 2021
About this role
Tugende’s ongoing rapid growth requires intensive capital raising as well as a strong finance department to support financial reporting, internal analysis, and investor relations. Tugende is currently increasing its capabilities by building a Corporate Finance team to undertake financial analysis and research, lead fundraising, and help provide sound portfolio management. The candidate will support the Head of the department to drive strategic and tactical decision-making processes at Tugende, supported by data, information, and reports.
The key functions for this Associate-level position will mainly include;
- Generating and managing regular financial and social impact reports for existing and potential investors.
- Analysis of financial, credit, and social impact data to support Tugende’s strategic decision-making.
- Presenting a consistent investor value proposition to Tugende’s investment community.
- Research and analysis of relevant market trends and financial conditions.
- Managing, monitoring, and presenting a relevant summary of investor feedback regarding Tugende’s performance to the Senior Management Team.
The Tugende Corporate Finance Associate will be required to perform the following tasks:
- Support the head of the department in monitoring and evaluating the organization’s short and long-term sources of funds;
- Assess and monitor project funding requirements/forecasts in line with Tugende’s strategic plans;
- Prepare prospectuses for fundraising (capital and debt);
- Prepare for investor due diligence reviews;
- Coordinate between all parties to ensure adherence to timely fundraising processes.
- Monitoring of markets and macro-financial environment;
- Support the development of Tugende’s long term financial planning strategies, modeling, and monitoring;
- Execution of strategy to deliver returns to equity investors.
- Undertake financial modeling and analysis relating to financing and investing activities;
- Provide investment tactics and recommendations;
- Forecast Tugende adherence to lender covenants;
- Support other departments (operations, special projects) with analysis, research, and the information requested for their projects, reports, and presentations;
- Create communication materials for presentations to the board and investors.
- Manage investor targeting and tracking systems;
- Produce reports for existing and future lenders, equity investors, and board;
- Assist in preparations for all the roadshows and investor conferences both domestically and internationally;
- Coordinate onsite and offsite due diligence with investors, including information requests and logistics;
- Provide regular feedback to management and other stakeholders on news relevant to Tugende, their concerns, and investment criteria.
- Work closely with the financial operations and accounting team to share knowledge and build skills across finance functions.
Note: This job description gives a general guideline, and therefore does not include an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications including Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft PowerPoint.
- An excellent communicator, passionate educator, and strong financial analysis.
- Prior financial forecasting and reporting experience.
- Superior skills with Microsoft Office applications (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook).
- Financial modeling experience and understanding of financial statements.
Personal Attributes and Abilities:
- Highly organized and process-driven
- Ability to communicate and engage externally to represent Tugende and generate investor interest.
- Ability to partner closely with internal and external stakeholders, providing a dependable presence to move forward complex projects and ideas.
Soft skills that align with Tugende core values
The preferred candidate must be willing and ready to embrace our shared values at Tugende as a whole:
- We operate with empathy and understanding for everyone (Including; Coach and cheerleader, Dignity, highly approachable, and Exceptional customer experience; prioritize the customer’s experience).
- We are solutions-oriented (Including; Courage, Being proactive, Operational excellence, and Follow-through and ownership).
- We are always growing (Including; Learning, Innovating, and striving to improve, Meritocracy; provides opportunities based on merit).
- We have integrity in all decisions (Including; Fair / honest, Good judgment, Critical thinking).
- We work as a team (Including; being Humble, Dependable, and Supportive).
Education/ Qualification and Work Experience:
- A Bachelor's degree in Finance, Accounting, Statistics, Economics, Business Administration, or other relevant fields.
- At least two (2) years experience in the investment banking or corporate finance environment.
- Strong financial modeling background and the ability to balance analytical modeling and problem solving with conceptual design, communication and presentation.
- Professionalism: Maintains professionalism when corresponding with partners/investors. In addition, being Empathetic and personable when dealing with Tugende stakeholders.
- Positive Attitude: main a mindset of “getting things done” and finding satisfaction in developing sustainable long-term solutions at all times.
- Flexible and resilient: Willingness to travel, flexible in schedule and work hours, seek direct feedback and see every challenge as opportunity to grow.
What will you gain?
Career Trajectory: This is a junior role with significant potential to progress as the company and Corporate Finance function develop. The person in this role should expect to grow with the team and take on increasing responsibilities.
Learning Points: In this position, you will be able to learn how to excel in a fast-paced, data-driven environment. You will learn or build upon your existing knowledge in financial modeling, financial reporting, investor pitching, financial markets research, and communication tailored to specific audiences (e.g. debt vs equity investors). You will also get to build a network of investment and corporate finance professionals and earn the trust to represent the company at events, including international travel.
Meaningful Work: Tugende’s work gives entrepreneurs the tools to earn a living for themselves and their families. We are helping people take control of their economic future and move up the economic ladder. Help be part of this movement!
Great Team: Tugende has a smart, fun, and growing team of 500+ Employees. We take our work seriously but love to joke and have fun. We regularly have fully-paid, voluntary team outings, as well as fun parties for our staff. Our headquarters are in Kampala and we are growing our presence across East Africa.
Hours and compensation: This position is for an ambitious, full-time employee who will take on additional responsibilities and projects as they arise. Tugende offers competitive salaries and benefits that reflect a person’s contributions to the company’s mission and growth.