We are looking for a progressive leader within the tea industry to design and implement a Global Tea strategy and plan supporting growth across global tea markets and maximising positive change and impact for Fairtrade Tea farmers and workers worldwide.
You’ll be committed to Fairtrade and development issues and be comfortable with public speaking. You will be skilled in talking to, and influencing, the brand owners and retailers who we work with to drive tea producer impact.
Reports to: Fairtrade Africa and Network of Asia and Pacific Producers (Dual Line management: CEO, Producer Network and Head of Supply Chain & Programme Management, FTF UK)
Staff Reporting: n/a
Location: Kenya, India, or Sri Lanka
Salary: Competitive salary and benefits
Contract/Hours: 40 hours per week, 24 months fixed-term full time
The Role Profile
The key objective is to work in partnership with stakeholders within Fairtrade and with external partners to design and implement a progressive Global Tea strategy and plan. The post also leads and supports the various Fairtrade System colleagues with responsibly for tea markets. An important objective is to give shape and manage a range of projects and work streams, and related plans, in the scope of the Fairtrade Tea strategy and global operations to ensure growth of markets and to maximize the impact of Fairtrade on Tea farmers and workers worldwide. The post holder will liaise with Fairtrade market-facing and producer-facing organizations, Fairtrade International and FLOCERT staff, and in general with Fairtrade stakeholders and the Tea sector at large. Finally, the role is to act as a global resource for information on Fairtrade Tea.
- Lead the development and implementation of a global Tea strategy that seeks to grow the Fairtrade tea market and supports tea farmers and workers to respond to key challenges.
- Providing strategic and technical expertise based on evidence and analysis of producer and production reality, pricing mechanisms, social and environmental trends, and understanding of wider competitive landscape and conventional trading practices amongst others.
- Cultivate and disseminate in-depth understanding of the current, future and historical context of tea operations (conventional and organic, across different production methods and origins), and the Fairtrade tea market.
- Provide product specific guidance and information on short term supply and demand, and long-term projections to relevant stakeholders
- Integrate thematic programs and polices into the strategic plan for Tea and co-lead on the implementation of these.
- Develop projects together with the Producer Network teams with global/national scope that benefit Tea producers in their ability to run their business (e.g. price-risk management, farm improvement, climate change adaptation, income resilience, elimination of child labour, gender equity).
- Identify and liaise with relevant industry stakeholders and funding bodies to take ambitions and projects forward.
- Lead and coordinate across the system the development of the annual global work plan and budget including supporting the Global Tea team within a matrix cross-system global team.
- Work collaboratively with Fairtrade senior stakeholders and all colleagues from the system as part of a virtual team.
- Working closely with Tea farmers and workers and producers networks to optimize operations at all times.
- Coordinate the global commercial strategy for tea market partners, and provide commercial expertise and on request from members, provide services to selected global Tea accounts including contributing to a targeted strategy for global accounts.
- Provide Supply Chain Expertise - Support the identification and management of opportunities/ threats for supply (related to surplus, shortages or quality issues) and demand (new business opportunities in markets or certain segments),
- Look to develop innovative and pragmatic solutions that drive impact for tea farmers and workers and meet commercial partner needs
- Act as point of first reference for all global tea product related enquiries.
- Review of sector trends and information and disseminate relevant information to Fairtrade markets and Producers Networks.
- Contribute to thematic working groups across the Fairtrade system and support implementation by the Producer Networks.
- Manage the representation of Fairtrade system at relevant conferences, fairs, working groups and industry events.
- Ensure appropriate communication to Fairtrade market-facing and producer facing-organizations and Fairtrade International and FLOCERT staff.
- Working with relevant data teams to manage system wide data collection and ensuring data across the system is consistent and accurate.
- Supporting the development of impact communications and supply chain transparency.
Experience & Competency
- Any degree requirements in business or agricultural related field
- Relevant supply market experience of Tea Market
- Experience working with Fairtrade Tea supply chains or with related standards, certification or development programme
- Experience in supply and portfolio strategy development and implementation
- Experience in leading and managing cross-functional and cross-cultural teams and groups
- Experience in working in a virtual team and regional/global scope
- Experience in change management projects
- Excellent communication and relationship management skills
- Experience of managing and successfully delivering projects gained in a complex matrix organisational structure both as a project lead and project member
- Proven track record of accountability, and result and solution orientation
- Experience of working in a multicultural environment
- Experience of balancing different stakeholder interests
Knowledge/ Technical Skills
- In depth product knowledge in Tea industry: context, history, production and trade analytical skills
- Demonstrated understanding of commercial needs and expectations, as well as of the key thematic and market challenges facing the tea sector
- Knowledge/understanding of formulation of Government policies for marketing, distribution, utilisation and production of cash crops
- Knowledge of procurement in international environment in Strategic Sourcing and Tea Business
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, including conflict and facilitating resolution skills
- Ability to work both as part of teams and independently
- Demonstrated ability to drive forward work on own initiative and lead
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and enthuse others
- Fluent English is essential
- Clear and demonstrated desire to improve the lives of Tea farmers and workers
- Motivation for Fairtrade
- Knowledge of and commitment to Fairtrade, our values and development issues
- Be an ambassador for the organisation
At Fairtrade we are committed to the safeguarding and protection of children & vulnerable adults in our work. We will do everything possible to ensure that only those who are suitable to work within this environment are recruited to work for us
If you are interested in this opportunity, please forward your CV and a one-page covering letter to [email protected] setting out why you believe you have the right skills and experience to make this role a success.
At Fairtrade we are committed to the safeguarding and protection of children & vulnerable adults in our work. We will do everything possible to ensure that only those who are suitable to work within this environment are recruited to work for us. Therefore, for this specific role a criminal records check will be needed as part of an offer of employment.
Fairtrade is an equal opportunities employer, offers flexible working and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
We particularly welcome applications from candidates with ethnically diverse backgrounds, LGBTQ+ candidates and from candidates with disabilities, because we would like to increase the representation of these groups at this level. We want to do this because we know greater diversity will lead to greater results for producers and farmers around the world.
Interested and qualified? Go to Fairtrade International on www.linkedin.com