Islamic Relief Worldwide is an international humanitarian organisation that provides development programs and humanitarian relief around the globe, regardless of race, political affiliation, gender or belief.
Read more about this company
REPORTING TO: Regional Director- East Africa
LINE MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITIES: Matrix Management of Lead Persons in Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan and Sudan
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: One year renewable, full time
Reporting to the Regional Director, the jobholder will provide strategic and technical guidance for Islamic Relief’ humanitarian programme in the East Africa region. The role involves contribution to policy development, leading disaster preparedness and response, capacity building for countries emergency response teams, and resource mobilization and ensuring that IR humanitarian programme are inclusive, relevant, and timely**
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
Has regular contact with the Regional Director, Regional Finance Manager, Regional Desk Coordinators, Country Directors, Country Emergency Coordinators/Managers, and Disaster Risk Management Department of the International office.
Communicates effectively and systematically across the organisation and wider IR family/partner offices in North America & Europe
Engages and networks with the wider international humanitarian community by attending and representing Islamic Relief and meaningfully engaging with institutional donor agencies, IRW Partners, peer organisations, networks and other key stakeholders in East Africa countries
TECHNICAL LEADERSHIP AND STRATEGY
- Develop and roll out Regional humanitarian strategy including a disaster risk reduction
- Support the country offices to develop Disaster Preparedness Plans (DPP) that provide frameworks for responding to the humanitarian needs of the people affected by disasters
- Support the country teams to integrate DRR into strategic planning and programme formulation.
- Work with IR regional offices and partners to advocate/strengthen/develop national and sub-national level policies, and plans with particular focus on ensuring the delivery of an effective, efficient, timely humanitarian response to natural and man-made disasters; and work with national government on preparedness initiatives that influence their social protection framework (such as safety nets).
- Ensure quality, transparent, inclusive and accountable programming
- ** to beneficiaries, Governments, Donors and IR, with established mechanisms for complaints and feedback.
- Contribute to IRW’s global surge capacity
- PROGRAMME IMPLEMENTATION AND MANAGEMENT
- Oversee the implementation of the humanitarian/emergency response projects in in East Africa countries, ensuring that they are delivered according to the Core Humanitarian Standards and Sphere guidelines
- Lead disaster response team in the absence Country Humanitarian Manager ensuring that IR delivers the humanitarian assistance to the affected populations.
- Lead regional response interventions. This include developing, reviewing high quality proposals, and monitoring budgets
- Assure full compliance of operations with IRW’s principles, rules, regulations and policies, operational strategies and relevant reference documents and policies (Sphere, Do no harm).
- MONITORING, EVALUATION, LEARNING AND ACCOUNTABILITY
- Undertake need assessments, baseline surveys, feasibility studies ensuring that sound methodologies are employed and that the findings inform the formulation of winning grant applications.
- Conduct real-time evaluation, post distribution monitoring and impact assessment in relation to humanitarian response in conjunction with the Country Programme M&E Coordinators and Global Monitoring and Evaluation, Accountability and Learning unit
- Produce monthly and periodical regional humanitarian updates
- Introduce innovations in the field climate change adaptations including introducing technologies and new ways of working in order to deliver lasting impact on the people the organisation serves.
- Ensure that IR humanitarian response fully complies with the CHS and other pertinent principles and regulations
- Create a culture of cross-learning among the country offices and with peer organisations
- FUNDRAISING, REPRESENTATION AND NETWORKING
- Actively participate in the Humanitarian Response Planning process and the cluster system
- ensure excellent relations with traditional and non-traditional donors are developed and maintained and that the teams meet all donor compliance requirements.
- Represent IR to regional and global relevant networks, high level meetings and working groups
- Ensure excellent internal and external communication, coordination and collaboration.
- Work with Regional Director to manage the formulation, organisation and delivery of high-level lobbying, and advocacy as part of the programme
- Contribute to research, policy development and advocacy at a regional and global level
- CAPACITY DEVELOPMENT
- Provide leadership, coaching and mentoring to staff under indirect management, ensuring that they have clear objectives and receive meaningful feedback on their performance and development.
- Develop skills and capacity of IR staff thereby establishing a team of competent disaster response personnel
- Develop and maintain a regional surge roster
- To be successful in this role you will have strong specific technical/professional knowledge from formal training and/or work experience in managing complex emergencies. You should have an in-depth understanding of DRR and Climate Change Adaptation, and knowledge of cash and market related methods of delivering assistance to disaster affected people. You will need to demonstrate ability to work creatively, innovatively and effectively. Good communication skills and demonstrated skills in training and mentoring others are a must for this position. Experience as a team worker and demonstrable inter- personal skills are highly valued for this position,
- Masters degree in Disaster Management, Environment, Agricultural economics
- A minimum of 5 years hands-on experience in similar roles at Regional and country level managing complex humanitarian emergencies. Knowledge of cash-based interventions highly preferred
- In-depth understanding of climate change frameworks, theory of change and logical frameworks/intervention logic of some of the major institutional donors and foundations
- Proven skills in survey tools, hazard and vulnerability mapping and previous experience of conducting needs assessment and baseline surveys
- Robust training skills and capacity development for disaster response team
- Proven resource mobilisation and proposal writing skills
- Experience in working in the humanitarian cluster system at senior level contributing to the country Humanitarian Response Planning process
- Proven programme & project cycle management skills – proposal and report writing skills; monitoring and evaluation skills and experience
- Commitment to ICRC Code of conduct, Sphere Standards, CHS, Child protection and Safeguarding
- Knowledge of national language spoken in the Kenya, Ethiopia, Sudan, South Sudan and Somalia would be an asset
- Interpersonal skills and team player
go to method of application »
Reporting To: Procurement Assistant
Staff Reporting: Driver
Matrix Management: Kenya Program
Under the direct supervision of the Procurement Assistant, the incumbent performs the following functions:**
- Responsible for the safety and security of the passengers and goods on board the vehicle.
- Drive and maintain the vehicle in a professional, conscientious and safe manner by obeying the local road traffic laws.
- Ensure that at all times the vehicle is equipped with the correct tools and spare parts (functioning jack, a spade, an approved tool kit, a spare wheel with a properly inflated tyre and an approved first aid kit).
- Ensure that the vehicle is checked daily and weekly, and correctly maintained.
- Ensure that the vehicle is kept clean, inside and outside, at all times and that the Organisation stickers are visible depending on the security situation.
- Report all accidents, or other incidents involving other vehicles or pedestrians, to the Procurement officer. Also ensure that proper procedures for insurance claims are followed at the times and scene of any accident.**
- To report any vehicle damage or malfunction to the Procurement Assistant as soon as possible. **
- Maintain proper records of the vehicle i.e. vehicle log-sheet, service and maintenance report**
- Responsible for loading and offloading of vehicle.
- Provide occasional interpreting services for Organisation staff.
- Observe security policy and guidelines at all times.
- Maintain records and logbooks regarding mileage, servicing, petrol consumption and general vehicle condition.
- Maintain regular radio communications between the field staff and Organisation.
- Secondary school certificate.
- Clean driving license
- Certificate in Mechanical Engineering is an added advantage
Knowledge skills and Experience:
- Well-versed in the cleaning of both the inside and outside of the vehicle
- Minimum 3 years work experience as a driver preferably with INGO
- Good Knowledge of local language and knowledge of the area of operation is an advantage.
- Proven record of picking up passengers and listening to their concerns
- Able to give accurate and detailed information about routes and journey.
- Demonstrated ability to provide a secure environment for passengers and employer while in transit
- Thorough understanding of motor vehicle engine functionality
- Competent at checking the vehicle for problems and performing pre/post trip maintenance tasks.
- Effective skills in keeping records on mileage and fuel consumption.
- Familiar with all Kenyan traffic laws and regulations.
- Known for demonstrating a high level of courtesy and professionalism to passengers and coworkers.
- Committed to helping passengers efficiently when loading and offloading their luggage
go to method of application »
Reporting To: Support Service Coordinator
Base Location: Nairobi Kenya. but will support Wajir, Mandera, Moyale, Garissa and Kilifi
Duration: 6 Months (Till December 2021).
The Procurement Interns will work under the Support Services Coordinator (SSC) at a country level, to support and assist the SSC in management procurement documentations archiving, maintain effective electronic filling system across the IRK, support procurement team in facilitation of supplier / service providers payment process.
Provide administrative support during the bid opening including not limited to printing, scanning of bid documents and among other responsibilities.
Tasked with the overall responsibilities of scanning, archiving of the procurement documentations on bi-weekly basis, and storing the scanned documents in the department external hard drive. The soft archiving system should be classified as;
- Projects / Programmes
- Tasked with the overall responsibilities of hardcopies archiving of the procurement documentations on bi-weekly basis, and storing the documents in the department metallic and wooden cupboards. The hardcopies archiving system should be classified as;
- Projects / Programmes
- Categories (Goods/services/works/consultancies).
- Compile payment documents for onward submission to the finance department for the payment facilitations.
- Track and provide regular updates to the SCC on status of supplier payments.
- Issuing of bids and recording the bidders list in the bid issuing registration form
- Receiving the bids and recording the bidders in the bid submission receipt form
- Support SSC in Implementation of approved procurement plans
- Support SSC in the Bi-weekly procurement tracker
- Support SSC in tracking the contracts tracking record
- Inspecting the goods and ensuring compliance to the 3-way-matching
- Filing of various procurement documents including but not limited to the quotations, minutes, BERs, Analysis, contracts and among others
- Support SSC in getting rid of the junkies/obsolete items in the office (disposals).
- Taking minutes of departmental meetings as well as the minutes of the bid opening sessions.
- Support the SSC in undertaking the due diligence prior to the contract awarding
- Support SSC in the market assessment exercise and attend the administrative responsibilities associated with this exercise.
- Participate in the bi-weekly department planning meetings
- Any other duties assigned by the SSC.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Supply Chain Management or related field, or significant relevant experience that shows an ability to critically analyse and apply information in management and work situations at a similar level.
- Flexibility to spend significant time in the field.
- Good skills in electronic archiving system
Method of Application
Please send us your cover letter and detailed CV, including your qualifications, experience, names and addresses of three referees, a working e-mail address and daytime telephone contacts. The forwarding e-mail and cover letter must clearly indicate the position title on the subject line. Send your application to [email protected] by Friday 23rd July, 2021.
Please note,if you applied for the role previously, you do not have to apply again, we will consider the application previously submitted.
Note: Never pay for any training, certificate, assessment, or testing to the recruiter.