This is a client facing role that resides within SBG Securities in Nairobi and primarily services institutional investor (asset managers) clients of Standard Bank Group across key capital markets in East Africa, South Africa, UK/Europe and North America.
To proactively identify, build, manage and advise a portfolio of diverse clients, ensuring that client needs are understood and fulfilled with the right equities solution, to maximise sales return within defined risk parameters while optimising cross-sell opportunities and overall client experience;
To manage coordination, communication and successful distribution of public-side ECM and DCM transactions with key internal- and external stakeholders and provide corporate broking services to select corporate executive teams.
To participate and assist the Head, Equities execute/deliver key business development/strategic opportunities across equities, and fixed income and other multi-asset class opportunities.
- Equity Sales
- Provide specialised investment advice on companies operating in Africa to a wide range of GEM, EMEA and frontier-focused institutional investors and hedge funds in the UK and US;
- Act as account manager to develop existing- and new institutional client relationships;
- Act as a bridge for research teams located in Nairobi and Lagos into South African, UK, and US institutional clients;
- Managing corporate access events such as conferences, bespoke client roadshows, webinars etc.
- Disseminate Equity research and generate investment opinions and trade ideas;
- Proactive and entrepreneurial engagement on ECM transactions distributing to institutional clients in East Africa, South Africa, UK, EU and US.
- Distribution of DCM transactions, mainly into East African institutional and High Networth clients (in collaboration with internal Client Solutions teams).
- Corporate Broking
- Provide ongoing advice to corporate clients C-suite and Investor Relation teams;
- Deliver ad-hoc and day-to-day equity market conditions, investors’ views and trading intelligence to corporate clients;
- Advise and manage investor roadshows and other corporate access events on behalf of corporate;
- Facilitate distribution and settlement of primary ECM and DCM transactions
- Work with the ECM and DCM teams to advise on the raising of equity and debt finance;
- Manage coordination, communication and settlement of public-side ECM and DCM transactions with internal (ECM/DCM, sales, sales-trading, research, legal, compliance, back office) and external (investors and syndicate desks of other banks/brokers) counterparties;
- Collaborate with the Capital Markets- and sales teams to successfully distribute- and settle primary equity capital raised to institutional clients.
- Manage the public-side (institutional clients) Syndication of African ECM and DCM transactions, acting as a bridge between corporate and institutional clients in the public engagement of ECM transactions
Preferred Qualification and Experience
- A Bachelors’ Degree in Finance, Actuarial Science, Business/Commerce, Economics or a relevant field of study;
- MBA/MSC and/or CFA qualifications
- Relevant CISI and ICIFA certifications
- At least 5-8 years’ sell-side or relevant buy-side experience in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) equities products in a senior sales/sales trading role or in an equities analyst/portfolio manager capacity.
- An understanding of Kenyan capital markets, including the regulatory environment - prior experience in Investment Banking/Corporate Finance would be an added advantage
- Seasoned experience in client relationship management with a demonstrated track record applying judgement, best practice and business knowledge to solve complex problems and improve processes.
- Hold established and current institutional investor relationships.
- Established relationships with Kenyan and broader East African listed companies and ideally have a proven track record of engaging with Corporate C-suite and Investor Relations teams.
- Have a track record in successfully executing/distributing ECM and DCM primary transactions in East Africa/SSA/or broader frontier markets;
- Proven current experience of successfully marketing/distributing ECM and DCM deals (IPO’s, Rights issues, ABB’s, Corporate Bonds etc.)
go to method of application »
Plays a strategic role in the implementation of the Bank’s Strategic initiatives which may be of a transform or disrupt nature.
As part of the integrated Business Transformation Office, the Manager, Business Transformation and Program Management will partner with the Head, Business Transformation Office in the implementation of the Transformation Agenda of the Bank with a view to promote scale and revenue growth, helping drive the Bank forward in the implementation of the Bank’s strategy.
To achieve this, the manager will play an activist role and act as:
a) an agent of transparency by ensuring that program governance structures and processes are adhered to and provide transparency on the areas that matter for the program’s success. The manager will challenge and verify program priorities, business cases and targets of program teams.
b) a forward-looking interventionist by proactively monitoring and challenging teams for potential issues and intervening where required without hesitation. In this regard, track leading indicators to identify hotspots which inform early interventions.
c) a facilitator who takes a holistic view and can bridge across business units and help enforce collaboration and ensure that programs remain business-led and IT-enabled where applicable. In this regard, maintain open communication with business about progress.
d) an active Shareholder ensuring successful program delivery and actively involved in some components of program/project delivery – program risk management and communications (actively manage communications and change management and own the narrative of “case for change”) and proactively responds to project/program data.
- Program Management
- Champion and provide an enterprise/program-wide view of progress of all initiatives – Roadmap achievement.
- Ensures overall program/project design, targets and governance are adhered to.
- Ensure project quality and compliance through effective integration into the Agile Project Office (APO) and the adherence to established standards and methodology.
- Provide line of sight, exception-based transparency to senior executives on program/project progress escalate critical issues as required.
- Provide high-touch supervisory role on exception basis for at-risk, high-value initiatives.
- Performs an administrative function of facilitation and reporting across the program; creating visibility through exception-based reporting.
- Actively monitors cross-team and initiative interdependencies.
- Manages and monitors program/project issues and risks to delivery and elevates for resolution.
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Promote a close working relationship with initiative/project owners that helps ensure leadership engagement.
- Undertake proactive and effective regular stakeholder engagements to ensure synergies, cohesion and a tightly aligned senior team with clearly defined accountability structure.
- Hardwired outcomes lock down commitments by way of measurable benefits and key performance indicators of initiatives/projects.
- Desired behaviors continually reinforced by way of high touch interface with BUs/functions to ensure transparency and value capture.
- Monitoring, Control and Reporting
- Supporting operation of minimalist program tracking and reporting methodology for milestones and impacts, within assigned portfolio:
- Track activities, milestones and progress of critical initiatives with focus on leading
- indicators to quickly detect off-course initiatives to inform early interventions.
- Frequently compare roadmap progress against initial planning.
- Manage interdependencies and risks with mitigation plans.
- Gather and monitor feedback on the delivery.
- Foster transparency on actions, issues and next steps for each initiative to foster trust and collaboration.
- Undertake ongoing assessment of whether needed resources, capabilities and support are in place to achieve results.
- Design appropriate program reporting metrics and dashboards and complete reports addressing but not limited to providing an enterprise/program-wide view of progress on agreed to initiatives (roadmap achievement), achievement of targets, program risks, program costs and benefit realization. Focus on value-based outcomes both quantitatively and qualitatively. These to be provided to senior management and relevant forums on a regular basis/set frequency.
- Communication and Change Management
- Lead the delivery of project change management requirements in allocated portfolio. In this regard;
- Develop detailed change management plans with input from all key project stakeholders, including stakeholder engagement plans, training and development plans, communication plans, risk mitigation and resistance management plans.
- Engage with Communications business partners to define communications plan including determining the types of communications channels (for example broadcasts, email newsletters, printed brochures) and the timing and governance that would be required for each communication action.
- Review change management communication materials to promote stakeholder awareness of strategic change initiatives and their full impact on the business.
- Drive change and release management process in allocated portfolio, with post-implementation reviews completed and lessons learnt reports developed.
- Work with the marketing team to understand the branding and tag lines for key programmes and projects. Collaboratively determine the most appropriate communications actions for the type of change, including, but not limited to: hand-outs, stickers and posters or branded gifts, roadshow presentations, email communications or other creative means of effectively landing the messages.
- Review change effectiveness once changes are implemented.
- Handover change initiatives to businesses, with documented records and assigned long-term owners.
- Deliver effective change management services, including the promotion of business vision, and maintaining the benefit framework linking project delivery to achievement of business benefits,
- Deliver customer facing and internal change management activities to ensure ongoing stakeholder and user engagement.
- Ensure any programme change risks or issues are highlighted in good time to senior management and appropriate boards.
- Market Trends and Analysis
- Acknowledging that the industry is ever-changing and in order to stay ahead of the curve constantly monitor disruptive trends and where appropriate recommend proactive or reactive interventions to counter/exploit these trends.
- To move with the times and keep abreast with market trends, assess and make comparisons of industry data, designed to recognise any consistent trends or results that could be used to map the Bank’s strategy. In this regard, carry out industry trend analysis to inform the Bank’s innovation agenda and decision making including but not limited to:
- Keeping track of industry developments and behaviour by absorbing industry research and trend reports to ensure an up-to-date real picture of the operating landscape is maintained and direction it is heading in is determined.
- Propose and/or analyse customer survey reports to learn more about their pressure points and determine what more your business can do to help them, recommending to senior management as appropriate.
- Competitor observation to provide a picture of their market positioning and whether they are reacting to what could be seen as an emerging trend and understand how you compare to your competitors.
- Ensure adherence to all compliance, Anti money laundering and sanctions related requirements contained in the Bank’s policies, procedures and processes.
Preferred Qualification and Experience
- First Degree in Commerce/Business Management or equivalent
- 7-10 years of working experience, 5 years of which must be experience in managing strategic change and projects
- Masters Degree in Business/ Commerce will be added advantage
- Other Qualifications, certifications or professional memberships (Advantage)
- Professional change management qualification e.g. Prosci
- Professional project management qualification e.g. PMP and membership to a relevant body e.g. PMP
go to method of application »
To support the assigned Branch Network with a consistently high-quality support structure. Proactively identify and assess the risks faced by the branches, manage the risks and have an effective system of controls in place to reduce overall exposure and provide a secure, appropriately staffed, cost-effective and responsive sales and service delivery infrastructure for Kenya and South Sudan.
- Cost focus to drive improvement in the cost to revenue ratio.
- Branch and assets safely guarded against preventable loss.
- Regular checks made to ensure that Branch are adequately staffed to provide a prompt and effective service to their customers.
- Any lapses in the application of routine, risk and loss control procedures highlighted by the Monitoring and Routine Control officers to be addressed in consultation with the Branch management.
- Branch risk identification and mitigation, including periodic reporting to business management
- Downtime of channels and systems (ATM’s, BNA, Systems e.t.c.) kept to a minimum through the provision of proactive support to the various outlets within the country.
- Premises, equipment and furnishings at Branch kept in a good state of repair and requirements for replacements or repairs timely identified, budgeted for and effected.
- Participation and support to the various business initiatives and roll-out of new/enhanced products.
- Accountability for embedding process and procedure with staff in assigned Branch Network and adherence thereto.
- Branch Audit preparation and Audit closures.
- Be the Custodian of the SLA with all stake holders and service provider for branches.
- Custodian of the Branch recovery plans and ensure they are tested and working.
- Ownership of customer contact management processes to control attrition by monitoring inactive, dormant and overdrawn accounts.
- Responsible for the implementation and adoption (within Branch, Department or Section) of all Compliance, Anti-Money Laundering and
- Sanctions related requirements contained in policies, procedures and processes. This includes the consideration and approval of PEP on-boarding and continued business engagement in instances where no adverse information is available.
- Compliance - Responsible for the implementation and adoption within CHNW Risk Management of all Compliance, Anti-Money Laundering and Sanctions related requirements contained in policies, procedures and processes. This includes the consideration and approval of customers including those that require being subjected to Enhanced Due Diligence for on-boarding and continued business.
KEY PERFORMANCE MEASURES
- Operational Losses less than 1% of Profit Before Tax
- 80% Recovery of Operational Losses.
- Actual vs. Budget Costs not more than 5% variance.
- 98% or better Uptimes of ATM’s BNAs and all channels
- 9 Satisfaction rating of Customer Satisfaction Surveys
- 95% satisfactory rating in terms of SLA’s.
- Turnaround times on customer instructions/applications
- On boarding processes bedded down
- Attrition of no more than 5%
- Dormancy management
- Internal Business Processes
- Minimum 95% Satisfactory Inspection / Monitoring /Routine Control Audits
- Business Resilience Plans tested at least one a year.
- Fraud Prevention.
- Net guardian reviews and monitoring.
- 95% Productivity rating.
- Adherence to compliance guidelines
Preferred Qualification and Experience
- A university degree in a business related course with a minimum of upper second.
- A Diploma in Banking is desirable.
- Relevant banking related courses.
- A sound grounding in general banking with 7 or more years experience especially in Branch Leadership, with 3 years at supervisory level.