Ongoing Recruitment at National Environment Management Authority - 11 Positions
Posted on: 9 October, 2018
Deadline: Not Specified
View Jobs in Government
View All Jobs at National Environment Management Authority (NEMA)
If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
The National Environment Management Authority (NEMA), is established under the Environmental Management and Co-ordination Act No. 8 of 1999 (EMCA) as the principal instrument of Government for the implementation of all policies relating to environment. EMCA 1999 was enacted against a backdrop of 78 sectoral laws dealing with various components of the environment, the deteriorating state of Kenya's environment, as well as increasing social and economic inequalities, the combined effect of which negatively impacted on the environment.
Vacancy Reference: RN0011
- Implementing wetlands,coastal and marine conservation policies and programmes
Preparing technical reports.
Initiating and establishing linkages with partners and stakeholders in order to enhance conservation of coastal, marine and freshwater eco-systems.
- Monitoring the state of coastal, marine and freshwater resources on a regular basis.
- Taking inventory of aquatic ecosystems to assist in their proper management, and to identify appropriate measures to prevent or minimize pollution.
- Collecting and collating information for development of management plans.
- Liaising with lead agencies, the private sector, NGOs and communities on CMF conservation and management activities.
- Developing national wetlands inventory; and implementing relevant Multilateral Environmental Agreements (MEAs) and coastal, marine and freshwater programmes including donor funded projects.
- Developing and supervising implementation of management plans for the sustainable utilization and conservation of coastal, marine and freshwater ecosystems.
- Liaising with the relevant lead agencies and other stakeholders to ensure monitoring and taking inventory of coastal, marine and freshwater ecosystems to assist in their proper management.
- Identifying and verifying appropriate measures to prevent pollution.
- Coordinate lead agencies and stakeholders in implementation of coastal marine section activities as per approved NEMA Work Plan
- Bachelor's Degree in any of the following disciplines; Aquatic Ecology (FreshWater),Marine Ecology, Wetland Management, Environmental Science or any other relevant field from a recognized institution
- Master's Degree in any of the following disciplines; Aquatic Ecology (FreshWater),Marine Ecology, Limnology, Wetlands Management, Conservation Biology or any other relevant field from a recognized institution
- Management Course lasting not less than four (4) weeks.
- Nine (9) years relevant work experience in environmental field.
- Computer Skills
- Demonstrated proffessional ability,initiative and competence in organising and directing work.
- Excellent Communication and Report Writing Skills
- Leadership skills
- Ensuring that all NEMA legal instruments are developed and filed on time.
- Maintaining records of all legal documents.
- Filing legal documents in court.
- Maintaining and updating the Registry for Multilateral Environmental Agreements (MEAs) in consultation with other government agencies.
- Preparing briefs and coordinating preparatory meetings for Kenya’s delegation to international meetings relating to MEA’s.
- Assisting in the development of By-laws and ensuring that they are in conformity with the Environmental Management and Coordination Act 1999.
- Liaising with other department’s staff on drafting of legal documents.
- Offering technical support to field officers in the enforcement of environmental laws.
- Attending court proceedings.
- Advising interested groups and Counties on environmental legislation and representing the Authority in judicial and quasi-judicial forums.
- A Bachelors’ degree in Law (LLB) or its equivalent qualification from a recognized university.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Law from Kenya School of Law.
- Certificate in a Management Course lasting not less than four (4) weeks.
- Current practicing certificate.
- Five (5) years working experience in legal practice.
- Demonstrated professional competence in legal practice.
- Be an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya.
- Verifying periodical financial returns to establish adequacy of accounting for funds disbursed and revenue/Appropriation-in-Aid (A-in-A) and reporting on any deviations from approved levels.
- Ensuring validity and accuracy of payments and procurements.
- Identifying any accounting errors and cases of fraud for investigation.
- Verifying utilization of Authority’s resources and making appropriate recommendations.
- Undertaking specific audit assignments and preparing draft audit reports.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance option or its equivalent qualification from a recognized institution.
- Part II of the Certified Public Accountants (CPA) Examination or its equivalent qualification from a recognized institution.
- Knowledge in computer application.
- Recording dictation in shorthand and transcribing it in typewritten form.
- Typing from drafts.
- Performing general office tasks.
- Writing simple routine correspondence.
- Taking charge of documents and files, including classified materials.
- Receiving and attending to visitors.
- Ensuring security of the office documents and equipment.
- Supervising junior staff working under him/her.
- Passed in the following subjects offered by the Kenya National Examinations Council (KNEC); Typewriting III (50 WPM)/Computerized Document Processing III. Shorthand III (100 WPM) Business English III/Communication II,Commerce II, Secretarial Duties
- Secretarial Duties II
- Bachelor's Degree in Social Studies plus a Diploma in Secretarial Studies from a recognized institution
- Either a Diploma/Higher Diploma in Secretarial Studies from a recognized institution OR;
- Bachelor’s degree in any of the following disciplines: Secretarial Studies, Office Management, Business and Office Management or any relevant degree from a recognized
- institution OR Bachelor’s degree in Social Studies plus a Diploma in Secretari
- Business English III/Communication II
- Commerce II
- Office Management III
- Shorthand III (100 WPM)
- Typewriting III (50 WPM)/Computerized Document Processing III.
- A certificate of Computer Applications windows, MS Word, Excel, Access and Internet from a recognized institution.
- Six (6) years relevant working experience.
- Being competent in driving vehicles and capable of detecting common mechanical faults.
- Be responsible for the maintenance of the vehicle.
- Carrying out minor repairs including oiling and greasing.
- Maintenance of work ticket for vehicles assigned tothe officer and ensuring safety of the vehicle on and off the road.
- Maintaining cleanliness of the assigned vehicle.
- KCSE minimum Grade D (plain) or its equivalent from a recognized institution.
- Valid and Clean Driving License free any endorsement.
- First Aid Course for not less one (1) week from St. Johns Ambulance of Kenya or Kenya Highways and Buidling Technology (KIBHT) or any other recognized institution.
- Atleast five (5) years active driving experience.
- Ensuring that letters are appropriately filed and marked to action officers.
- Controlling and opening of files and updating file index.
- Ensuring security and safety of information/files in the registry.
- Updating and maintaining up-to-date file movement records.
- Ascertaining the general cleanliness of the registry.
- Diploma or Higher Diploma in any of the following fields: Record/Information Management, Information/Library Science or equivalent qualification from a recognized institution
- Certificate in Computer Applications
- Relevant Experience in Records Management will be an added advantage.
- Providing general routine office services.
- Providing cleaning services.
- Undertaking messengerial duties.
- Tea Preparation.
- Undertaking gardening services, as may be assigned by the supervisor in the area of deployment.
- Kenya Ceritifcate of Secondary Education (KCSE) mean grade D (plain) or its equivalent from a recognized institution.
- Relevant experience in a similar position will be an added advantage.
- Copies of academic transcripts
- Must be a graduate with a relevant first degree or diplomain the following fields; Environmental, Accounting/Finance, Procurement, ICT/GIS, PR, Law, Record Management and HRM, BA,obtained from a recognized institution within the last three (3) years
- The candidate must be in possession of the relevant certificate
- Must not have benefit from the program before
- Personal accident insurance cover for personal risks
- Medical insurance cover by the National Hospital Insurance Fund (NHIF) or any other reputable medical insurance firm
- A valid certificate of good conduct from the Directorate of Criminal Investigation
- Be unemployed youth aged between twenty one (21) and thirty four (34) years of age
Vacancy Reference: RN0010
- Initiating development of Environment action planning process
- Integration of environmental concerns into plans, projects, and activities.
- Identifying environmental significant sites and environmental degraded areas.
- Spearheading preparation of Ecosystem, Environmental Management Plans, and taking stock of natural resources;
- Mainstreaming of environmental economics into overall development planning.
- Preparation of work plans, Performance Contract, progress reports for the department.
- Analyzing reports on land use patterns to determine their impacts on the quality and quantity of natural resources.
- Coordinating preparation of bankable proposals.
- Coordinating preparation of National Environment Action Plan (NEAP) and capacity building of Counties to prepare County Environment Action Plans (CEAPs).
- Implementing relevant Multilateral Environment Agreements (MEAs) and other agreements in the field of environment.
- Monitoring compliance with national and county environment plans.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) / email(s) below to apply on company website.
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Know more about National Environment Management Authority (NEMA)Similar Jobs
- Jobs at County Government of Kiambu - 50 Positions
- Career Opportunities at Ministry of Labour
- Latest Jobs at Nandi County
- Secretary at Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission
- Career Opportunities at Kenya School of Law
- Latest Vacancies at Anti-Counterfeit Agency
- Career Opportunities at Nairobi City County Public Service Board (NCPSB) - 458 Positions
- Medical Officers at Kilifi County - 10 Positions