Standard Bank is not an abstract legal entity. We are our people. And our people have a distinct culture – a way of thinking and behaving.
To help us embody this culture in everything we do, we’ve come up with six attributes: expertise, opportunity, integrity, collaboration, performance and growth. These attributes explain what we believe in collectively. They also guide our behaviour and give us a shared frame of reference for what matters most to us. Ultimately, these are qualities we want our business to stand for.
But each of them starts with you.
Ensure that the Bank’s needs to provide adequate controls over the risks encountered in the post-credit granting stage of the credit process are satisfied by ensuring the appropriateness, consistency, validity and enforceability of all collateral confirming that all collateral and legal documentation in respect of business banking facilities and advances granted have been obtained are in legal order and properly housed.
To assist PBB in achieving their asset growth targets by providing effective value adding risk management, through judicious and effective management thereof.
The delivery of a professional service to the business units based on sound legal principles which supports the minimising of risk to the bank
- Partner and business support
- Provide accurate, expert and specialist legal advice to all divisions and business banking unit.
- Participate in knowledge sharing within the Legal team.
- Manage adherence to the service level agreement for internal and external processes
- Proactive follow up of all matters with advocates to ensure faster draw down.
- Build relationship with, branch based business bankers and relationship managers to improve quality of business proposals and turnaround time on security perfection
- Attend meetings with and maintain regular contact with Front office/product areas in order to build good working relationships
- Governance and controls
- Ensuring group governance standards are effectively embedded resulting in nil CRR, Audit & CART findings
- Ensure that only external attorneys as approved by the bank is used when preparing and registering collateral.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant laws, regulations and bank policies and procedures.
- Ensure that no facilities are availed prior to perfection of collateral subject to compliance with the Credit Policy and Procedures where no approval is provided.
- Ensure that all relevant reports are submitted on the due dates and actioned accordingly.
- Credit loss management
- Ensure receipt of all Legal documents from the advocates, are in order, before recommendation of funds drawdown subject to compliance with the Credit Policy and Procedures.
- Ensure that all legal documentation lodged for safekeeping have been scrutinised and confirmed to be in legal order.
- Credit risk control
- Drafting of facility letters and security documents
- Accuracy in drafting of collateral documentation in line with sanction.
- Ensuring clarity of facility letters while paying special attention to lending covenants, structural and legal risks arising from transactions.Continous engagement with CEM is recommended
- in the event of ambiguities.
- Ensuring all collateral documents are provided as a complete package when issuing offer letters
- Ensure that all assets being secured in favour of the bank and in support of facilities are acceptable for collateral purposes, are current, have been verified, valued and where applicable,
- sufficiently insured.
- Ensure that follow up is done on required collateral, current and sufficient insurance cover, current valuations, renewal of insurance cover, etc. and escalations are done where matters remain unresolved
- Monitor watch lists process to ensure that all accounts with irregular collateral deemed high risk are highlighted for discussion and thereafter proactive escalation of breached agreed action plans.
- Continuous thinning of security dockets.
- Responsible for the implementation and adoption within BB Collateral of all Compliance, Anti-Money Laundering and Sanctions related requirements contained in policies, procedures and processes. This includes the consideration and approval of customers including those that require being subjected to Enhanced Due Diligence for on-boarding and continued business.
- Legal support
- Where required provide guidance to credit evaluation team in respect of conditions of sanction required for mitigation of legal risk
- Security release
- Ensure that the release and disposal of any facilities letters / loan agreements / collateral documentation have been authorised by the relevant authority.(Temporary release of collateral for upstamping,takeover by a different financier, release of shares for BB,release of SBLCs & cash margin or as the case may be).
- Support continuous improvement
- Responsibility for continuous improvement relating to design and continuously improving existing and new business processes.
- Play a role in supporting BB credit risk change agenda.
- Review of relevant internal & external communications, such as circulars, legal reviews/judgements relevant to the lending processes to ensure that any development, new requirements or external risks are properly taken cognizance of in securitisation processes and/ or lending decisions or conditions of lending.
- Support HBB to develop new collateral policies, following existing policies and identifying and reporting any policy exceptions
- Carry out other functions that could be assigned on daily basis in addition to present roles.
Preferred Qualification and Experience
- Academic and Professional Level
- Bachelor of Laws Degree.
- Post Graduate Diploma – Kenya School of Law.
- Admitted advocate in Kenya.
Minimum five (5) years’ experience either in a financial institution or in a top-tier law firm with a thriving commercial, corporate, M&A, and/or financial services practice.
- Deal with a wide range of customer queries, showing sensitivity to customers’ individual requirements as well as the Bank’s laid-down operational/procedural limitations.
- Refer problems falling outside of parameters to the Head of Legal for resolution.
- Able to take the initiative within limits of authority.
- Required to follow laid-down policies and procedures at all times.
- Planning is generally on a daily basis within regular activity cycles.
- Able to deal efficiently with work volumes while remaining focused on priority issues.
- Demonstrable sound legal background/knowledge of the regulatory universe.
A senior management position that carries full responsibility for the credit approval and management process in respect of a portfolio. Develop and maintain co-operative relationships between all stakeholders in the credit value chain. This position will likely include leadership responsibility for a team of Credit Managers.
- Credit Evaluation and Approval of Credit Applications:
- Strong analytical skills, with the ability to review and understand complex transactions
- Analysis of credit applications to assess whether the credit risk is in line with the Bank’s Credit Appetite and relative to the profitability of the deal.
- Assessment and understanding of the Risk Reward for each deal reviewed.
- Deliver well thought out decisions showing sound judgement where applications are within Delegated Authority.
- Effective communication of credit risk of analyses and recommendations where applications require referral.
- Specialist knowledge of Project Finance, Structured Transactions or other Product knowledge a requirement.
- Credit Origination
- Origination of credits; customer engagement, deal analysis, preparation of credit application and presentation of credit proposal to the relevant DA.
- Present applications to Credit Committee, consisting of Exco members.
- Responsible for the implementation and adoption (within the Department) of all Compliance, Anti-Money Laundering and Sanctions related requirements contained in policies, procedures and processes. This includes the consideration and approval of PEP on-boarding and continued business engagement in instances where no adverse information is available.
- On-going Credit Management:
- Post credit approval monitoring and credit risk control which includes but is not limited to covenant monitoring, crafting of credit strategy for accounts on Close Monitoring or watch-list, collateral compliance tracking, excess and arrears management.
- Proactively communicate key risks and recommend adjustments to credit appetite and strategy as appropriate.
- Overall management of the portfolio of accounts with appropriate escalation.
- Monitoring, questioning and understanding changes in credit quality in any counterparty/industry.
- Making recommendations to the Head of CIB Credit regarding portfolio strategies (Country and Industry trends and the strategic implications for managing the credit facilities of clients in those geographies and industries).
- Proven ability to lead teams, manage and develop Credit Managers.
- Demonstrate and/or develop a proactive, “Change The Bank” mindset.
- Ability to influence all key stakeholders through knowledge and experience.
- Identify and drive change within Credit and the Business by initiating and owning change projects.
- Represent the Unit at various forums including Credit Committee, CRMC, Watch-list, NPL committee.
Preferred Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor and Masters Degree in relevant area
- Professional / Tertiary qualifications preferable.
- Prior banking/ financial institutions experience advantageous.
- Experience in deal origination, structuring, corporate finance will be advantageous
- 5 years experience in credit
- Strong decision making experience with regards to credit issues
- Understand the Credit recovery process and actively participate on Watch-list
- Proven track record of leading teams essential
- Designated Authority Level: DA8 to DA5
- A solid background in credit, 5+ years at decision making level, preferably a track record of operating with a personal delegated authority.
- Thorough working knowledge of the Risk systems monitoring, and its related procedures, for analysing the account behaviour of clients, identifying trends and shifts in credit risk profiles.
- Thorough understanding of bank’s products and facilities that give rise to counter party credit risk.
- Strong technical understanding of non-credit risks encountered within transactions.
- Knowledge of financial markets (Global and especially African economies).
- Thorough conceptual and practical knowledge of credit procedures, policies, standards.
- Knowledge of risk systems and derivative instruments.
- Assuming the lead on projects and bringing to conclusion.
Risk Management: understanding all risks – from the economic to the political – that could affect our global business, and offering guidance to all parts of the bank
- Be a member of BSR Rest of Africa Team.
- To identify, manage and provide advice in connection with distressed and defaulted exposures within the Corporate and Investment Banking clients and Business Banking Clients in line with the BS&R Mandate as revised from time to time.
- To provide leadership on all matters pertaining to distressed and default exposure.
- The role holder will primarily be responsible for maximizing recovery of bad debts including those previously written off in the bank’s books.
- He/She will be responsible for maintenance of the accounts in the BS&R portfolio by ensuring compliance with both internal and regulatory and procedural controls and guidelines.
- He/She will also take responsibility for ensuring timely and accurate completion and submission of management information on the portfolio to all stakeholders in accordance with laid down procedures and act as a point of contact with all relevant stakeholders on BSR matters.
- Responsible for management of NPL names (primary responsibility) with decisions approved through Ad-hoc and monthly NPL committees.
- Act as key account liaison to deal with queries and issues from Relationship Managers, Risk , Operations and Collateral Teams as well as with external professionals such as valuers, auctioneer’s, lawyers, receivers etc. on matters relating to Non-Performing Loans
- Responsible for advising CIB/ BB on performing loans showing signs of distress (Close Monitoring, Watchlist names). This will be executed through but not limited to Portfolio Rapid Risk
- Reviews, Close Monitoring and Watchlist Committees.
- Provide recommendations to improve business and banking risk and enhance customer relationships to Business and Credit Teams.
- Brief Heads of Business to enable them to lead negotiations with watch listed names. .
- Responsible for recommending impairment requirement (provisions) to the CIB/ BB Specific Debt Provisioning Forums (chaired by Chief Risk Officer, meeting held monthly.
- Ensuring internal, IFRS, and regulatory provisioning requirements are met.
- Responsible for collecting and maintaining loan loss database. Database updated as and when exposures change, or material recovery event occurs.
- Assess counterparties, the current security position and where appropriate take additional security.
- Participate and sometimes lead Rapid Risk Reviews for Kenya in order to identify potential watch list and non-performing loans early.
- Be involved and influence client visits and negotiations to manage credit recovery processes including restructure and or renegotiation of facilities.
- Provide advice to various stakeholders on credit recovery administration and liquidation / receivership processes.
- Document and communicate relevant decisions to all relevant stakeholders.
- Assist with relevant reporting returns and provide advice on these where required.
- Participate in industry initiatives from time to time
Preferred Qualification and Experience
- Relevant Business Degree.
- Minimum 5 years banking experience covering Credit; Corporate and Investment Banking. Experience within a BS&R environment an added advantage
- Specialist knowledge
- Demonstrates a clear understanding of the role BS&R should perform within CIB/ BB and must be able to provide direction and strategic thinking where appropriate in relation to distressed and defaulted exposures.
- Should have sound knowledge in
- accounting and financial principles
- credit risk management
- Business Banking
- investment banking
- corporate banking
- Legal principles related to lending; collateral rights; insolvency law and business rescue
- And ability to translate and apply this knowledge to optimise positive outcomes.
- Risk Management
- Understands and manages strategic and operational risk including understanding and conforming to the relevant processes and procedures within BS&R, BB and CIB.
- Competencies required in delivering accurate and relevant results and assessing risk including attention to detail, delivery of accurate and relevant research, proactive and timely delivery of requirements, ownership of problems, understanding of impact of non-delivery and sub-standard performance.
- Must show decisiveness in recommending for problem accounts to be put on Watchlist when trends or available information show a deterioration in risk profile of clients.
Achievement of the business targets, income and profit budgets by way of engaging the stakeholders and offering insurance supports and advice to commercial lines customers.
Manage and develop business strategies and identify opportunities within the segments for commercial lines. Implement strategies for profitable results.
Overview of policy classes.
Helping in diversifying our business portfolio into other non- conventional product which is in line with current market trends e.g. Terrorism cover, cables, contractors all risks cover, Trade and credit insurance, renewable energy etc.
Ensuring that policies issued are in line with the risk exposures for clients.
Providing technical input to clients and the team, this should help in revenue generation...
- Sales Management
- Oversee the sales performance on CIB lines.
- Identify anomalies and develop strategies to rectify and improve performance.
- Maximize penetration of SIA by achieving sales volumes targets timeously
- Correction of poor performance
- Achieve targets
- Relationship building
- Constantly maintain a professional environment and celebrate our successes
- Timeously feedback to the network
- Build relationship with key stakeholders
- Attend regular meetings with key stakeholders
- Analysis competitor trends, pricing to optimize on sales
- Liaise with insurance companies
- Service all complaints in respect of our clients
- Ensures competency-based training on Advisory products takes place with various stakeholders as and when required.
- Servicing of expenses and control cost to income ratios
- Control expenses and use them correctly in order for us to achieve the highest return related to business
- Analysis MIS and act accordingly
- Apply knowledge, resources and experience to resolve problems
- Able to follow or professional challenge defined processes
- Participate in adhoc company events
- Support other business units and other departments within SIA
- Live the values and the brand
- Be a brand Ambassador
- Share best practices, tactics and action plans
- Risk & Compliance
- Provides complete disclosure to the customers in terms of accreditation, service fees, and commission.
- Ensures proper record keeping in terms of Proceeds of Crime and Anti Money Laundering Act, The Banking Act (Cap 488), The Anti-Corruption & Economic Crimes Act, The Insurance Act (Cap 487) and any other relevant legislation
- Ensure all forms are completed correctly and send to Operations for uploading to Bancassurance Policy Management system as the record keeper
- Assist channel in achieving their risk compliance ratings in terms of all SIA requirements
- Ensure customers are satisfied with SIA Advisory solutions
Preferred Qualification And Experience
- Relevant degree from a recognized university
- ACII or other relevant high level insurance qualification
- Previous banking or Insurance sales
- Experience of working within a team that delivers
- Experience in the Insurance and insurance broking industry
- Proven business acquisition skills
- Over 10 years’ experience in handling Business/ commercial customers
- Understanding of macro-economic, business, social, political trends and the transformation of this knowledge into operational strategy
- In depth understanding of range of solutions in the market, competitor advantages and disadvantages and our own product competitive position
- A sound understanding of risk cycles pertaining to the industry being analysed.
- A good current knowledge and understanding of different industry sectors and sector risk profiles/ trends.
- Results orientated/Customer service focused and people orientated
- Negotiation, listening skill, presentation skills, sales skills, communication skills, marketing skills and coaching skills
- Problem-solving Skills
- Analyses and monitors sales trends and volumes and proposes changes to training, processes, systems and procedures. Ensures compliance to standards. Intervenes when problems and issues arise.
- Negotiates or resolves conflict and differences, agrees upon courses of action, bargains for advantage, to satisfy various needs: Realises seriousness, shows diplomacy and transparency, and involves key parties.
- Plans sales activities to meet and exceed targets on a daily weekly and monthly basis.
- Formulates action plans - sets goals, standards and priorities on a daily weekly and monthly basis.
- Ensures effective implementation of change initiatives (new process, systems and work methods).
- The job holder should plan 3-6 months ahead
- Decision making
- Monitors and responds to changes in the environment to ensure that customer's needs are met.
- Decisions must be made within policies, but the jobholder can propose changes to the process.
- Able to take the initiative within limits of authority.
- Relationship building skills
- Ability to build and sustain credibility with key stakeholders
Method of Application
Use the link(s) / email(s) below to apply on company website.