Basic Salary: - Ksh.420,567 - Ksh.744,078 p.m.
House Allowance: - Ksh.92,042 p.m.
Medical Cover As may be provided by the University
Other Management Allowances
Terms of Service: - Five (5) years Contract (Renewable Once) subject to satisfactory performance).
For appointment to this position, a candidate must;
- be a Kenyan citizen;
- be a holder of an earned PhD degree from a reputable university as well as a full professor of a university recognized in Kenya;
- have had at least fifteen (15) years academic and research experience at a senior level;
- have served successfully with demonstrable results as a substantive Principal of a Constituent College or as a Deputy Vice Chancellor of a University for at least three (3) years;
- have proven scholarly record demonstrated by publications in internationally peer reviewed journals, books and book chapters in their areas of specialization, and supervision of Masters and Doctoral students;
- have excellent understanding of the government's financial and fiscal policies, strategic planning and Vision 2030, Human Resource Management and Public Procurement and Asset Disposal Processes;
- have demonstrable experience in networking, fundraising, resource mobilization, attraction of research grants as well as consultancy in the development of a University;
- have demonstrable record of leadership and implementation of academic, administrative, planning and financial programmes, development of strategic institutional linkages, staff and student exchange;
- (ix) have excellent understanding of current trends in University education and training globally and the factors and conditions shaping development of university education in Kenya;
- have excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills;
- be a registered member of professional association/s, where applicable, and be of good standing; and
- be of high ethical standards, integrity and accountability and comply with the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution.
The following core competencies will be required:
- excellent organizational, interpersonal and effective communication skills as well as logical and sound decision-making ability;
- creativity and innovation;
- be visionary and result oriented; and
- be firm, fair, accountable and transparent in the conduct of one's duties.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Vice Chancellor is the Chief Executive Officer and the academic and administrative head of the University. He/she will be answerable to the University Council for the following duties and responsibilities as set out in the Universities Act 2012, the MMUST Charter 2013 and Statutes;
- providing strategic, innovative and creative direction and leadership to the University by competitively positioning and representing the University nationally, regionally and internationally;
- developing and recommending to Council strategies, business plans, annual budgets and establishing proper monitoring control systems and procedures;
- be responsible for the implementation of the Council's decisions and resolutions.
- overall responsibility of managing, directing, organizing and administering of programmes of the University.
- coordinating the development and implementation of the academic and administrative policies of the University in accordance with the University's master plan and the strategic plan;
- promoting efficiency and good order of the University including staff and student welfare, conduct and discipline and ensure enforcement of the Statutes and regulations;
- providing innovative and creative leadership in the areas of academics, finance,
- planning and development; general administration; research and partnership.
- facilitating and maintaining cooperation with government institutions, regulatory agencies, local and international institutions of higher learning and other stakeholders.
- any other responsibilities as may be assigned or delegated by the Council as provided for in the Universities Act 2012, University Charter, 2013 and Statutes.
INTERESTED APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO NOTE:
The names of shortlisted candidates shall be published on the Commission’s website;
Shortlisted candidates will be required to present originals of the following documents during the interviews;
- National Identity Card;
- Academic and Professional Certificates and transcripts;
- Any other supporting documents and testimonials;
- Recommendations from relevant professional bodies and associations; and
- Clearances from the following bodies:
- Kenya Revenue Authority;
- Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission;
- Higher Education Loans Board;
- Any of the Registered Credit Reference Bureaus;
- Directorate of Criminal Investigations (Police Clearance Certificate)
Recommendations from at least three (3) referees should be sent separately to the address below.
Candidates may submit manual (hard copy) or electronic (online) applications.
All applications should be submitted together with detailed curriculum vitae, a copy of ID/Passport, copies of academic certificates, testimonials and any other relevant supporting documents.
Manual applications should be submitted in a sealed envelope clearly marked:
“Application for Vice Chancellor – MMUST”
“Application for Deputy Vice Chancellor (Academic & Students Affairs) - MMUST”
“Application for Deputy Vice Chancellor (Administration & Finance) - MMUST”
“Application for Deputy Vice Chancellor (Planning Research & Innovation) - MMUST” and delivered to:
Public Service Commission
P.O Box 30095-00100
Online applications may be submitted via email to: email@example.com
All applications should reach the Public Service Commission on or before 2nd March, 2021 latest by 5.00 p.m. (East African Time)