Report to: Board of Directors
Summary: Directly responsible for the overall leadership and management of the hotel and function of all employees, facilities, operation, sales, costs and profit according to standards, budgets, key results and objectives
STANDARDS OF PERFORMANCE:
Must be able to perform the functions of management, build technical and managerial teams, and maintain high degree of physical and moral courage. Professional ethics will guide all activities.
Should be a graduate of a four-year university program or equivalent that has included financial management, human resource management, food & beverage management, rooms division management, property management, marketing, control, legal aspects of hotel operations, leadership.
Must have a minimum of five years of practical experience in general management and leadership in a medium size hotel with profit responsibility.
- a) Intelligence: Must have above-average intelligence and a pleasant personality
- b) Verbal and language: Should have above-average verbal skills and be able to speak and understand English, Kiswahili an additional foreign language will be an advantage
Physical skills Required: Must be capable of withstanding pressure of long meetings, have a long attention span and capable of enduring long periods of standing
Should be able to operate computer and with an understanding of Micros, Fidelio and Enterprise Resource Enterprise.
- Physical surroundings
Work is performed in normal executive surroundings with numerous interruptions
- Days and times of Duty: Under normal circumstances, six-day week.
- Compensation- Confidential
- Planning skills
- able to maximize use of time and plan ahead
- Able to set standards
- Able to determine and set priorities
- Able to maximize potentials of his market, supplies, labour and physical plant to greater advantage
- Aware of governmental and union regulations, contracts and practices
- Aware of organizational policies, procedures and directives
- Organizational Ability: Able to
- Organize his efforts
- Select, orient, train and develop subordinates
- Organize and assist the efforts of subordinates
- Delegate responsibility
- Organize for maximum guest satisfaction in accordance with the hotel’s standards
- Leadership ability: Able to
– assume responsibility
– Improve and change operations when necessary
-Create and maintain good working conditions
-Create the climate to motivate staff to excel
-Develop and support an organizational and departmental team
-Must have a friendly positive personality
- Analytical Ability: Able to
- Analyze financial performance
- Analyze current performance relative to standards
- Accurately forecast
- Staff and forecast levels
- Evaluation and Control skills: able to
- Interpret analysis, identify weaknesses and initiate corrective action needed
- Reward or discipline staff
- Follow-up effectively
- Control employees’ skills and services
- Control assets
- Communication Skills: able to
- Conduct effective meetings
- Constantly communicate organizational objectives up and down the line
- Report on performance to subordinates and superiors
- Business minded
- Profit conscious- able to produce acceptable return on investment
- Aware of competition and evaluate its effectiveness
- Aware of policies and directives
- Product knowledge:
- Has knowledge of Food and beverage, Rooms division, conference, Procurement, Sanitation, Employee relations, Recreation
- Able to maintain reports schedule
- Specific responsibilities:
- Ensures that each criterion in the hotel are communicated, understood, achieved and maintained by hotel staff.
- Performs each criterion as contained in the hotel “General Manager’s Standard Operating procedures”
- Creates an operating environment that assures consistent guest satisfaction.
- Monitors the performance of the hotel through verification and analysis of guest satisfaction systems and financial reports and initiates corrective action.
- Maintains product and service quality standards by conducting ongoing evaluations and investigating complaints and initiates corrective action.
- Develops accurate and aggressive long and short-range financial objectives consistent with the Company’s mission statement.
- Prepares financial reports for management that clearly explain operational effectiveness, trends and variances.
- Establishes and maintains a pro-active human resource function to ensure employee motivation, training and development, wage and benefits administration, and compliance with established labor regulations.
- Maintains an appropriate level of community public affairs involvement.
- Executes marketing, sales, and operational activities, producing results that meet or exceed the hotel’s business plan.
- Ensures good safety practices of employees and guests, assisting in the maintenance of proper emergency and security procedures.
- Establishes and maintains applicable preventive maintenance programs to protect the physical assets of the hotel.
- Implements and maintains effective open-door communication system that crosses departmental lines in order to reach all employees.
- Understands the government regulations affecting hotel’s operations, ensuring hotel is operated in compliance with all applicable laws, ordinances, regulations, and requirements of any federal, state or municipal authority.
- Deals with the general public, customers, employees, union and government officials with tact and courtesy.
- Plans and organizes the work of others.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Should be a University graduate of a four-year university program in Hospitality Management or its equivalent from an accredited university.
- A minimum of five years of practical experience in general management and leadership in a medium or large size busy reputable hotel
- Knowledge of computer skills such as Fidelio, micros. ERP
- Have integrity, strong leadership, analytical, team building and problem solving skills